Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vilma suing Goodell for defamation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation. Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/#!/jvarneyTP/status/203204155358187521

Quote:
Saints LB Jon Vilma filed suit in Eastern District (federal) court in Louisiana today. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a defendant.

I'm starting to think this will never end.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 45 Tkls 4 PD 1 SCK 2 INTs
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
playmaker8267

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Vilma | New Orleans Saints wrote:
As I've said before..I NEVER PAID, NOR INTENDED TO PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY,TO ANY PLAYER FOR INTENTIONALLY HURTING AN OPPONENT.

Jonathan Vilma | New Orleans Saints wrote:
maybe this will get some people attention

Posted about two minutes ago. He's fuming.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he wins.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him to win.

Fify.
lifeinthaboot

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised a few phone calls happens and 1) Vilma gets released 2) Never gets resigned even though one would think he has something left in the tank.

The Comish powers has no limits Twisted Evil

Last edited by lifeinthaboot on Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time someone took a stand against the commish. I think this is just starting. everything comes out in the wash
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeinthaboot wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised a few phone calls happens and 1) Vilma gets released 2) Never gets resigned even though one would think he has something left in the tank.

The Comish powers has no limits Twisted Evil

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vilma isn't your favorite player in Saints history the only question I have is...why?
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, it's a very bold move, and it will likely force Goodell to release the evidence.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
If Vilma isn't your favorite player in Saints history the only question I have is...why?

Because Saints' history has far better players than Vilma. Don't get me wrong, I think Vilma is/was a great leader for the defense. IMO he's not the greatest in franchise history. So, not my fave or even close... everyone entitled to an opinion tho Wink

If I read the post wrong, please tell me...

Now, what is 'defamation of character'? Forgive me for being blunt here: There's way too many lawsuits because someone got their 'butt' hurt. With that said, the only part of the lawsuit that may have any validity is the 'not turning over evidence' portion.

^NS922 on the sig^
mrnasties NO

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Because Saints' history has far better players than Vilma. Don't get me wrong, I think Vilma is/was a great leader for the defense. IMO he's not the greatest in franchise history. So, not my fave or even close... everyone entitled to an opinion tho Wink

Now, what is 'defamation of character'? Forgive me for being blunt here: There's way too many lawsuits because someone got their 'butt' hurt. With that said, the only part of the lawsuit that may have any validity is the 'not turning over evidence' portion.

Computer is to slow otherwise, I would post the link. Go to espn and actually look at the lawsuit and it will make sense.
Raves

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

defamation is a lot like libel. Basically he's saying that he's innocent that he never intended there to be actual physical harm done to another person and that Goodell's assertion of such as being fact was making Vilma, who many had held his character in high regards, lowered the perception of Vilma in the eyes of the public.

This will require Goodell to provide proof that Vilma committed such acts at the very least which means releasing all the documents he supposedly has on the Saints team, and if he can't provide such proof then Goodell could lose quite a bit of money and give Vilma, as well as the rest of the players involved, a huge case to mount and also win an appeal.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

defamation is a lot like libel. Basically he's saying that he's innocent that he never intended there to be actual physical harm done to another person and that Goodell's assertion of such as being fact was making Vilma, who many had held his character in high regards, lowered the perception of Vilma in the eyes of the public.

This will require Goodell to provide proof that Vilma committed such acts at the very least which means releasing all the documents he supposedly has on the Saints team, and if he can't provide such proof then Goodell could lose quite a bit of money and give Vilma, as well as the rest of the players involved, a huge case to mount and also win an appeal.

Hypothetical question...What if Vilma wins this law suit and Goodell doesn't provide the proof necessary. What would happen with our draft picks? They were already taken and we already lost out on our 2nd round pick this year, how would the NFL make that up to us?

I don't think this will actually happen as I believe he has the proof but its an interesting thing to discuss and think about

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Hypothetical question...What if Vilma wins this law suit and Goodell doesn't provide the proof necessary. What would happen with our draft picks? They were already taken and we already lost out on our 2nd round pick this year, how would the NFL make that up to us?

I don't think this will actually happen as I believe he has the proof but its an interesting thing to discuss and think about

From what I understand, Vilma's case is only directed toward him and if he participated, so no other suspensions/penalties/fines will be overturned except maybe the other three player suspensions. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Raves

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willthethrill_H wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

From what I understand, Vilma's case is only directed toward him and if he participated, so no other suspensions/penalties/fines will be overturned except maybe the other three player suspensions. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, there is proof that hte Saints had a pay for play system and that has been proven and admitted as such by players and coaches that continued even after being told to stop. The attempt to maim and injure which is what Vilma is suing against could possibly have the suspensions reduced further or made non-existent. I think the Payton, Williams, Vitt, and Loomis are screwed regardless due to the fact they were told to stop the pay for play system and never did, but the players might be able to get a ltitle lighter sentence. It's also very hard to prove intent so there is a chance that Vilma could win.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: