Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3-4 possibilities
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I like the 3-4, but I really think the 4-3 is getting a bad name for really odd reasons in the modern NFL. While the 3-4 is definitely becoming more common, since 2000, the numbers aren't hugely in favor of one side.

Superbowl Teams Running a 4-3: 15
Superbowl Teams Running a 3-4: 11

Superbowl Winning Teams Running a 4-3: 6
Superbowl Winning Teams Running a 3-4: 7

And you could even argue these numbers are slightly skewed because of the Patriots dynasty. One really isn't superior to the other. It's entirely about personnel.

Superbowls involve offense though. Not a great measure of effectiveness. I think yards per play allowed and points per game are better measures.

I prefer a 3-4 for no other reason than I find it more fun to watch. Based on that alone, I hope Carolina moves more and more towards that system. But I have always disagreed with the assertions that we shouldnt switch to a 3-4 because our personel better fits the 4-3. Well yes. We are a 4-3 team. Our personel will always better fit the 4-3 so long as we draft and hire for the 4-3. Does that mean a switch should be out of the question so long as football is in Carolina?

CK on the sig
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Cypher wrote:
I like the 3-4, but I really think the 4-3 is getting a bad name for really odd reasons in the modern NFL. While the 3-4 is definitely becoming more common, since 2000, the numbers aren't hugely in favor of one side.

Superbowl Teams Running a 4-3: 15
Superbowl Teams Running a 3-4: 11

Superbowl Winning Teams Running a 4-3: 6
Superbowl Winning Teams Running a 3-4: 7

And you could even argue these numbers are slightly skewed because of the Patriots dynasty. One really isn't superior to the other. It's entirely about personnel.
Superbowls involve offense though. Not a great measure of effectiveness. I think yards per play allowed and points per game are better measures.

I prefer a 3-4 for no other reason than I find it more fun to watch. Based on that alone, I hope Carolina moves more and more towards that system. But I have always disagreed with the assertions that we shouldnt switch to a 3-4 because our personel better fits the 4-3. Well yes. We are a 4-3 team. Our personel will always better fit the 4-3 so long as we draft and hire for the 4-3. Does that mean a switch should be out of the question so long as football is in Carolina?
My position has never been a "no 3-4 ever" thing. Mostly it's just a reaction to comments that started probably about 3-4 years ago along the lines of "OMG! WE SHOULD TOTALLY RUN THE 3-4 THIS YEAR BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME AND PEPPERS WOULD BE TEH GREETEST OLB EVAAARRR!!!"

If they want to switch over, cool. They already run a hybrid (many teams do). I just said (starting a few years ago) that it doesn't make sense that the team would want to switch over to a 3-4 at this (or that) point because they just spent high round draft picks on players who are clearly better suited for the 4-3.

Now, it's conceivable that Rivera is gradually moving the defense to a more consistent 3-4 look. And if he does that, I trust him. I just don't see the logic is making a scheme overhaul like people generally tend to advocate in these types of threads. Plus, it's been a bit longer since those high draft picks were made and we've got an entirely new coaching staff. However, if Rivera does make the switch, I will respect his decision to do so infinitely more than I did with people like Mangini who simply forced the scheme on personnel that clearly did fit in it.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: