Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Draft Thread - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
What a waste

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers fifth-round pick G Johnnie Troutman (pectoral surgery) is out, at least, five months and could miss the entire 2012 season.
Troutman is also dealing with a knee injury suffered during the Senior Bowl. Chargers GM A.J. Smith says the team was aware of the injuries when they selected the Penn State product on Saturday. If he doesn't land on injured reserve, the 6'4/329 Troutman will certainly start 2012 on the PUP list. He won't be a factor until 2013 at the earliest.

Its pretty clear they really like him if they took him with that injury. I don't understand all the hate. He's a fifth round pick and played some damn good teams and more than held his own.

Having that many injuries, I doubt anybody else was jumping at the chance to draft the guy that high, if at all. He may not be a waste, but the 5th round pick was.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
WOW you're REALLY overrating how bad he is. You really just have something against the guy...

I honestly wish that were the case, but it's not. If you actually watch OL play, you'll see how bad he is. There are a lot of players in the league that I don't, he's really not one of them. What I don't like is his play.

Thats all i do is watch the OL. In those last 5 games he was a solid, average RT. Getting movement in the run game every once in a while and not getting beat consistently. In fact, i dont remember him getting beat at all, though i'm sure he did a couple times. If you dont think he played well those last 5 games, you either didn't watch the game, and are just blindly hating on him...

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
WOW you're REALLY overrating how bad he is. You really just have something against the guy...

I honestly wish that were the case, but it's not. If you actually watch OL play, you'll see how bad he is. There are a lot of players in the league that I don't, he's really not one of them. What I don't like is his play.

Thats all i do is watch the OL. In those last 5 games he was a solid, average RT. Getting movement in the run game every once in a while and not getting beat consistently. In fact, i dont remember him getting beat at all, though i'm sure he did a couple times. If you dont think he played well those last 5 games, you either didn't watch the game, and are just blindly hating on him...

If my hate is blind, then I'm Daredevil.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from New York after attending the draft. My thoughts on the picks:

1 (18] Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina

I literally had my head buried in my hat the entire 10 minutes of our pick, hoping that AJ wasn't thinking about either trading out of 18 or taking someone like Jones or McClellin with Ingram on the board. I still feel that his initial plan was to take Chandler Jones but the value of Ingram falling to 18 was too much for even AJ to pass up. I really like the fit on this team. He provides something different in our OLB rotation that our other three pass rushers don't really have. My expectations for him in his first year are not really too high since it will take him time to get adjusted to standing up and rushing from the outside. But overall, I really like the pick and I think it was the right choice.

2 (49) Kendall Reyes, DE, Connecticut

This pick was one that I expected all the way when Reyes was still available at 49. Besides Fletcher Cox, I had Reyes as my highest rated 5-tech in this draft. His burst off the line and assortment of pass rush moves will be a solid addition to our defensive line rotation. With guys like Reyes, Liuget, Martin and Thomas, we have the foundation to have a very successful defensive line for years to come.

3 (73) Brandon Taylor, S, Louisiana State

I firmly believe that Taylor will become the starter out of camp. He's going to have his slip ups in coverage in dealing with TEs and bigger receivers in the slot, but with the way he tackles and closes in on the ball while its in the air, I think he will pair nicely with Weddle on the back end. With having two 7ths, losing a 6th isnt really the end of the world.

4 (110) Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette

More upside than any of the other TEs available like Charles or Hanna which makes me really like this pick. He's not going to be asked to much of anything this first year so he can watch and carefully learn behind a HOF TE like Gates. Definitely the biggest boom/bust pick of the draft this year but the positive outcome can be great for this team in the future.

5 (149) Johnnie Troutman, OG, Pennsylvania State

The fact that AJ knew about his injury concerns and knew that he would be missing his entire first season does annoy me. But I like the idea that while he does recover, he will be involved with watching how the line operates and can have a good mental idea before stepping onto the field his second year.

7 (226) David Molk, C, Michigan

4 year starter on the Michigan o-line. Rimington Award winner as the nations top Centre. If anything, he will provide good depth behind Hardwick and if asked to come in and play, I expect nothing more or less than a tremendous effort. He will work hard every day to get better and even if he never starts a game in his career, it wont make a difference with how hard he will work in practice.

7 (250) Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State

Baker will be a nice addition to the RB rotation. Runs hard, lowers the pads and finishes runs every play. He could turn out to be a nice change of pace to Mathews, or be cut like every other late round RB the last few years.

Overall I felt we had a solid draft. I expect Ingram, Reyes and Taylor to come in and contribute right away.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was trying hard to find a way to defend the Troutman pick, but with guys like Chris Rainey, Alfonzo Dennard, Tommy Streeter, Cyrus Gray, Brandon Washington, Marvin Jones, Jonathon Massaqoui and others still on the board, I'm kind of perplexed. I guess if AJ feels that strongly about him to be a starter next year I can live with it since I think all of our guards are free agents next year.
Stone85

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like everyone here has the same opinion about our draft, for the most part. Probably a good thing.
From what I've seen, the general thoughts on here:
-Ingram was the right pick, not a huge impact this year, but good potential
-Reyes was a great pick
-Taylor will start at SS so this wasn't a bad pick
-Green is boom or bust but this was a good pick
-Troutman pick was weird because of the talent available, and his injury concerns. But it does fill a need.
-Molk is a good pick
-Baker was good value and filled a need.

I agree with all of this, but I really don't like the Troutman pick. I don't think it was a smart pick at all because not only does he have severe injury concerns, but there were a ton of better players available, and even better value at the guard position. Washington would have been a much better pick, or we could have targeted Dennard, Streeter, Marvin Jones, Massaquoi, Massie, Kelemete (who I thought we were going to take), Rainey, Ryan Miller (a guard) Terrell Manning, Criner, Gray, etc. All would have been better value, but it is a 5th round pick. It's not the end of the world.

The rest of the draft was great and I'm excited to watch the rookies next year.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
The-Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
42 pressures. Gaither was left on an island a heck of a lot the last 3 games and we have everyone behind the line of scrimmage compensating for Clary's asstasticness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: