Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who do you draft?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you draft #18?
QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RB Doug Martin, Boise State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RB Lamar Miller, Miami
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Devon Still, Penn State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
DT Michael Brockers, LSU
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DE Nick Perry, USC
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
LB Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other player, post below
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author Message
PackMan22


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 922
Location: Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Who do you draft? Reply with quote

The following players are off the board....

#1 IND- QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
#2 WAS- QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
#3 MIN- OT Matt Kalil, USC
#4 CLE- WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
#5 TB- RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
#6 STL- DB Morris Claiborne, LSU
#7 JAX- WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
#8 MIA- LB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
#9 CAR- OG David DeCastro, Stanford
#10 BUF- OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
#11 KC- QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
#12 SEA- LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
#13 ARI- OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
#14 DAL- DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
#15 PHI- DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
#16 NYJ- OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
#17 CIN- SS Mark Barron, Alabama

If you stay at this pick who would you draft?
_________________
Adopt-a-Packer Frank Zombo

Can we please cease and desist with the term 'professional athletes representing their country'? That term should be reserved for one man and one man only: Pat Tillman.-Mike Bianchi, Orlando Sentinel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8260
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is even close it has to be Nick Perry with DeCastro and Glenn off the board...
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17763
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
I don't think this is even close it has to be Nick Perry with DeCastro and Glenn off the board...


I think a lot of you are going to be mad come draft day. I highly doubt they go OLB early. By not cutting English and LaBoy, they're going to stick.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 25317
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
I don't think this is even close it has to be Nick Perry with DeCastro and Glenn off the board...


I think a lot of you are going to be mad come draft day. I highly doubt they go OLB early. By not cutting English and LaBoy, they're going to stick.


There's no reason for them to cut LaBoy at this time (regardless of how much we all hate him and want him gone).
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6136
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't three deep at pass rusher in today's NFL then pass rusher is a first round need. That being said I am not a fan of Perry. For all my bias towards the program at SDSU I am just as biased towards USC and LSU. Take the projected round any player is supposed to go according to Kiper and drop it a round and you have the accurate value of a player from LSU or USC. As a second round pick I'd love Perry but I am not willing to bet my first round pick on a guy that has always had the benefit of playing around other top tier talents.

We need a contributer in the first round this year. A Demeco Ryan's type of player not a Antonio Cromartie where we are just hoping and praying he can play at the NFL level. Safe day one starter is my goal this season.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17763
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
If you aren't three deep at pass rusher in today's NFL then pass rusher is a first round need. That being said I am not a fan of Perry. For all my bias towards the program at SDSU I am just as biased towards USC and LSU. Take the projected round any player is supposed to go according to Kiper and drop it a round and you have the accurate value of a player from LSU or USC. As a second round pick I'd love Perry but I am not willing to bet my first round pick on a guy that has always had the benefit of playing around other top tier talents.

We need a contributer in the first round this year. A Demeco Ryan's type of player not a Antonio Cromartie where we are just hoping and praying he can play at the NFL level. Safe day one starter is my goal this season.


There's a lot of "expert" mocks that have Perry dropping out of the 1st right now. You may just be on to something...

Due to blind loyalty, there is depth at OLB right now. I think most of us would agree that they could definitely do without English, and LaBoy, but the staff wants to keep them. Phillips and Johnson will start, with Barnes coming in on 3rd. Going by the way things have gone in the past, this will be enough to keep them from drafting an OLB high. My guess is that they'll pick somebody up in the 3rd-4th, unless there's an amazing value in the 2nd.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanitizer


Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that if Fletcher Cox is in that range we would try to move up for him. I agree with the discussion that our biggest need, a rush linebacker, may be selected in the middle rounds. I don't like Barron, but he fills a huge need. I don't like the idea of guard at 18, seems too high, but if DeCastro is available and as safe as they say, then lets do it. And if Cordy Glenn is able to be a productive RT and theres a chance we boot Clary to the curb, then maybe him, maybe.

With all of the scenario's being thrown around, I would hope that Kendall Wright is available and someone is willing to move up for him and we can pick up some additional picks. Then the idea of going 2 rush linebackers in the middle rounds would/could be a very rewarding strategy. We've filled some holes, but we sure have a lot to fill and need to get younger.

I keep seeing the "experts" mock us a RB in the 2nd, Doug Martin/David Wilson and others, what are your guys thoughts on that route?

What if we could do a trade with Houston, our 1st and 4th for their 1st and 2nd.

1. Kevin Zeitler
2a. Harrison Smith
2b. Shea McClellin
3. Josh Chapman/Mike Martin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6136
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I'm asking myself right now is Clary just the scapegoat of why our offensive line is weak. The fact is the dude is the only guy on our offensive line that plays every game. He might just catch unnecessary flak as being the dude tired from playing every snap. He might just be getting singled out as the guy that messed up because he is the only one that has been on the field for every play we blew the last few years.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17763
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
The question I'm asking myself right now is Clary just the scapegoat of why our offensive line is weak. The fact is the dude is the only guy on our offensive line that plays every game. He might just catch unnecessary flak as being the dude tired from playing every snap. He might just be getting singled out as the guy that messed up because he is the only one that has been on the field for every play we blew the last few years.


If that were the case, I wouldn't be so hard on him. He truly is as bad as I've been saying. If you actually watch him, it's not hard to see. He's incredibly slow out of his stance, has terrible lateral movement, doesn't get leverage, completely misses assignments, has terrible footwork overall, and falls down 9/10 times he gets into space (Not a joke or exaggeration). There were a few times that he got ran over, and Sproles stood the same guy up. That's a huge problem.

Are all of the offensive problems his fault? No. He does definitely hinder the offense though. The sack numbers don't always show it, but Rivers gets hit a lot, and he gets hit hard, most of it from Clary's side. You can see a few times a game where he doesn't even get a hand on the rusher. That puts so much extra pressure on the RB's/TE's, and it takes away a receiver.

It was easy to see the difference when they ran towards Gaither. He can block in space. There were long runs, or they got hard yards for a first. When they get Clary outside, he trips over his own feet.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6136
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. All I've ever seen Clary do is get beat, thats the only memorable thing that stands out but by the same token. I can't think of a single play in my memory that he wasn't on the field for. I can't even say that for Philip Rivers who is the the measuring stick for tough quarterbacks.

Maybe the only reason Clary gets beat is because anyone else would be on the sidelines and he just stays in and keeps on trucking. I don't know and without actually talking to the dude I can't see a solid answer.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17763
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I agree. All I've ever seen Clary do is get beat, thats the only memorable thing that stands out but by the same token. I can't think of a single play in my memory that he wasn't on the field for. I can't even say that for Philip Rivers who is the the measuring stick for tough quarterbacks.

Maybe the only reason Clary gets beat is because anyone else would be on the sidelines and he just stays in and keeps on trucking. I don't know and without actually talking to the dude I can't see a solid answer.


He gets beat early in the game too. He might be so durable because he completely whiffs on so many blocks, and falls before he hits anybody. He's making a lot less contact than the other OL....
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6136
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
I agree. All I've ever seen Clary do is get beat, thats the only memorable thing that stands out but by the same token. I can't think of a single play in my memory that he wasn't on the field for. I can't even say that for Philip Rivers who is the the measuring stick for tough quarterbacks.

Maybe the only reason Clary gets beat is because anyone else would be on the sidelines and he just stays in and keeps on trucking. I don't know and without actually talking to the dude I can't see a solid answer.


He gets beat early in the game too. He might be so durable because he completely whiffs on so many blocks, and falls before he hits anybody. He's making a lot less contact than the other OL....


Touche' good sir. He might be the healthiest offensive lineman on our team because he spends the most time sitting down while on the field.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The-Beast


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 9002
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I don't know and without actually talking to the dude I can't see a solid answer.
You wouldn't get anywhere by talking to the dude, if you've heard him before you'd know that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lakeroy


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I I can't think of a single play in my memory that he wasn't on the field for. I can't even say that for Philip Rivers who is the the measuring stick for tough quarterbacks.
He missed the second half of the 2009 season on IR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanitizer


Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone read into Joe Berry, our linebackers coach being on the USC coaching staff with Perry?

I think if it comes down to Mercilus, Perry and Upshaw, I prefer them in that order. I really don't know how to gauge this draft, but I think at 18 we kind of miss out on an impact player. The 3 listed have so many question marks, especially Upshaw weighing in, and running like an offensive lineman, though I like how he has experience playing linebacker in a 3-4, which is the big questions concerning Mercilus and Perry.

My new wish list has either, or both, Fletcher Cox dropping to 18, or David DeCastro and possibly Riley Reiff with our lack of depth, starting Clary and injury concern/work ethic with Gaither.

I'm also getting more and more on board with a corner in the first 3 rounds. Cason is such a mystery and Jammer is, well, old.

Can someone just get AJ on these boards to help us sleep at night?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group