Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Draft Thread - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hester trade wouldn't have been bad had he shown up as the RB they drafted him to be. Unfortunately, it took him a few years to show he could actually run the ball. Now he'll be Mathews' primary backup. Add that in with his ST abilities, and it wasn't as horrible as a trade as some make it out to be.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Pepere Gustave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ did a good job in Free Agency, and the team won't have to go OLB in the 1st round.
Phillips and JJ are our starters. Barnes comes in to rush the QB. AJ gives a last chance to English to stay healthy. I am not afraid to say it, but I am happy with these 4 guys. These 4 players are all better than our RT and SS starters.
OLB is a premium position and injuries may affect us again, so I wont mind to take Perry or Upshaw in the first round.
I would prefer to get a RT, SS, DT/DE or a guard (I am not sure, but I think our 2 starters will be free agents next year).
BoltsFan937

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be happy with any one of these guys
Decastro
Barron
Perry
Hightower
Kirkpatrick
Chandler Jones
Reiff
Brockers

Will reserve judgement if we select
Mcclellin
Upshaw
Branch
Glenn
Gilmore
Harrison smith
Curry
Poe

Im goin to jail if we select
Mercilus
Martin
Adams
Worthy
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting a DB in the 1st. Bigby isn't a solution, Jammer is my age (It hurts me to get out of bed), and they don't trust Cason. There's a serious need for depth in the secondary.

Without anything behind it, my guess is that it goes in this order

1-DB
2-DL
3-OLB
4-RB
5-QB
6-OL
7a-OL
7b-TE

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start getting mad now, because I think this is a strong possibility

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers "love" Alabama S Mark Barron and have discussed the possibility of trading up for him. Expected to be a top-15 pick, Barron is unlikely to fall to the Chargers at No. 18, especially with the Cowboys and Jets picking at No. 14 and 16, respectively. Atari Bigby is currently penciled in as San Diego's starting strong safety after spending 2011 as a reserve for Seattle. Barron would provide an instant upgrade to a secondary that lost Steve Gregory to free agency.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers "love" Alabama S Mark Barron and have discussed the possibility of trading up for him. Expected to be a top-15 pick, Barron is unlikely to fall to the Chargers at No. 18, especially with the Cowboys and Jets picking at No. 14 and 16, respectively. Atari Bigby is currently penciled in as San Diego's starting strong safety after spending 2011 as a reserve for Seattle. Barron would provide an instant upgrade to a secondary that lost Steve Gregory to free agency.

I'll fly out to San Diego and stab AJ with a fork.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Rotoworld wrote:

After some thought, you just became our designated "hitman". Since nobody else here is a minor, you get to do the dirty work.

AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

Rotoworld wrote:

Your previous post even says we need a safety. Bigby is not a starter on a playoff caliber defense.

Trading up to get him? Meh, if its a few spots the price is likely a 3rd and maybe a 6th.

Quote:

For the trade or for the pick? Or both :p ?
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a very good pick, but obviously you guys disagree. But to trade up for him, thats the part I am not a fan of.
sanitizer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would upset all of us! So it seems like the logical pick doesn't it? I just hope we don't move up, we need youth and depth, unless we're getting Cox I don't want to move
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Rotoworld wrote:

Your previous post even says we need a safety. Bigby is not a starter on a playoff caliber defense.

Trading up to get him? Meh, if its a few spots the price is likely a 3rd and maybe a 6th.

I'm only mad if a trade is made, I have little doubt that a DB is the first pick. I honestly don't know enough about Barron to have an opinion one way or another, I just know the thought of picking him isn't sitting well around here.

If he truly is the best SS, he should be the pick. TE's have been eating this team alive for years, and they have to figure out a way to stop it. We saw how good of a playmaker Weddle can be when he's allowed to roam, and adding player next to him will only make him better.

So what's the breakdown on Barron? What's everybody's problem with him?

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's tight, not that fast, and played behind a front 7 that would make me a step beyond downright horrendous because of how good they are.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to beleive there is some merit to this rumor as well. I know ESPN reported we were looking at trade up options before the 2010 draft, and it was reported somewhere in 2009 we were looking at pass rushers when all of us thought OT or DE.

Quote:
I'm only mad if a trade is made, I have little doubt that a DB is the first pick. I honestly don't know enough about Barron to have an opinion one way or another, I just know the thought of picking him isn't sitting well around here.

I agree that our DB situation is pretty bleak. I think the depth we have is reasonable: 3 young guys in Stuckey, Gilchrist, and Wright who can play in packages and maybe someday take over. But looking at the starters we have- Jammer who has had back to back average years and is past his prime, Cason who is the poster-boy for inconsistent, and Bibgy who is along the lines of Clinton Hart and Marlon McCree level talent.

Harrison Smith is fine if we do trade back, but AJ is not the trad eback type. So its either reach with pick 18 or trade the 2nd round pick + more. If those are the alternatives to Barron I think I would prefer giving up the 3rd +5th/6th for Barron than the same price for Smith.
Spartan300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have you guys taking Perry. Do you guys like him at 18?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing we know for sure about Stuckey is that he's a good gunner. Wright was only active a few times all season, and I'm not sure he'll be anything better than a 3rd CB. Gilchrist is going to be good. He had some struggles, but he was solid overall.

With Jammer's age, Cason only being able to cover about half the time, and having Bigby as the starting SS, I just can't see them going anywhere but DB.

I know everybody is set on a pass rusher, but it's more of a depth need than anything. There are guys with ability on the roster, and they're showing their faulty loyalty to a few guys. Depending on what happens this year with the guys who's contract is, OLB may bee a serious early need next year. For now, it's just a depth issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: