Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Was the bengal's draft not as good as we think
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Am I onto something, or am I an idiot?
Onto something, the draft won't be considered that good down the road
52%
 52%  [ 23 ]
Idiot, the Bengals got as many as 9 contributors
47%
 47%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 44

McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love there draft.

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the backlash starts....

Still think it's the best draft out there. Time will tell...
LTF

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a pro bowl player in their haul, but overall I like their group and think it will produce several quality pros. I wasn't a big fan of Thompson or Sanu pre-draft though.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the draft is as good as hyped. Kirkpatrick is better at safety than CB, I'm not a huge fan of Zeitler, and I don't get the Thompson pick. A lot of the late round guys are overrated as well.

I don't think people realize that the OG track record for Wisconsin is not very good. I never got why people thought just because Zeitler was from Wisconsin that he would immediately be viable in the NFL. That worked SO WELL for Kraig Urbik.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only players they took that I like are Kirkpatrick and Iloka. I think it's an okay draft, but I think there are teams who did much better overall.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
I still have no clue why they took two DT's... I liked there DT rotation already, and adding Stills gave them probably my favorite in the league. Thompson was... unneeded.

Thompson was definitely needed:

Quote:
In the ten games prior to his injury against the Cleveland Browns in which Sims played 279 defensive snaps, the Cincinnati Bengals rush defense allowed only 88.6 yards rushing per game and a 3.4 yard/rush average. Including the game in which he suffered his first ankle injury, the Bengals rush defense finished the season by allowing 131.5 yards rushing per game, not including Cincinnati's playoff lost to the Houston Texans. During that six-game stretch the Bengals rush defense allowed a 4.8 yard/rush average.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/24/2899384/cincinnati-bengals-agrees-to-terms-with-defensive-tackle-pat-sims

What happened later in the year is that Teams doubled Geno, and one area that Geno does need to improve on is when doubled he tends to get out of his gap to try and beat the double team to generate pressure on the QB. Peko couldn't beat one-on-one situations to stop the run. Our lackluster safeties whiffing on tackling RB's in the openfield didn't help either (Ray Rice killed us that way). Thompson hopefully can help with that.

Sims is great (at times), but he's on a 1 year deal and is very injury prone at this point (Broken ankle last season, broken forearm the season before that and a turf toe injury before that). With a player like Thompson still there late in the 3rd round, I think it was a great BPA selection. I would have preferred a pass rushing DE, but if they saw better value out of Thompson than the DE's left at that point then why fault them?

Peko has been playing below average for 2 seasons now. I could see Thompson as a replacement for Sims or Peko after this season...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and they already had one SS that needs to be moved to LB because of lack of coverage skills (Mays). They just got another in Iloka.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Oh yeah, and they already had one SS that needs to be moved to LB because of lack of coverage skills (Mays). They just got another in Iloka.

Actually Mays looked pretty good in coverage last season, granted in very limited snaps. No way Mays is moved to LB. He'll be the starting SS this season, with Reggie Nelson as the starting FS. If Hall can come back healthy, Clements might be moved there but atm it's Mays and Nelson.

Safety definitely still is a need but there just aren't that many good safeties out there. Not much could have been done there...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals are following draftcountdown.com

Laughing

While the seahawks war room is behind a truck stop in montana.

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
Rushmore

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
I still have no clue why they took two DT's... I liked there DT rotation already, and adding Stills gave them probably my favorite in the league. Thompson was... unneeded.

Thompson was definitely needed:

Quote:
In the ten games prior to his injury against the Cleveland Browns in which Sims played 279 defensive snaps, the Cincinnati Bengals rush defense allowed only 88.6 yards rushing per game and a 3.4 yard/rush average. Including the game in which he suffered his first ankle injury, the Bengals rush defense finished the season by allowing 131.5 yards rushing per game, not including Cincinnati's playoff lost to the Houston Texans. During that six-game stretch the Bengals rush defense allowed a 4.8 yard/rush average.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/24/2899384/cincinnati-bengals-agrees-to-terms-with-defensive-tackle-pat-sims

What happened later in the year is that Teams doubled Geno, and one area that Geno does need to improve on is when doubled he tends to get out of his gap to try and beat the double team to generate pressure on the QB. Peko couldn't beat one-on-one situations to stop the run. Our lackluster safeties whiffing on tackling RB's in the openfield didn't help either (Ray Rice killed us that way). Thompson hopefully can help with that.

Sims is great (at times), but he's on a 1 year deal and is very injury prone at this point (Broken ankle last season, broken forearm the season before that and a turf toe injury before that). With a player like Thompson still there late in the 3rd round, I think it was a great BPA selection. I would have preferred a pass rushing DE, but if they saw better value out of Thompson than the DE's left at that point then why fault them?

Peko has been playing below average for 2 seasons now. I could see Thompson as a replacement for Sims or Peko after this season...

Good post. I will never get upset of taking a BPA on the board, especially if it's a DL, a position the Bengals notoriously seemed to try and skimp on over a "skill" position in it's recent past. Thompson could even be looked at as a "hedging of their bet" on the position after Still. I believe a strong DL rotation is imperative, and if you look at the Bengal's Defense last season, they clearly got worse once the rotation was compromised when Sims went down with injury. I am happy they are finally not overlooking the necessity of having a deep rotating of fresh D-linemen. As for the WR position, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marvin Jones find himself a prominent role. I like Sanu's intangibles, but think he may need to learn the position a little more and see him as a potential project. Iloka is an interesting player that I was happy to see his coverage ability in games on tape, but not sure he can translate it at the NFL level. I don't feel comfortable with Mays with what I saw of him. He showed some moments but also seemed "as advertised" on many others. I wouldn't mind seeing them experiment with Clements at Safety a bit. I'm interested to see opinions on the UDFA pick-up of Burfict. I personally am intrigued by the gamble. Yes it's a long-shot, but I like the idea of letting Zimmer trying to get something out of him. ILB is one of the positions of biggest need imo for this team. Regardless, I am excited by the draft the Bengals had and at this point (for what thats worth) consider it to be one of the more intriguing of the whole league.

Last edited by Rushmore on Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Bengals have drafted better than any other team since 2010. The credit for that goes to the coaching staff. Convincing Mike Brown to take the right players that fit the system has been key. If Mike Brown ran the team like he used to, players like Ryan Mallett and Janoris Jenkins would be on the team now...

Jenkins > Kirkpatrick.. I dont like Kirkpatrick at all, wreaks of bust. Still the Bengals had a solid draft.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
these type of drafts never turn out to be the best
Chiefs 2008 draft did.

The only guy whos been a real disappointment is Dorsey and you can make an argument that its more to do with the scheme change in 2009 to a Two-gap 34.
skrILL

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

Competition brings the best out in everyone.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Competition brings the best out in everyone.
And the only way to breed competition is by adding a 2nd and 3rd round DT to an already good DT rotation? Right.....

No worries, I'll trade the bengals Jason Jones and one of our late round DT's for Geno Atkins. You guys can have even more competition then.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Abe56

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
these type of drafts never turn out to be the best
Chiefs 2008 draft did.

The only guy whos been a real disappointment is Dorsey and you can make an argument that its more to do with the scheme change in 2009 to a Two-gap 34.

Was a good draft, but not the best of 08. In the first 4 rounds, Chiefs drafted 4 busts, Dorsey, Cottam, Morgan and Franklin and the late rounds are nothing to write home about besides Carr. And the difference between the Chiefs and Bengals draft is the Bengals are being praised because they got guys later who were projected earlier, all of the Chiefs guys who worked out, Albert, Flowers, and Charles all went pretty much went where they were projected too.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: