Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign QB John Beck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Texans sign QB John Beck Reply with quote

Quote:
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL

Texans agree to deal with QB John Beck.

Kubiak stated he wanted to sign a veteran QB to go with Schaub, Yates and Keenum, and Beck knows the system having been coached by Mike Shannahan and Kyle Shannahan. He had a 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions last season with 858 yards.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense. I can't complain.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats the scrubs and senior citizens we rolled through here last year (Kellen Clements...). Word on him is that he's got all the talent in the world, but inspires little confidence in the huddle and less in the pocket (happy feet). Dude is a great athlete who is great in practice, but doesn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude to be an NFL QB once the gun fires. On the bright side, his arm strength (or lack thereof) will make Yates, Schaub, and Keenum look like they have cannons. Despite the sarcasm, Beck is a smart guy who knows the system and will be able to take up snaps in the pre-season instead of having to rush Schaub or over-expose Yates. Dude is a mormon Eagle Scout, so maybe he can take Posey and Dwight Jones under his wing and teach them a few things about character. I'm all for a season with Beck as our #3 and Keenum on the PS.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so maybe he can take Posey and Dwight Jones under his wing and teach them a few things about character.

Posey does not have character issues. He sold his rings so his mom wouldn't be evicted. He also practiced every day with his team even though he was suspended. 1 mistake he made doesn't mean he has character issues.
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked this guy coming out of college. I remember playing Madden '08 and using him to lead the Dolphins to consecutive Super Bowls. Very Happy

But seriously, as a third string option I'll take him over Keenum just to avoid the UH fans howling for him the moment Schaub has a two pick game.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longhorntexan wrote:
I really liked this guy coming out of college. I remember playing Madden '08 and using him to lead the Dolphins to consecutive Super Bowls. Very Happy

But seriously, as a third string option I'll take him over Keenum just to avoid the UH fans howling for him the moment Schaub has a two pick game.

I'm not a homer like most UH fans are. They were pissed at me because I told them he wasn't going to be a starting qb prospect. Only reason why I wanted him a Texans was because it would be a nice story and it seems just right. I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire, and I'm not going to call for Kubiak's head if he doesn't start him. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Quote:
so maybe he can take Posey and Dwight Jones under his wing and teach them a few things about character.

Posey does not have character issues. He sold his rings so his mom wouldn't be evicted. He also practiced every day with his team even though he was suspended. 1 mistake he made doesn't mean he has character issues.

By my count he made at least 3 mistakes. If you believe he was doing this for momma's rent, I guess you just justified every drug dealer and also believe strippers who are just working to get through college...

1) Along with teammates accepted $14k in cash & free tattoos from a man, Edward Rife, convicted of drug trafficking and money laundering in this case (the tattoo parlor was a front for his drug business including meth, coke, and he was caught with over 200 lbs of pot). If you think this is about tattoos you are not seeing the real picture. Posey and his teammates were party to a conspiracy laundering Ohio State Memorabilia (tickets, rings, uniforms, autographs, etc) ultimately in that was exchanged for drugs, cars, and homes. Oh yes, and fellow suspendee LT Mike Adams has already admitted his problems with pot. They found $50k of memorabilia, 36 items directly tied to the 5 suspended players at this guys house, so you connect the dots and figure out how they really got paid.

2) While already suspended in a scandal that cost his coach his job and his QB his college career, Posey still took another $700 from a booster for work he did not perform (in addition to his cut of the $14k from Rife). Again, all they could PROVE was the $700, but this was straight out of a Soprano's episode with this DiGeronimo guy doling out cash for washing his excavation companies trucks.

3) While suspended, accepted free golf games from none other than Dennis Talbott - the same guy that was handing out envelopes of cash to Terrelle Pryor to get him to go to Ohio State instead of Michigan. Posey made appearances at Talbott's kids birthday parties for goodness sakes. Oh yes, how does Talbott pay for his country club memberships - memorabilia sales including reported paying Pryor $40k for signed merch. Pryor goes pro and Posey becomes his new go to guy for merch. Talbott is also up on various charges.

Remember NCAA players get to hide behind student privacy laws, but suffice it to say that there was much more to this than some tattoos, cash, and some golf. Remember, Rife pled guilty to the drug and money laundering charges and got 3 years in federal prison, so nobody gets to see anything publicly in a trial, but you can bet basically ending Posey's college career was not because of some tattoos. The Texans are really kidding themselves this time folks (and so are you Marco).

BTW - DeVier's widowed momma has sent all 4 boys to private high schools and colleges on athletic scholarships. Not that it's their fault but their father died from a drug overdose and who knows how many other families got ruined by folks like Rife who's enterprise DeVier was supporting.

texansfan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the signing. Obviously he has some tread on the tires, but it doesn't hurt to have a guy who has spent some time in the league and may still have a bit of upside. I'm not expecting much, but if he could be a viable 3rd option at QB, then it's a good signing. At the very least he can keep the seat warm for a year or two until Case is ready to move into the third string role.
Texantype

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:

By my count he made at least 3 mistakes. If you believe he was doing this for momma's rent, I guess you just justified every drug dealer and also believe strippers who are just working to get through college...

1) Along with teammates accepted $14k in cash & free tattoos from a man, Edward Rife, convicted of drug trafficking and money laundering in this case (the tattoo parlor was a front for his drug business including meth, coke, and he was caught with over 200 lbs of pot). If you think this is about tattoos you are not seeing the real picture. Posey and his teammates were party to a conspiracy laundering Ohio State Memorabilia (tickets, rings, uniforms, autographs, etc) ultimately in that was exchanged for drugs, cars, and homes. Oh yes, and fellow suspendee LT Mike Adams has already admitted his problems with pot. They found $50k of memorabilia, 36 items directly tied to the 5 suspended players at this guys house, so you connect the dots and figure out how they really got paid.

2) While already suspended in a scandal that cost his coach his job and his QB his college career, Posey still took another $700 from a booster for work he did not perform (in addition to his cut of the $14k from Rife). Again, all they could PROVE was the $700, but this was straight out of a Soprano's episode with this DiGeronimo guy doling out cash for washing his excavation companies trucks.

3) While suspended, accepted free golf games from none other than Dennis Talbott - the same guy that was handing out envelopes of cash to Terrelle Pryor to get him to go to Ohio State instead of Michigan. Posey made appearances at Talbott's kids birthday parties for goodness sakes. Oh yes, how does Talbott pay for his country club memberships - memorabilia sales including reported paying Pryor $40k for signed merch. Pryor goes pro and Posey becomes his new go to guy for merch. Talbott is also up on various charges.

Remember NCAA players get to hide behind student privacy laws, but suffice it to say that there was much more to this than some tattoos, cash, and some golf. Remember, Rife pled guilty to the drug and money laundering charges and got 3 years in federal prison, so nobody gets to see anything publicly in a trial, but you can bet basically ending Posey's college career was not because of some tattoos. The Texans are really kidding themselves this time folks (and so are you Marco).

BTW - DeVier's widowed momma has sent all 4 boys to private high schools and colleges on athletic scholarships. Not that it's their fault but their father died from a drug overdose and who knows how many other families got ruined by folks like Rife who's enterprise DeVier was supporting.

if I need a private detective I'm calling you.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:

if I need a private detective I'm calling you.

Detective maybe, but don't count on much staying private as this shield of anonymity affords me much more freedom to speak freely in a forum like this than I can in the real world. DeVier may be a great kid who just got caught up with the wrong people (3 times), but it sickens me how quick the mainstream media in this town is to accept the Texans whitewashed version's of stories. Posey was a reach on football skills alone, but couple it with the character involved and it was an inexplicable risk with Randle, Dwayne Allen, Josh Robinson, Sanu and Givens still on the board. It just cracks me up how the Texans character standards have been very publicly abridged to allow for "one mistake" now that we are led by Cushing, draft Posey, and let Dwight Jones get a shot. It's a slippery slope to "the ends justifies the means" folks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: