Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tyson Jackson restructures his contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Tyson Jackson restructures his contract Reply with quote

Chiefs DE Tyson Jackson has restructured his contract.
Playing-time incentives had pushed Jackson's 2012 base salary to $8.005 million, but he'll now make a fully guaranteed $4 million to go along with a $250,000 workout bonus. An additional $500,000 is available through playing-time incentives, while a $2.5 million option bonus that had been due in 2014 has been pushed onto this year's cap. Jackson's 2013 base salary remains a prohibitive $14.72 million, though "just" $3.22 million of it is guaranteed.

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
KillaCityChief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. I guess we all saw this coming.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Jack!! Team Player!! Thank you Tyson!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
KillaCityChief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the contract some more, this sets him up for one of two scenarios: He will either be released or extended after this year. His salary next year is still wildly unwieldy, so if he plays well this year he will probably get a contract extension, lowering next years cap number significantly. If he doesn't play well enough to warrant an extension he'll be cut, saving the team about 11 million dollars.

This was a great, great move by Pioli and co. creating so much flexibility with Tyson.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG OMG OMG. WHO WAS THE GUY I WAS ARGUING WITH ABOUT RESTRUCTURING!? I KEPT SAYIN OVER AND OVER HOW JACKSON WOULD RESTRUCTURE BUT NOOOOOO ONE WANTED TO BELIEVE OL MIKEY!!!!

I KNEW IT!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
OMG OMG OMG. WHO WAS THE GUY I WAS ARGUING WITH ABOUT RESTRUCTURING!? I KEPT SAYIN OVER AND OVER HOW JACKSON WOULD RESTRUCTURE BUT NOOOOOO ONE WANTED TO BELIEVE OL MIKEY!!!!

I KNEW IT!!!

That you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KillaCityChief wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

I KNEW IT!!!

That you?

No that's my dad.

Like father like son.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure how anyone could have thought anything other than this would have happened.
UPlay2Win

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the cap hit went from $10.755 to $9.5 but I'm not sure I understand how.

We replaced base salary with bonuses so he gets the same amount of money but it is more cap friendly. His final year is deleted, but he probably wouldn't have seen that if he became a top-3 DE in the league.

So the positives for the FO are: extra cap this year and less money out of Clark's pocket if we decide to cut him after this year.

Jackson's positives: more guaranteed this year (he essentially is guaranteed to not be cut)

Is that right?

Assuming he makes all of his incentives either way, what's the bottom line of what Tyson sees now compared to what it was

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you were arguing with mayanfootball, at least that is who I thought I was.
Flexx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
KillaCityChief wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

I KNEW IT!!!

That you?

No that's my dad.

Like father like son.
How OLD did you say you were? LOL
RedandGold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even with the restructuring he is well overpaid for a parttime player

WORST COACH IN KC HISTORY
Thanks for the sig Saintsfan
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I believe you were arguing with mayanfootball, at least that is who I thought I was.

I'm pretty sure I argued with MikeK as well, but IIRC it was more for the several restructures he listed, but I could be misremembering. I guess I hadn't thought about this scenario, and all it does is really lower his cap number this year, and make it more definitive to him to make his presence known this year. If he excels, then he gets long term extension, if not he's cut. He also has the benefit of not getting cut this year, and as such gets to play in the best case scenario for his performance to warrant a bigger deal.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PFT has confirmed that Chiefs defensive lineman Tyson Jackson on April 12 reduced his 2012 base salary from $8.005 million to $4.25 million. The restructured deal was first reported by Brian McIntyre....

The good news for Tyson is that $4 million is now fully guaranteed.... previously....only $2.505 million of Jackson’s base salary for 2012 was fully guaranteed....

In return....the 2014 season officially has been wiped off the books.... resulting in the shifting of a $2.5 million option bonus proration into 2012. (The sixth year already was going to go away, since it was voidable and Jackson had reached the trigger.) Jackson’s cap number for the current year consequently has dropped only by $1.225 million.... from $10.755 million to $9.5 million....

Unlike Smith’s deal, which shifted most of his salary to a roster bonus, Jackson continues to have a mammoth base salary due in 2013....giving the Chiefs extra time to decide whether to keep him. The terms for 2013 are unchanged....with a base salary of $14.72 million....$3.22 million of which is guaranteed for injury and salary cap, but not for skill....

Come 2013....the Chiefs surely will be interested in reducing Jackson’s cap number of $17.47 million. They can do it with an extension....or by cutting Jackson for skill reasons and clearing the full $14.72 million off the books....

And so....in exchange for giving up $3.755 million in base salary this year....Jackson picked up another $1.495 million in guaranteed pay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/tyson-jackson-takes-a-big-pay-cut-too/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: