Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Draft Thread - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexansFan80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope B. Taylor tears it up for y'all! He's a great leader.

^LORK 88^
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
I just realized that all 3 of the AFC West rivals drafted a SDSU player.

It will be interesting to see the UDFAs RBs and Baker do this preseason. There is a legit chance one of them makes the roster and even see some snaps this year.

We're doomed. Even though watching some of the ways Ingram has been used in the past is screaming Adalius Thomas to me. Boy would that change our defense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard the radio interview with AJ Smith:

-Defense was always going to be the pick at 18, no offensive players in cluster. I believe he said the same for round 2.

-Tried to trade up in round 3 starting with the Colts to get Taylor, no one wanted to trade until the Dolphins. Taylor was their 3rd rated safety after Barron and Smith.

-Never really considered trading up for Barron, liked the top of linebacker class and knew a good one would be at 18

-Still hopeful Larry English can be a pass rusher capable of contributing

-Depth was a focus of this offseason

-Feels good about the offensive line, signing Hardwick and Gaither was top priority at start of offseason

-Molk was at bowling alley with friends when AJ called, AJ says his personality reminds him of Dielman

-Calling newest Chargers is AJ's favorite part of the draft
sanitizer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at this draft class and clump Jonas Mouton in as a bonus pick, he didn't play last year. But to me he seemed like he was a healthy scratch and played on the IR. What or where do we play him? He ran a 4.89 if I'm not mistaken at the combine last year and is supposed to push Spikes for playing time along side Butler.

I have never really looked into Mouton because I just thought he was a special-teamer at best. Do you guys really think he can play? And play effectively?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
I keep looking at this draft class and clump Jonas Mouton in as a bonus pick, he didn't play last year. But to me he seemed like he was a healthy scratch and played on the IR. What or where do we play him? He ran a 4.89 if I'm not mistaken at the combine last year and is supposed to push Spikes for playing time along side Butler.

I have never really looked into Mouton because I just thought he was a special-teamer at best. Do you guys really think he can play? And play effectively?

Yes. He showed all the right fundamentals in the preseason. He's Spikes replacement at SILB. I think he can do very well. It was basically a redshirt year since we had Spikes here.
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mouton surprised a lot of people and was really lightning it up in the pre-season before the injury...

Hopefuly he'll have a similar impact to Buttler.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
sanitizer wrote:

Yes. He showed all the right fundamentals in the preseason. He's Spikes replacement at SILB. I think he can do very well. It was basically a redshirt year since we had Spikes here.

Agreed. He's one of those guys who isn't going to dominate you with athletic ability, but he's a real physical player, with Safety hips, though i dont think he has the pure speed to match up in coverage one on one with TE's.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:

-Defense was always going to be the pick at 18, no offensive players in cluster. I believe he said the same for round 2.

-Tried to trade up in round 3 starting with the Colts to get Taylor, no one wanted to trade until the Dolphins. Taylor was their 3rd rated safety after Barron and Smith.

-Never really considered trading up for Barron, liked the top of linebacker class and knew a good one would be at 18

-Feels good about the offensive line, signing Hardwick and Gaither was top priority at start of offseason

-Molk was at bowling alley with friends when AJ called, AJ says his personality reminds him of Dielman

Agree with AJ on everything except the o-line. How can he be so blind to the disaster that is Jeromey Clary? And his backup Mario Henderson doesn't inspire much confidence either. I have no problems with him not addressing offensive line in the first four rounds, but the fact that he doesn't think it's an area of need is a little concerning.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a waste

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers fifth-round pick G Johnnie Troutman (pectoral surgery) is out, at least, five months and could miss the entire 2012 season.
Troutman is also dealing with a knee injury suffered during the Senior Bowl. Chargers GM A.J. Smith says the team was aware of the injuries when they selected the Penn State product on Saturday. If he doesn't land on injured reserve, the 6'4/329 Troutman will certainly start 2012 on the PUP list. He won't be a factor until 2013 at the earliest.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
What a waste

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers fifth-round pick G Johnnie Troutman (pectoral surgery) is out, at least, five months and could miss the entire 2012 season.
Troutman is also dealing with a knee injury suffered during the Senior Bowl. Chargers GM A.J. Smith says the team was aware of the injuries when they selected the Penn State product on Saturday. If he doesn't land on injured reserve, the 6'4/329 Troutman will certainly start 2012 on the PUP list. He won't be a factor until 2013 at the earliest.

Explains the Rex Hadnot signing.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

Agree with AJ on everything except the o-line. How can he be so blind to the disaster that is Jeromey Clary? And his backup Mario Henderson doesn't inspire much confidence either. I have no problems with him not addressing offensive line in the first four rounds, but the fact that he doesn't think it's an area of need is a little concerning.

Clary isn't good, but McNeil was pouring oil on the fire because we were forced to give the TE help to Rivers' Blind side, which essentially left Clary out on an island, and that was just a joke from there. Now you see in the last 5 games, Clary was really starting to look like a average to solid RT when we were able to chip with the TE so he wouldn't get beat of the edge, he wasn't trying to overextend to get the edge and stayed within himself and used his natural power (which he actually does have a solid amount of) in the run game. That will also keep him from false starts and holding since he wont need to try and cheat to gain the edge, and he wont need to hold the guy as he's going around the edge.

So its not as bad as it may seem. He's not a top player, but he's not going to kill our offense anymore with Gaither starting at the LT spot now!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
charger-man wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

Clary isn't good, but McNeil was pouring oil on the fire because we were forced to give the TE help to Rivers' Blind side, which essentially left Clary out on an island, and that was just a joke from there. Now you see in the last 5 games, Clary was really starting to look like a average to solid RT when we were able to chip with the TE so he wouldn't get beat of the edge, he wasn't trying to overextend to get the edge and stayed within himself and used his natural power (which he actually does have a solid amount of) in the run game. That will also keep him from false starts and holding since he wont need to try and cheat to gain the edge, and he wont need to hold the guy as he's going around the edge.

So its not as bad as it may seem. He's not a top player, but he's not going to kill our offense anymore with Gaither starting at the LT spot now!

The power you speak of really isn't there. It may look like it when he can throw his weight on a smaller guy sometimes, but he gets pushed around a lot. I've actually seen him get knocked with his feet in the air on GL plays more than a few times. Add that to how slow he is getting out of his stance, and you have nothing but trouble.

There were plenty of occasions where a guy would out muscle Clary, and Sporles would stand them up. Not chip, stand them up. A 185lb RB should never look stronger than a 320lb RT. Never. Your RT should be trusted to block without help. There shouldn't have to be a TE, or a RB to his side every play. He limits the offense. You can't run a sweep/stretch/screen to that side, because he falls down when he has to block in space. You can't run off-guard to the right, because he gets blown up. Any other team, and he's camp fodder.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
What a waste

Rotoworld wrote:

Its pretty clear they really like him if they took him with that injury. I don't understand all the hate. He's a fifth round pick and played some damn good teams and more than held his own.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
charger-man wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

The power you speak of really isn't there. It may look like it when he can throw his weight on a smaller guy sometimes, but he gets pushed around a lot. I've actually seen him get knocked with his feet in the air on GL plays more than a few times. Add that to how slow he is getting out of his stance, and you have nothing but trouble.

There were plenty of occasions where a guy would out muscle Clary, and Sporles would stand them up. Not chip, stand them up. A 185lb RB should never look stronger than a 320lb RT. Never. Your RT should be trusted to block without help. There shouldn't have to be a TE, or a RB to his side every play. He limits the offense. You can't run a sweep/stretch/screen to that side, because he falls down when he has to block in space. You can't run off-guard to the right, because he gets blown up. Any other team, and he's camp fodder.

WOW you're REALLY overrating how bad he is. You really just have something against the guy...

MrDrew wrote:
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
WOW you're REALLY overrating how bad he is. You really just have something against the guy...

I honestly wish that were the case, but it's not. If you actually watch OL play, you'll see how bad he is. There are a lot of players in the league that I don't, he's really not one of them. What I don't like is his play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: