Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 29th pick, MINN selects - Harrison Smith [S] ND
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: With the 29th pick, MINN selects - Harrison Smith [S] ND Reply with quote

Harrison Smith [S] Notre Dame
6'2
213 lbs
rSR

analysis wrote:
Strengths: Looks the part with prototypical size and strength for a strong safety ... long arms with a filled-out frame. Extremely strong with natural power to make punishing hits. Physical striker who enjoys contact. Fills the run lanes hard and is a downhill athlete with an aggressive nature at the point of attack. Plays fast and closes in a flash with conviction and determination ... fast in pursuit. Makes plays at all levels of the field and has strong hands to make shoe-string tackles. Read/reacts quickly and does a nice job interpreting the eyes of the quarterback. Big-time competitor and leader, never giving up on plays ... goes hard at full speed. Very active pre-snap and shows natural awareness. Played both linebacker and safety in college with 47 career starts, showing steady improvement over his time in South Bend. Very productive at Notre Dame, leaving as the only player in school history to register more than 200 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 15 pass break-ups over his career ... finished with 307 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 28 pass break-ups.

Weaknesses: An upright athlete who lacks ideal body flexibility and natural explosion to hold up in coverage or space. Has tight hips and struggles to turn and quickly change directions ... plays stiff. Needs to be a more technically-sound tackler, often going for the knockout hit or forced fumble instead of wrapping up ... hits too high and loses leverage, allowing ballcarriers to pick up extra yards. Plays overaggressive and moves too fast for his eyes ... missed tackles in space and over runs plays. Has streaky instincts and doesn't see things as quick as he needs to. Still has a lot of developing to do. Needs to play under control and disciplined ... too many unnecessary facemask penalties on his record. Has poor footwork and feel in man coverage and is too hands-on when left on an island ... will attract pass interference penalties. Still made too many mistakes as a senior and didn't register an interception in 2011 after seven pick-offs in 2010.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1265468/harrison-smith

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zephiel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Smith, my boy!!

So glad we did this. It was CRITICAL that we get a safety who can start in this draft, and we got one. I love me some Harrison Smith.

This draft is going beautifully to me so far!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was going to take him, that they felt they needed to trade up? I like that they got a DB, I preferred Lavonte David on D at this point, but they needed DB help...
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, but Spielman is one predictable guy. How many of us over the last few months pegged Kalil/Smith as 1/2. It got so bad that we started to overthink it. Two low risk players from Spielman's go to schools. His patterns are so predictable.

If this follows suit, we will trade our 3rd & remaining 4th to move up to the middle of the 2nd and take Alshon Jeffery. Just wait.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
Love it, but Spielman is one predictable guy. How many of us over the last few months pegged Kalil/Smith as 1/2. It got so bad that we started to overthink it. Two low risk players from Spielman's go to schools. His patterns are so predictable.

If this follows suit, we will trade our 3rd & remaining 4th to move up to the middle of the 2nd and take Alshon Jeffery. Just wait.

I think I'd be ok with that....
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:

I believe Alshon could be available in the 3rd.

If not, id love to see someone like Casey Hayward or Hosley.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:

I think I'd be ok with that....

Take care of 3 of your biggest needs in 2 rounds...I would be as well. I'd just hope it's a Stephen Hill/Randle over a Jeffery. Pray

3 sure starters in 2 rounds is very good.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!

Last edited by Vikes_Bolts1228 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleProwess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have the "safe" picks over the high potential "risk" picks.

Some gave all, All gave some.

All posting to be done henceforth via Phone. I apologize for the errors.
Zephiel

LoverInTheCold wrote:

You don't know how much I would love that.
ProudHorn

I'm extatic right now. My two favorite players in the draft are now on my favorite team!

Smith will be a beast and provide a general on the field for this defense for years.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick. Most would argue Safety was a bigger need than CB at this point, hopefully MN goes CB or WR in round 3.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the draft, drafting Kalil and Smith was the perfect scenario for me.

A great job by Spielman on day one!

Don't forget, the Vikings still have 10 picks left.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:

You don't know how much I would love that.

If the predictions are in the list of "to do" picks then that is the list I want him to be on.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:

Yes, please.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman better bookmark this thread!

Look at all the praise he's getting!

By week 2, it will be replaced with topics about him being fired.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: