Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We got greedy and lost out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indifference

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: We got greedy and lost out Reply with quote

Seriously, was passing Claiborne worth a 4th round pick?!?

Ask yourself that before proceeding. Yes, Barron is a good prospect but he ain't no Eric Berry. I hope for the best but at the end of the day, getting that 4th was not worth missing out on Claiborne at #5.

Discuss
RoeKG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way we were targeting Claiborne with that trade. Absolutely no way we allow that many picks to risk for trades if Claiborne was the target, because we would have had him if we wanted him.

We traded the pick even before the Vikings had their pick in, and people were talking about this trade before the draft even started. This was in the works for awhile.
indifference

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
There is no way we were targeting Claiborne with that trade. Absolutely no way we allow that many picks to risk for trades if Claiborne was the target, because we would have had him if we wanted him.

We traded the pick even before the Vikings had their pick in, and people were talking about this trade before the draft even started. This was in the works for awhile.
I have to say. I think Tampa didn't see anybody coming though to get him. I also believe if we wanted him that bad, he would've been the pick. So we probably didn't want him that bad. We must be very high on Talib, Wright, and Barber this year.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
RoeKG wrote:

I have to say. I think Tampa didn't see anybody coming though to get him. I also believe if we wanted him that bad, he would've been the pick. So we probably didn't want him that bad. We must be very high on Talib, Wright, and Barber this year.

With trades happening basically from picks 2 through 5, I don't think we would sit down and say "Well pick 6 will be set in stone!" especially when rumors abound of the Rams looking to trade down again.

Either Claiborne was never the guy, or they had Barron and Claiborne equally ranked on the boards and said we'll pick whoever falls. Either way Claiborne wasn't the surefire pick like most of us thought.
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple really, Dom and co. were 100% behind Richardson (evidenced by trading down and trading up for Martin). After sitting on it, I really don't have a problem with it.

We filled a huge need at #7.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get ahead of myself but I think we may be talking about our draft class for a few more years than a normal tampa draft class. What a sick day, we got tougher and more hard nose today with guys that will be ballers for us

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggybucsfan31 wrote:
It's simple really, Dom and co. were 100% behind Richardson (evidenced by trading down and trading up for Martin). After sitting on it, I really don't have a problem with it.

We filled a huge need at #7.

I agree, i think when Dom and Schiano looked at the prospects available the depth at cb is a lot better than S. There is still tons of players that we can partner with talib, barber and wright but outside of Barron, i don't think any other S makes an impact like Barron does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was skeptical of the trade back with Claiborne still on the board (Vikings hadnt picked yet). Then I heard some analysis of Barron. Schiano wants a tough physical D. Barron can cover, stop the run, hit like a mofo and is a leader. HUGE POINT: I see Barron having Brian Dawkins potential. Meaning, he will be the leader of the defense, especially vocally, as well as being a top NFL SS. His leadership and physicality is what Tampa wanted all along. Cooper was Claiborne's coach and we still didnt take him. Doesnt that mean something? We needed physicality and vocal leadership on this defense and Barron brings that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: We got greedy and lost out Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
Seriously, was passing Claiborne worth a 4th round pick?!?

Ask yourself that before proceeding. Yes, Barron is a good prospect but he ain't no Eric Berry. I hope for the best but at the end of the day, getting that 4th was not worth missing out on Claiborne at #5.

Discuss

According to Schefter, Barron was the DB we coveted all along and were willing to move back, gain a pick and select him. I kind of called this a few days ago, only I had us moving down to Buffalo.

I like the pick. Barron was a guy that was high on many teams boards, but the media didn't get word of this until the past week and a half.
indifference

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Bucsstophere?
RoeKG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
Where is Bucsstophere?

He did mention beer, didn't he? Maybe he's doing a little hardy partying.

I was looking forward to his thoughts on Barron.
manilathrilla1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should have seen this coming with the release of Tanard Jackson.

It's easy to justify that Plan A was Richardson, and Plan B was trade down just enough to obtain Barron and then trade up before the G-Men and get Martin.

Or maybe Schiano and Dom wanted Doug Martin all along, so Plan A was to trade down to obtain enough ammo to move back into the 1st to get Martin.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manilathrilla1 wrote:
Maybe we should have seen this coming with the release of Tanard Jackson.

It's easy to justify that Plan A was Richardson, and Plan B was trade down just enough to obtain Barron and then trade up before the G-Men and get Martin.

Or maybe Schiano and Dom wanted Doug Martin all along, so Plan A was to trade down to obtain enough ammo to move back into the 1st to get Martin.

I really don't think plan A was Richardson come draft time. The trade with Jax was rumored for like a full day before the draft, I think this was in the works for awhile. Then we obviously targeted Martin as the only other noteworthy physical back left after TR, which seems obvious to me.
Gruber74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, when Dallas traded up ahead of us, I'll bet Dom was scared they would take Barron. He had been linked to Dallas. But, as we all relearn every year, all the rumors and whisperings mean next to nothing (but they are fun.)
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
indifference wrote:
Where is Bucsstophere?

He did mention beer, didn't he? Maybe he's doing a little hardy partying.

I was looking forward to his thoughts on Barron.

I always hang out with friends for the draft. We stay off our phones and laptops to discuss....I'll give you guys a full break down on my thoughts later Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: