Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

REDandPEWTER's 2012 Draft Grades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: REDandPEWTER's 2012 Draft Grades Reply with quote

Bucs Draft Grades:

1st Round: Mark Barron Safety Alabama (via Trade Jacksonville):

Quote:
- Dom and Schiano expressed the concern about the Safety position a few weeks back, while most of us were locked in on Claiborne or Richardson, even Keuchly. Barron was there guy all along and honestly, as I go back and watch the tape, he’s a well rounded player at the safety position. Sound tackler, physical player, good in the box, blitzes, and can turn, run and cover and has fluid hips.

Grade: A

1st Round: (Via Trade with Denver): Doug Martin RB Boise State:
Quote:
- I love this pick and Dominik’s aggressive approach to move up and get this guy. He fits Schiano’s “Cowbell” type RB as a 3 down back who’s physical, great vision, and can hit the home-run. Good blocker and receiver. Ray Rice 2.0? Schiano thinks so.

Grade: A+

2nd Round: (Via Trade with Houston): Lavonte David OLB Nebraska:
Quote:
Again, Dominik gets aggressive for a guy that has slipped further than most anticipated. David is a beast and he is just a pure football player. He shoots through gaps and for his size when he played at 225 last year, he was able to get off blocks, side-line to side-line speed and good in coverage. I saw someone say they didn’t want to make the comparison to a former Buc WILL (NOT GENO HAYES), but he’s got the speed and similarities of him.

Grade: A+

5th Round: Najee Goode MLB West Virginia:

Quote:
-Not too familiar with him , but coming from the Big East, I know Schiano is. Seems like a good run defender that can play MLB or SLB. Not sure what we’re going to do with Foster, play him at the MIKE or SAM now. Goode brings leadership, physicality, strength to our defense and will bring competition in June/July.

Grade: C+

6th Round: Keith Tandy CB/Safety West Virginia-

Quote:
I like this pick. He’s a very good cover corner, but is best in cover 2 type defense. Something tells me we might be going back to a more traditional Tampa 2 with this selection and David’s. Tandy has played some Safety as well and could also be an option to switch to FS. Good pick.

Grade: B

7th Round: Michael Smith RB Utah State

Quote:
- Entering the 2011 season, we had Blount, Lumpkin, Graham, and Madu. After the season, we had Blount and Madu. Obviously, our Running Back position wasn’t very good. We add a cowbell back in Martin and now a change of pace RB who can stretch the field in Smith. Great job Schiano.

Grade: B+

7th Round: FB Drake Dunsmore NorthWestern:-

Quote:
Not a bad pick. Very good full back, but I think there was a better option in Leonard Johnson on the board. Not a terrible pick, but not a fan of it. Maybe I’m just nitpicking but Leonard Johnson on the board, I think he’s going to be a steal.

Grade: C

Overall Grade: A. I like what we did. We solidified our LB core with a starter and a run defender MLB who can add depth and competition, and play SLB.

Barron gives us a day one starter at the SS position and be a beast from day 1. We solidified our RB depth and even got a starter. Blount in the Brandon Jacobs role is his best fit.

Overall, we got 3 immediate starters in Barron, Martin, David. Goode and Tandy will provide competition and immediate impact on special teams and certain packages. Dunsmore could be a nice addition and take Lorigs roster spot as well.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 S Mark Barron A+
-At first I hated the pick. Now I realize the pick and the VERY underrated trade were the right moves. Awesome job, Dom!!

#31 RB Doug Martin A
-We leapfrogged the Gmen to grab our guy using that forth we gained from the Barron trade. Dom played it perfectly. Martin is an every down back that can block and catch the ball. Great pick.

#58 OLB Lavonte David A+
-There were mocks with him going in the second. He's the LB we all wanted. A little manipulation from Dom and we moved up and got our guy. Brilliant!

#140 ILB Najee Goode C
-He's a two down run stuffer. We needed the depth. Our rush defense has been nonexistant for a few years now so the pick makes sense.

#174 CB Keith Tandy B
-I'm surprised we waited so long to get a CB. Tandy was our guy and he fills a position of need. I like the pick.

#212 RB Michael Smith B+
-I love it! Speed speed speed. We needed it. We also needed depth at RB. Great pick.

#233 TE/FB Drake Dunsmore C
-He's a legitimate FB. We needed one. I like the pick.

Overall A
-We filled needs with GREAT players. I don't feel we reached for anyone. We didn't draft any boom or bust guys. Dom's ability to manipulate picks is pure genius. We drafted four guys that can start right away. This is better than a draft that would've had Richardson or Claiborne. Very Happy
sandman2300

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would've liked to take a shot on Dennard in the 7th instead of maybe picking a fullback- thought he had some good skills in college and is certainly a good person to check out- patriots made a good pick I think
manilathrilla1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Off-Season was the best that I can remember. I remember getting Simeon Rice and Brad Johnson in the same Off-Season, but this one takes that one for sure.

Getting the best Guard in the league and a top flight WR for half of what Calvin Johnson signed for is amazing. And the draft Barron, Martin, and David. WOW
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manilathrilla1 wrote:
This Off-Season was the best that I can remember. I remember getting Simeon Rice and Brad Johnson in the same Off-Season, but this one takes that one for sure.

Getting the best Guard in the league and a top flight WR for half of what Calvin Johnson signed for is amazing. And the draft Barron, Martin, and David. WOW

Agreed. We had the best offseason of any team this year. I'd say this is one of, if not, the best offseasons in franchise history. Pure awesomeness. Dom came to play this year.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got Johnson its all good
youngbuc20

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the first three moves. I also love the fact Dominik was aggressive getting his guys. Barron, Martin, and David were all solid picks and are gonna be major contributors.

I actually really like the Najee Goode pick. He reminds me somewhat of a Curtis Lofton. He is a two down thumpper who excels in run support but is a liabilty in coverage. However I think he would have been there in the 6th and I really would have loved to get Josh Norman. I hate that he is a Panther. However not complaining cause like I said I like Goode and think he is a gem.

The Tandy pick makes me curious. We waited all the way to the 6th to draft a corner. I wonder what Shiano and staff see in Biggers, Lewis, and Gaitor? I don't know alot about Tandy except that he is best in zone.

Don't know much about Dunsmore. Actually I know nothing about him. Anyone care to offer some insight?

This has deffinetly been one hell of a Buccaneer Off-season

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngbuc20 wrote:
I love the first three moves. I also love the fact Dominik was aggressive getting his guys. Barron, Martin, and David were all solid picks and are gonna be major contributors.

I actually really like the Najee Goode pick. He reminds me somewhat of a Curtis Lofton. He is a two down thumpper who excels in run support but is a liabilty in coverage. However I think he would have been there in the 6th and I really would have loved to get Josh Norman. I hate that he is a Panther. However not complaining cause like I said I like Goode and think he is a gem.

The Tandy pick makes me curious. We waited all the way to the 6th to draft a corner. I wonder what Shiano and staff see in Biggers, Lewis, and Gaitor? I don't know alot about Tandy except that he is best in zone.

Don't know much about Dunsmore. Actually I know nothing about him. Anyone care to offer some insight?

This has deffinetly been one hell of a Buccaneer Off-season

He might play a role similar of Chris Cooley did with Washington. Pass Catching TE. He played a FB/-H-Back type role and he's got wheels and is more of a pass-catching threat.
mfw096

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish we got Chris Rainey for some speed, but either way we had a solid draft and I can't complain at all now.
RB4TampaBay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, what an outstanding off season. First the FA's that we signed, then the way that the Bucs performed during this draft. Some of these picks were certainly not the ones that I would have gone after, but now that it is done I am completely in agreement with who they have picked up. The first three we all know and I know that they are all starters in game one. The other four I knew nothing about, but as I research them I am finding out why they were chosen. Next, the ever increasing list of UDFA's, I'm sure that we will be learning more about them soon.

I could not be more thrilled with what we have done thus far, and where I think that we are going. Just an outstanding job by Mark and the coach's, it is going to be a most exciting spring and summer as we see things starting to improve. Smile I would most certainly give them all an A for their efforts thus far.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfw096 wrote:
I really wish we got Chris Rainey for some speed, but either way we had a solid draft and I can't complain at all now.

Michael Smith has speed and actually has some size with it.

He really could be a diamond in the rough, I know he didn't start over Turbin but look at how much better Richardson was than Ingram.
dbtb135

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Mark Barron: B-.

I think there's been some changes of heart a little faster than usual on the Barron pick. Mainly because people loved what we did in the two picks after that, and combined, it looks like a great first 3 picks. But I don't think Barron is worth a top 7 pick. I just don't see him as a special safety. He's good, but comparatively to safeties that have gone that high in the past, I just don't think he stacks up. Which isn't to say he's a bust, I think he'll be very solid for us. But in terms of value, I don't think he's great. And this being a forum that is always thumping on BPA, BPA, I do think it's odd how many have justified it with the talk of how big a need safety was without Tanard. Or even with Tanard, it was. And yes, he was the best safety in the class (not saying a whole lot). But as a stand-alone player, I don't think he's a top 10 pick. More of a borderline top 15. And to give up the pick that gets Jacksonville one of the truly elite players and get only a 4th hurts more. And then seeing the Cowboys have to pay a high 2nd for Claiborne.....well, let's just say I'd rather forget this early part of the draft.

1. Doug Martin: B+.

I've come around on Martin, but I still don't know about the value of it again. Martin had become the consensus #2 back in the class. But I do feel it was a weaker RB class past Richardson. Martin is a good all-around back, but I think the Rice comparisons are unwarranted. Rice was a MONSTER in college. I like Martin's chances of unseating Blount as the starter, and I think he'll be reasonably productive. There seemed to be a talent drop-off before both our picks in round 1. The last 5-6 picks in round 1 would likely resemble the mid-2nd in a better draft, but before that you had a lot of value in guys like DeCastro, Reiff, Mercilus, and Hightower. Again, the need was glaring. And again, the talent, while very solid all-around, seems to be a little light on the high upside.

2. Lavonte David: A+.

I'll admit, I wasn't HUGE on David like some as a target at the top of round 2. But even I was surprised to see him drop this low, and the value was extraordinary. Unlike our first two picks, there seemed to be value beyond the pick slot at the end of round 2 as I think a lot of teams made out. The Packers with Worthy, the Lions with Broyles, the OL picks of Konz/Adams/Osmele, and of course the unbelievable pick of Randle to the Giants. There was more talent than usual available at the end of round 2, and I'm glad that Dom was smart enough to assess this and make the move. I think we all agree that David will win the WSLB job going away in camp and solidify that weakness for years to come.....

5. Najee Goode: B-.

I'm not big on him, but I don't think he'll disappoint as the back-up at Mike. I think Carder or Kaddu might be better long-term, but it's not an awful pick. To be fair, the talent level at this point left a lot to be desired.

6. Keith Tandy: A-.

I always like CB depth later on, and Tandy has some talent. I really wish we weren't so high on defenders from WVU though, because I only saw them twice last year. Hardly enough to get a good grasp on their talent level. Either way, I came away remembering Tandy and not all that high on Goode.

7. Michael Smith: I.

As in I have no idea, because I have never seen him play. But 1,300 yards in 3 years at a small school seems a little light. I wouldn't expect much just based off that, but who knows? Do we have any Utah St fans in our fanbase who really know anything about the kid? Laughing
He Hate Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Who would have been a better pick at 7?

Props to Eggy
dbtb135

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He Hate Me wrote:
^

I'm saying 7 is a bad spot for us, regardless....
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:
He Hate Me wrote:
^

I'm saying 7 is a bad spot for us, regardless....

The way we used that forth round pick was absolute beauty. I don't know if Barron would've been there at 10. His value was higher than the fans thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: