You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Not Troy Smith??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitestalliono2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Why Not Troy Smith?? Reply with quote

I'm sure you Michigan fans do not want to hear this but he would be an excellent late frist early second round pick. I imagine he should drop because he is not a pure passer and he does not have elite size, but he's got moxy, a nose for the end zone and he produces in the fourth quarter. Thats something we have'nt had in detroit for a long time. Kitna could start and he could learn, just like Carson Palmer. Ask Kitna to step down when he's to old and have an excllent quarterback when our offense hits its prime. What do you guys think?

Mark my words Sims will be better than D. Brooks!
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions draft Smith in the 2nd/3rd round. It kills me to say this as a Michigan fan/student but Smith has done nothing but impress me all season long. I think too much is made of his height. He's shown that he can make all the throws, and has become a great decision maker this year. Sure he's not running around like was last year but that's because he's learned to hang in the pocket and wait for his receivers to get open rather than just taking off. If it came down to it, I'd rather have him than Quinn to be totally honest.
qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith wont be a second rounder, he will have a monster combine and be a first rounder.
LionsRoar17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Smith wont be a second rounder, he will have a monster combine and be a first rounder.

I agree, I really cant see him falling out of the first round.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Martz will be much more interested in Brady Quinn and Brian Brohm. Right now Brady Quinn doesn't have a very good offensive line but he still produces great. I feel that Troy Smith is undersized at 6-1 215 pounds. Both Brian and Brady are 6-4 about 230 the size of an ideal quarterback. Even though they may not be able to scramble as well as Troy Smith the can throw more precise and further in my mind. Personally I think Brian Brohm is the best fit for Detroit I just wonder if we would be able to trade down a few spots and still get him.
whitestalliono2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but do we really want to put another high first round pick into a qb? take out second and four and trade up into the late frist round to grab smith. I feel like out defense needs more help then the qb position. and since when has martz been ineterested in a high profile qb? he just needs one with good skills and a high intelect.

Mark my words Sims will be better than D. Brooks!
nb5005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitestalliono2 wrote:
yeah but do we really want to put another high first round pick into a qb? take out second and four and trade up into the late frist round to grab smith. I feel like out defense needs more help then the qb position. and since when has martz been ineterested in a high profile qb? he just needs one with good skills and a high intelect.

I feel that Troy Smith is the 4th best QB in the draft behind Quinn, Brohm, and Stanton. Here are the teams that I think may spend their 1st round pick on a QB besides the Lions are: Oakland, Houston, Buffalo, Tampa, and Dallas(?). This means that no more than 3 of the first 5 will draft QB's because of the other talent available. The Lions should be able to get Stanton or Smith in the second round especially if they are at the beginning. I would not take Smith or Stanton in the top 10 thought because they are a project rather than a player who can start.
qball8001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty good logic. Oakland and Detroit have a fear of first round QBs... so there is a good likelyhood that some of those guys will fall. But, we all love hype and Smith is going to get a lot of it.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rather see Millen throw away a pick on Troy Smith then waste another top 10 pick on a QB in this class. I'm not sold on Quinn and Brohm ever becoming a franchise QB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second round and I'm fine with it. First round I want defense or Calvin Johnson.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: