Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you rate Seattle's 2012 Draft Class?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you grade the Seahawks 2012 Draft?
A
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
B
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
C
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
D
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
F
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: How would you rate Seattle's 2012 Draft Class? Reply with quote

How would YOU rate Seattle Draft class this year? Please vote and comment below!

Bruce Irvin, OLB/LEO
Value = B-
Need = A
Overall Pick Grade = B+

Analysis:
For me, I liked this pick. While most drafters like to go for BVA, I like to go out and get that one player I extremely like, like it appears Carroll and Schneider did, especially with this pick. Irvin fits this scheme PERFECTLY and I expect him to have around 12+ sacks in his rookie season. His potential is limitless. I really think that looking back, Irvin will be an extremely solid pick, and I think he will be a strong candidate for DROY.

Bobby Wagner, LB
Value = A-
Need = A
Overall Pick Grade = A

Analysis:
This was probably my favorite pick for us in this year's draft. Wagner is the ideal replacement for Hawthorne, excluding Kuechly. He actually brings more to the table than Kuechly would have, being an extremely effective pass-rusher as well as strong in run-support and good in coverage. While I might see him at SLB, I think Wright will stay there and we will put Wagner at MLB. Wagner has low bust potential and a high ceiling, and I am looking forward to seeing him play.

Russell Wilson, QB
Value = B-
Need = B-
Overall Pick Grade = B-

Analysis:
The more tape I watch on Wilson, the more I am impressed. His height really doesn't hinder him, his has a good arm, and is incredibly accurate. Do I think he can succeed in the NFL? Absolutely. However, unlike most, I am not a huge fan of this pick not because of Russell Wilson's height, but because I dont think he has a place on this team. T-Jack is a good backup QB by NFL standards, and we have invested in Flynn. Dont get me wrong, I think Wilson will have a great NFL career, but with the scenario we have at QB, I am just not sure it will be in Seattle. We will have to wait and see what happens with our QB situation.

Robert Turbin, RB
Value = B+
Need = A-
Overall pick grade = A-

Analysis:
This was another one of my favorite picks that we made in this draft. Turbin reminds me a lot of Michael Turner. A short, stocky dude built low to the ground, but still pretty nimble. Even though he does not have a real 2nd gear, I think he will do more than enough as Marshawn Lynch's backup. He is not that super-shifty RB that I was looking for, but he is faster, quicker, and shiftier than Marshawn Lynch, while still being a tough runner. I think he is a great addition to our offense and should help out our team next season, quite a bit actually.

Jaye Howard, DT
Value = D+
Need = C+
Overall pick grade = C-

Analysis:
This was probably my least favorite pick in our draft. Despite lacking a backup LT and playmaker WR, we take Jaye Howard. A pass-rushing DT who doesn't offer very much. I could have lived if we went with a pass-rushing DT (I was thinking Mike Daniels, who was available, he is gonna be a stud), but not someone who may not have even been drafted had we not selected him. We will have to wait until training camp to see whether or not we just waisted a fourth round pick.

Korey Toomer, LB
Value = C
Need = C+
Overall Pick grade = C+

Analysis:
Another pick I am not a huge fan of. Despite already taking two potential LBs, Carroll felt it necessary to take a third. Looking at scouting reports (I knew nothing about this kid prior), he is a freak of nature, standing at 6' 2" and 230 pounds, and runs a 4.48 40. He also has very long arms, which is good. Seattle attended his pro day and has brought him in for private workouts, so hopefully they know what they are getting into. Scouting reports say his negatives are bad angles and poor instincts.

Jeremy Lane, CB
Value = B
Need = B-
Overall Pick Grade = B

Analysis:
I am not sure what to think of this pick. Lane fits our CB size requirements, standing at 6', and 190 pounds, and scouting reports say that his is very fluid and athletic. But the question with him is, how good of a football player is he? I doubt there is any

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: How would you rate Seattle's 2012 Draft Class? Reply with quote

Bruce Irvin, OLB/LEO
Value = B-
Need = A
Overall Pick Grade = B+

Bobby Wagner, LB
Value = A-
Need = A
Overall Pick Grade = A

Russell Wilson, QB
Value = C
Need = B
Overall Pick Grade = C+

Robert Turbin, RB
Value = B+
Need = B+
Overall pick grade = B+

Jaye Howard, DT
Value = D+
Need = C-
Overall pick grade = D+

Korey Toomer, LB
Value = D+
Need = C+
Overall Pick grade = C

Jeremy Lane, CB
Value = B-
Need = B+
Overall Pick Grade = B

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I forgot to do some of our other late round picks, but I am tired, so I will do that in the morning.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
Meeker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irvin - B
Wagner - A
Wilson - A
Turbin - A
Howard - D
Toomer - C
Lane - B
Guy - B
Sweezy - F
Scruggs - D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imani wrote:
Irvin - B-
Wagner - A+
Wilson - B-
Turbin - A+
Howard - C+
Toomer - C-
Lane - C
Guy - B-
Sweezy - C
Scruggs - D+

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me, or does it look like our FO/Draft Gurus have a better eye on Defense than Offense - and are drafting accordingly?

(Though I have to say, I like Turbin and Wilson as being among the best picks in our draft this year)

Draft: 7 defensive players, 3 offensive (8 and 2 if you don't count the D-Lineman who's theoretically being moved to OG)
UDFA: 2 defensive players, 6 offensive and 1 special teams

Looks like when fishing in crowded waters, they go D... what they know... then for the pool of UD guys, just widen the net on the other side of the ball and see if you manage to reel in a gem a la Baldwin.

Anyone have similar stats handy for the past two JS/PC drafts? May just be a one-year anomaly rather than a pattern, but I'd be curious to see if there is a consistency to it.

TommyC376 on the Sig
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we lack in evaluating receivers, though I guess we hit on Baldwin. Maybe I should rephrase, we like freak athletes at receiver, and I'm afraid we may compromise in another areas. Baldwin we just went out and got a guy who was solid, but we didn't have to use a pick on him.

ram29jackson wrote:
bigjbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pick that really upset me was the Toomer pick. There was several better LB's availible (Terrell Manning). I think Pete puts a little too much into the height/weight/speed thing, and needs to put a bit more emphasis on competition and production.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our draft is very similar to the Packers in the sense it was defense orientated and neither team picked a WR i realize that GB is stacked with weapons but they almost always take a WR at some point.

I give it a B i like the Irvin pick i think he will thrive at the Leo with the crowd noise i like that we got a change of pace back in Turbin which seemed like good value since he was valued as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I like the Russell pick as well high completion rate in College arm that can make all the throws we will see if the height thing becomes a problem didn't seem to effect him much at Wisconsin who has a huge line.

Last edited by Sacks98 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
imani

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjbos wrote:
The only pick that really upset me was the Toomer pick. There was several better LB's availible (Terrell Manning). I think Pete puts a little too much into the height/weight/speed thing, and needs to put a bit more emphasis on competition and production.

that was Ken Norton JR's(our legendary linebacker coach) personal selection. He requested toomer himself. He said that was exactly what we needed at linebacker and would give us a solid SAM. I'm gonna go with his notion on this one

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Sakae99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought that Toomer pick kinda came out of left field too.
I guess everyone is in a "wait and see" mode. But they sometimes seem to be stepping over dollars to pick up a quarter.

I originally hated the Irvin pick, with DeCastro and Ingram on the board...but have calmed down alot.
But, I still have questions about this guy.
Can he get to the QB at the pro level? It's just not quite so easy~
Can he transition to Clemons Leo spot eventually? I think so, but it will take time if he works hard~
Can he stay clean and out of trouble? I certainly hope so, but history shows in the NFL that pot heads and gangster types wash out quickly.

I know he has a ton of talent, and other teams were looking at him early. I'm just a little skeptical until I see how Pete will use him, and how he responds.
bigjbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
bigjbos wrote:

that was Ken Norton JR's(our legendary linebacker coach) personal selection. He requested toomer himself. He said that was exactly what we needed at linebacker and would give us a solid SAM. I'm gonna go with his notion on this one

Wright already plays SAM. That's why I don't understand it. Manning was the perfect WLB.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjbos wrote:
imani wrote:
bigjbos wrote:

Wright already plays SAM. That's why I don't understand it. Manning was the perfect WLB.
Wright is a poor fit at SLB.

ram29jackson wrote:
bigjbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
bigjbos wrote:
imani wrote:
bigjbos wrote:

Wright is a poor fit at SLB.

Well he's not athletic enough to play WLB. Assuming Wagner gets MLB, there's not really an option...
imani

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said toomer has to start? Who's to say he wouldn't start out situational? Fans need understand that this defense is about much more than 11 players...it's closer to twice that

wwhickok wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: