Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What NHL Playoff Matchups are most likely upsets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbtb135

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryz has been the better goalie so far. That save on Letang was pretty sweet.

Both defenses have played horribly. The Pens aren't great defensively, and the Flyers had some stinkers during the season (Winnepeg), but I didn't expect both Ds to be THIS bad. I don't know what was worse, the D on the goal 15 seconds in or the D on the shorthanded goal by Talbot.

I expected both teams to tighten up, because playoff hockey just pops it's head out every year. Instead, their collective D looks awful. Whoever wins is going to have to tighten it up big time if they're going to go far in the East. I could see NY running through either team right now, as is.

The Blues disappointed me. That was a very nice shot by Havlat, but you just can't give up that lead.
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the whole debate was over which goalie would be better instead it is which goalie has been less bad. Bryz has let in his share of bad goals but he has also made some crucial saves, MAF outside of Game 1 hasn't made too many.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleury had some incredible saves in game 1, and it wasn't his fault they lost. But he have been poor this last 2 games, and while Bryz stats isn't pretty he had some extremely crucial saves.

I think the word is clutch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Fleury had some incredible saves in game 1, and it wasn't his fault they lost. But he have been poor this last 2 games, and while Bryz stats isn't pretty he had some extremely crucial saves.

I think the word is clutch.

lol, clutch is hardly the word that comes to mind, not to mention the most overused phrase in sports.

Lets call a spade a spade, Bryz has been pretty bad. Having said that, the defense in front of him sans Coburn and maybe Kimmo has been even worse. But as I said he has made some big saves during games to keep the Flyers in it most noticeably, his save against Letang seemed to be a momentum changer.

Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Philadelphia doesn't tighten up defensively I'm not sure it matters who they play in the second round...they're going to lose. That being said these playoffs are absolutely wide open. I'm loving the Kings right now. Always stick with your guns...they were my pre-season Western Conference pick and now they're looking like they may actually go on a run.

Of course I probably just jinxed them Laughing
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
If Philadelphia doesn't tighten up defensively I'm not sure it matters who they play in the second round...they're going to lose. That being said these playoffs are absolutely wide open. I'm loving the Kings right now. Always stick with your guns...they were my pre-season Western Conference pick and now they're looking like they may actually go on a run.

Well I think it will help IF we get to the 2nd round that we will get Andrej Meszaros back. Our defense has had its ups and downs all season but I think IF we beat the Pens we can put this series behind us and try to tighten things up. Boy, do I miss Chris Pronger.

Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Spiel612 wrote:

Well I think it will help IF we get to the 2nd round that we will get Andrej Meszaros back. Our defense has had its ups and downs all season but I think IF we beat the Pens we can put this series behind us and try to tighten things up. Boy, do I miss Chris Pronger.

I love hockey superstition. You have to say IF as a Flyers fan. Just as I have to as a Rangers fan.

But realistically this series is over. Pittsburgh would have to do something that's only been done three times in the history of the sport. But I'll humor the superstition.
dbtb135

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
lol, clutch is hardly the word that comes to mind, not to mention the most overused phrase in sports.

Lets call a spade a spade, Bryz has been pretty bad. Having said that, the defense in front of him sans Coburn and maybe Kimmo has been even worse. But as I said he has made some big saves during games to keep the Flyers in it most noticeably, his save against Letang seemed to be a momentum changer.

The save on Letang was huge. But looking back, it would have only delayed the inevitable. Pittsburgh's D has been nothing short of atrocious this whole series. Their PK is just awful. How they can keep allowing these clean passes/looks in front of the goal is beyond me. As a Blues fan, it's just strange watching that series and the Blues/Sharks, where great scoring chances are few and far between. But no series has the ridiculous number of defensive gaffes and unbelievably clean scoring chances that this one does. MAF has been pretty bad, but somehow the defense has been worse. Maybe they should have traded Letang instead of Goligoski. And boy do they miss Hal Gill from a few years ago...
CalLionsFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 3 or so games in - Let's review so far:

NYR vs. Ottawa-Sens putting up a good fight so far, still see NYR winning series.

Boston vs. Wash. - Great series so far. I think could go 7

Florida vs. NJD - Something in this series is missing for me........oh yea, interest. Confused

Pitts. vs. Philly - What goaltending battle? Bryz. is playing good enough and Fluery couldn't stop a basketball at this point. This ones over.

Van. vs. L.A. - Shocked <----- And I'm a Kings fan! Very Happy

STL vs. S.J. - Good series so far. Blues almost let a great game get away from them last night.

Phox. vs. Chicago - Two OT games in a row. Doesn't matter if you like either team.....watch this series.

Nash. vs. Det. - I'm gonna say 7 games. Winner will be Nashville! no wait, I meant Detroit. No...........well maybe?

All in all, It's great playoff hockey so far. But I still cannot believe:

Philly's domination of the Penguins

3-0 lead for L.A. over Vancouver

And the kid in net for the Caps.

See you for round 2....... Very Happy
dbtb135

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holtby is playing well, but Boston is just missing something without Horton. Washington has like a revolving door of above average goalies. Varly was for them, and after a little spurt with Colorado's young D shaking out, will be again. Neuvirth is. Vokoun's best days are past him, but he can be. Holtby is. They just have too many "solid" goalies in their franchise. Nobody ever knows who's going to be THE guy for that team. I couldn't tell you who is going to be the opening starter for them next year. It's crazy.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:
Holtby is playing well, but Boston is just missing something without Horton. Washington has like a revolving door of above average goalies. Varly was for them, and after a little spurt with Colorado's young D shaking out, will be again. Neuvirth is. Vokoun's best days are past him, but he can be. Holtby is. They just have too many "solid" goalies in their franchise. Nobody ever knows who's going to be THE guy for that team. I couldn't tell you who is going to be the opening starter for them next year. It's crazy.

It's called Phiadelphia Flyers Syndrome.

dbtb135

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:

Yeah, Philly didn't have an answer at goalie for a while, but at least they'd stick with somebody. In Washington, you don't know who it's going to be month-to-month. They re-shuffle the deck all the time, or at least it seems like it. It was Varly, then Neuvirth, then Varly again, then Neuvirth, then Holtby for a short time, then Neuvirth again, then they traded Varly, brought in Vokoun, and it was Vokoun for a while, then it was Neuvirth again, now it's Holtby, next it'll be Vokoun probably, then Neuvrith right after. It's so ridiculously rapid-fire.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
dbtb135 wrote:

Yeah, Philly didn't have an answer at goalie for a while, but at least they'd stick with somebody. In Washington, you don't know who it's going to be month-to-month. They re-shuffle the deck all the time, or at least it seems like it. It was Varly, then Neuvirth, then Varly again, then Neuvirth, then Holtby for a short time, then Neuvirth again, then they traded Varly, brought in Vokoun, and it was Vokoun for a while, then it was Neuvirth again, now it's Holtby, next it'll be Vokoun probably, then Neuvrith right after. It's cso ridiculously rapid-fire.

Well we saw the same thing during the playoffs the last 2 years between Boucher, Leighton and Bobrovsky.

BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the Flyers are playing the highest scoring team in the league needs to be taken into account. Sure, Bryz has let up his share of softies and the defense will definitely need to tighten it up against better defensive teams should we advance, but just remember the firepower of the Penguins. Overall, I feel as though we've contained their star players thus far, specifically Malkin, so that has been a positive. Winning the special teams battle by a significant margin certainly helps too.

The return of Meszaros would give our defense a significant boost, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mike Smith has proven that he's more than just a product of Phoenix's system in this series. Regardless of the outcome tonight or in this series, he has been fantastic. Chicago has had multiple chances tonight as a result of blown coverages and defensive mistakes, and Smith has answered the bell every time. Right now the Blackhawks simply can't solve him, and his save on Morrison down low was straight up robbery. I've been very impressed with his side-to-side movement, rebound control, and overall competitiveness in this series. He's quickly establishing himself as one of the game's better goaltenders, and a semi-finals in the West consisting of he, Rinne, Quick, and Elliot in goal could be pretty special.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: