Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade Denver's Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Broncos' Draft
A
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
B
29%
 29%  [ 19 ]
C
31%
 31%  [ 20 ]
D
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
F
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Grade Denver's Draft Reply with quote

Well, the top half (the starter's half) of the 2012 NFL Draft is in the books.

The Broncos made the following moves:

-Trade down from #25 for #36, via a pair of trades, and receive pick #101 (4) as compensation.
-Trade #87 and #120 for #67.

Round 2, #36 overall: DT Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
Round 2, #57 overall: QB Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
Round 3, #67 overall: RB Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State

So how do you grade the Broncos' draft thus far? Why?

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods

Last edited by AnAngryAmerican on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving the draft a "F" grade.

EXF traded down and got bad value for doing so.
-Grade the trades: F

Then they drafted a player at a position of need in DT Derek Wolfe, but the pick was an major reach as most hand Wolfe as a 3rd or 4th round pick. Moreover, he's from a mid-major program who never faced strong competition.
Grade the Pick: C-

Denver's next pick saw the team take a developmental QB prospect in ASU's Brock Osweiler. The pick represented a reach for a raw, 1-year starter who will likely not see the field for at least 3 years and plays a position at which Denver has little if any need. A 2nd round pick spent on a raw, developmental player at a position of little need? Awful pick.
Grade the Pick: F

The Broncos last pick of the first three rounds was a RB. Denver has a legitimate need for a RB with soft, oft-injured Knowshon Moreno, an aging Willis McGahee and a bunch of little-known role-players filling the position. With better, more accomplished, more pro-ready RBs on the board, the Broncos reach for SDSU's Ronnie Hilliman. Hillman is under-sized, from a non-marquee program, had ball security issues, is a one-dimensional scat back and is still raw as a receiver. At best, Hillman will be an occasional player who can only be on the field in certain situations and only do a few select things during those situations.
Grade the Pick: D

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst draft in the history of the NFL according to AAA... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say a B-

Wolfe and Hillman will be immediate impact guys. Osweiler will sit and be the #2, but DOES, whether you like him or not, has the potential to be a franchise guy.

Thanks, Tzimisce
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I say a B-

Wolfe and Hillman will be immediate impact guys. Osweiler will sit and be the #2, but DOES, whether you like him or not, has the potential to be a franchise guy.

Couldn't agree more... The only thing i'm upset about is not getting better value for trading out of the 1st round. That was pretty terrible. But i have grown to REALLY like the Wolfe pick, and everybody knows how much i love Osweiler.

I don't know anything about Tillman, but he provides a huge need for us as a homerun threat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I give the draft a B-, C grade

Trade D- -> I don't mind trading down, in fact, I think it was smart. However, I don't think they got terrific value for doing so. They really needed to net more than just a 4th for moving down that far.

Derek Wolfe- B -> Although he wasn't who I would have selected, I think it is a pick. He has the size and skillset that we were looking for. Also, many criticize the team, including me, for being to soft. He brings the lunch pale attitude in the middle. I hate to do this, because it sounds cliche, but I think he will be similar to Kyle Williams for the Bills. Someone who will shut up, work hard and play smart.

Osweiler- A- -> I love the fact that Denver isn't looking long term. Many keep saying " Why didn't they wait until next year." They don't know all who is coming out next year and even if they will be in a position to draft them. They felt that Osweiler can be their QB of the Future and they got their guy. At worst he is better than Caleb Hanie today. I like the boldness and the foresight to see longterm.

Hillman- C -> I think he can be productive. However, I just don't think he was great value there. Turbin, Pierce and some others were better value. However, I think Denver sees a Sproles type player so I can see where they are going with the pick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C-C+.

Wolfe- B-B+ imo. Really like this pick.

Osweiler- D with the potential to move to an A in 3-4 years if he actually turns into a franchise QB. Right now it's a D though. Only reason not an F imo is because in the future he can be our franchise QB.

Hillman- INC. I don't know much about him, but from what I've heard I really like the pick. Was seen as a reach though. I think he can really help our offense though.

Trades- D-. Poor compensation imo.

Overall this draft has been really puzzling for a number of teams. Tons of reaches and good prospects have been falling like crazy. I like us having two fourth round picks early Cool

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
bailey24broncos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give this draft a B as a whole.

As far as the trades go I give them a C. Yes we got terrible compensation but I feel that we wanted to move down more than the other teams wanted to move up, so we had to settle with less. After Kirkpatrick I believe that Wolfe was the next player on our board and EXF knew they could trade down a couple spots and still be sure to get there guy instead of terribly reaching for "their guy" in the 1st like the niners did.

Derek Wolfe- B+ I realy like this pick and it shows what they are looking for in the DT position. Wolfe will probably provide the best interior pass rush of any other DT we were looking at taking IMO. I always like the idea of building on our strength which was a pass rush. Our pass rush was already scary but now it is a nightmare for opposing QB's.

Brock Osweiler- D This pick is terrible IMO after Elway said that we would take best player available and guys who would contribute to winning right away. If Osweiler ever contributes to this team it will be at least 3-4 years from now hopefully or else Peytons 96 million dollar contract was another failure for EXF.

Ronnie Hillman- B This is another pick I really like. This is a pick that will help our offense and give Peyton a home run hitter that can score from anywhere on the field. There are some that say he cant run between the tackles and I need to watch some film, but at 5'8 200 lbs he has decent size and I have to think he can hold up and be a good back. I think this is just a luxury weapon

Props to Walter on the awesome sig^
Zukhyubern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not nearly as disappointed as some people on this board. Sure we could have made a better splash and I do think there were some better players on the board when we picked. But I think we're getting good football players. Wolfe and Hillman will contribute right away. I think they could both be steals. Wolfe's ceiling isn't as high as some guys but his floor is way up there. He's going to be a very solid DT in this league.

Hillman has the potential to be a poor man's LT. Sure, he might not be relied upon to be a feature back, but in a Manning offense he can be so dynamic. I think he really helps this offense. I was surprised throughout this whole offseason that he wasn't higher on people's boards.

As far as Osweiler goes, I really like the guy. It is somewhat frustrating to use a second rounder on him knowing that he's a developmental project but the tools are all there. If Manning pans out (which he will) Osweiler won't get much playing time which is unfortunate. He has ALL of the tools of a franchise quarterback. Size, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism and football knowledge. His only knock was a severe lack of experience which has also led to some poor judgement.

Overall I think we got good players at pretty mediocre value. So I'm giving this draft a C+ thus far.
Nyko1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share the same view as AAA. I believe we're having by far one of the worst drafts in the NFL so far.

Wolfe was a reach, but he's at a position of need. I don't know alot about him so I will hold my judgement on him, However I do not like how we drafted him much earlier than we should've. You don't take someone at a certain pick simply because you like him. Tyson Alualu is a perfect example.

The part that stands out more to me, is that Elway is a liar who is throwing out smokescreens left and right, his press conferences are almost pointless for fans to pay attention. In the pre draft press conference he talked about how he was going BPA, and that DT wasn't as big a deal as we're making it out to be. Well he reached instead of going BPA and apparently he's just as worried about our DT's as we are. There were plenty better options at DT,CB,OL,RB,WR

Grade C+

I despise the Osweiler pick. Every single year there is a QB who can be had at in the mid rounds as a developmental project. This is a pivotal year for EXF. Second round picks should bring year one contributors, if not starters. Dude won't see the field for another 3+ years.

Grade F

Again I don't know much about Ronnie Hillman, But I do know one thing; there was better talent available at the pick. Hell there was even better talent available at the same position. At Hillman will contribute Immediatly though

Grade C

The trades were abysmal. We may have still gotten who we were looking for, but I somehow feel like we were trading back and LOSING value.

Grade D
broncospride95

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is something to keep in mind, a lot of teams seemingly reached for players that were high on only there own big board. This year there seemed to be so many players falling and so many players over drafted. I think we could've had a much worse draft (Seattle) and we could've had a better draft (Cincinnati).

Also keep in mind some good players fell to tomorrow and we have two early 4th round picks. We could get some really good value picks (or we can reach for someone Wink ). Let's wait till tomorrow, I think we can get another good DT (Ta'Amu or Crick) and a CB.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a D. I'm not a big fan of Wolfe but he is an ok pick. Bit of a reach imo but he should be good rushers as a UT not sure how good vs the run. Should get 6-8 sacks.

Osweiler was a horrible pick. He was a reach, not a very good QB and he has a ton of issues.

I wasn't a big fan of Hillman and thought better backs were on the board. I didnt watch much tape on him though.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfe may turn out to be a steal, as may Osweiler, but the Hillman pick made no sense. If they wanted a RB, Lamar Miller would have been better.

And, the trades they made yesterday didn't make sense. Why didn't they get a second rounder from New England? They should have just traded the 25th overall pick to the Rams for the second-rounder they got from Washington, as well as a third-rounder.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Wolfe may turn out to be a steal, as may Osweiler, but the Hillman pick made no sense. If they wanted a RB, Lamar Miller would have been better.

And, the trades they made yesterday didn't make sense. Why didn't they get a second rounder from New England? They should have just traded the 25th overall pick to the Rams for the second-rounder they got from Washington, as well as a third-rounder.

I agree. I like Hillman and think he has a place in the NFL. However, poor value for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graded our first 3 picks a D.

Trades: I liked our first two trades, the 3rd not so much.

Trading back to 31 in the 1st netted us a 4th. Great!

Trading back from 31 to 4th pick in the 2nd wasn't really necessary, but chances are we would have grabbed Wolfe at 31 regardless of this trade. At least we gained something in moving up in the 4th Rd. Smart move if Wolfe was the top player on our board.

I loved seeing the agressive trade up ( a la McDaniels and Alphonso Smith Wink ) but, just like in the latter, the trade made little to no sense. He would have still been available at our pick and we would have been able to keep that 4th Rd. Pick. Poor Move

Pick Grades:

1.Wolfe: B
- Best pick up of the draft, most likely the only impact player we get of our entire draft. I don't understand why we valued him over Worthy, Still, and Hill.
2. Osweiler: F
- I'm speechless. Useless.
3. Hiilman: D+
- Why him over James, Miller, and Turbin? and we gave up a pick?? Not an F because at least it was a pick in a position of need.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: