Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins re-sign Fletcher
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Redskins re-sign Fletcher Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/2302/London-Fletcher

Redskins re-signed ILB London Fletcher.

Quote:
He's the last of the marquee free agent inside linebackers to sign. Fletcher turns 37 in May, but remains one of the league's top run defenders and can still hold his own in pass coverage. Fletcher's 166 tackles led the NFL in 2011, and he's also forced six fumbles over the past two seasons. He added two interceptions and will return as one of the better re-draft IDP targets going. Apr 13 - 5:43 PM
Ohhh happy days!! Dancing

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me kinda sad now. I do believe we are going to lose Fletcher. Sorry Alexander- we can't throw everything out the window and sign him: We don't have anything to throw out the window after Goodell and the NFLPA just raped us for $36 Million. Maybe we could cut Alexander and a few other guys to sign Fletcher, but where would that get us in the long run?

i think it's very ironic though that for years and years (especially thru GW times) we kept screaming that you build the team through drafting the Lines. While over and over they would draft CB or LB heavy (and not even good ones, or just go nuts on other random positions) where we had glaring deficiencies at DT and DE. The tables have turned completely as now our DL is looking solid and tight and suddenly our secondary is full of holes.

Looks like a rough Defensive Year for the team but I'll be confident that we can fix the secondary in the future. Just sad it will be brutal without Fletch.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
This makes me kinda sad now. I do believe we are going to lose Fletcher. Sorry Alexander- we can't throw everything out the window and sign him: We don't have anything to throw out the window after Goodell and the NFLPA just raped us for $36 Million. Maybe we could cut Alexander and a few other guys to sign Fletcher, but where would that get us in the long run?

i think it's very ironic though that for years and years (especially thru GW times) we kept screaming that you build the team through drafting the Lines. While over and over they would draft CB or LB heavy (and not even good ones, or just go nuts on other random positions) where we had glaring deficiencies at DT and DE. The tables have turned completely as now our DL is looking solid and tight and suddenly our secondary is full of holes.

Looks like a rough Defensive Year for the team but I'll be confident that we can fix the secondary in the future. Just sad it will be brutal without Fletch.
It's not like we've lost him buddy. I think we are still the front runner signing him. It just hasn't happened yet. I don't think our secondary is "full of holes" we have a good but not great starting pair, and some veteran and young depth behind them. Same with our safeties we have a few vets and a young guy but we need to draft a DB or two. I think our D will be better than last years but obviously we have to re-sign fletch for that to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must re-sign him seeimg as there are no serviceable lbs left in FA.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Did Hawthorne sign? How bout Larry Grant and EJ Hendrrson? There are guys out there and we can take someone in round 3 and just start them. I mean we are getting younger anyways at all other positions, if we can't resign Fletch just get a ilb in round 3 or 4 and start them.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Did Hawthorne sign? How bout Larry Grant and EJ Hendrrson? There are guys out there and we can take someone in round 3 and just start them. I mean we are getting younger anyways at all other positions, if we can't resign Fletch just get a ilb in round 3 or 4 and start them.

I agree we haven't lost him yet, and hopefully the interested teams fill their positions and we get Fletcher back.

At least we have 2 4th round picks. That and our third should get us a couple of quality starters. Really Hope one of those is an Olineman though, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they even waited on that given our secondary. And even if we re-sign Fletcher it would still be wise to draft like he isn't here considering his age. I would draft one before signing a second-rate FA LB to fill the void.

I'm willing to deal with us having a few holes on the team though since they are going to fill the #1 most important position in a dazzling way. I would much rather see us have a hole in the secondary than not have a Franchise QB again.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:

The Saints signef Hawthorne along with Lofton Sad

mike23md on the sig
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:

The Saints signef Hawthorne along with Lofton Sad
Ohhh damn Aints! Laughing
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him go. I understand Fletch is trying to get the best deal possible and he deserves it but this is now a young, re-building franchise and there is no point in throwing out big contracts to old players, even guys as productive as Fletch considering we have no clue when he will hit the wall.

Perry Riley was exceptional last year and I think he can lead this defense. Go out and draft Tank Carder, Acho or Burfict and develop that guy behind Keyaron Fox. Again I don't blame Fletch at all for trying to get the best deal possible but I have felt for awhile he didn't want to play here anymore regardless of what he was saying.

RIP Sean Taylor "Forever a Redskin"
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Let him go. I understand Fletch is trying to get the best deal possible and he deserves it but this is now a young, re-building franchise and there is no point in throwing out big contracts to old players, even guys as productive as Fletch considering we have no clue when he will hit the wall.

Perry Riley was exceptional last year and I think he can lead this defense. Go out and draft Tank Carder, Acho or Burfict and develop that guy behind Keyaron Fox. Again I don't blame Fletch at all for trying to get the best deal possible but I have felt for awhile he didn't want to play here anymore regardless of what he was saying.
He does deserve a chance at another superbowl, the thing is that all the teams that would be superbowl contenders but i guess the giants have a solid MLB.

I guess I could see him in GB, Philly, NE, Pitt, Hou or NYJ but they seem like long shots.
skinsfan36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to get ridiculous everyone with holes at ILB have signed someone except for the bucs who have decided to keep foster in te middle. Fletch needs to just sign already and come back. If he doesnt farrior knows the d from Pittsburgh so we could sign him as a stopgap
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfan36 wrote:
It's starting to get ridiculous everyone with holes at ILB have signed someone except for the bucs who have decided to keep foster in te middle. Fletch needs to just sign already and come back. If he doesnt farrior knows the d from Pittsburgh so we could sign him as a stopgap

I wouldnt be opposed to signing Farrior.

mike23md on the sig
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree Farrior would be a good stop gap for a year or two but I think if Farrior plays again it will be with a playoff contending team. I'd see him signing with the NYJ, Hou, maybe GB or NYG to make another run at a super bowl.

What's the point in a veteran with two years probably left in his career (at most) signing with a rebuilding team?

I wish we'd sign Fletch but if he doesn't want to play here, I understand why.

It's almost gotten to the point where we need to sign Larry Grant to a contract and forget about London Fletcher.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4953/player?r=1

Quote:
49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.

The original-round tender comes with a salary of approximately $1.26 million. The other option was a second-round tender at $1.92 million. In saving $700,000, the Niners stand a good chance to lose Grant for the price of just a seventh-round pick. He more than held his own as a fill-in for Patrick Willis in December. Mar 9 - 11:46 AM
Source: CSN Bay Area
I'd give up a 7th for him.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
It's almost gotten to the point where we need to sign Larry Grant to a contract and forget about London Fletcher.

Quote:
49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.

The original-round tender comes with a salary of approximately $1.26 million. The other option was a second-round tender at $1.92 million. In saving $700,000, the Niners stand a good chance to lose Grant for the price of just a seventh-round pick. He more than held his own as a fill-in for Patrick Willis in December. Mar 9 - 11:46 AM

And what happens if the 49ers match our contract? What does that do for our negotiations with Fletcher?

Look, London is not a stupid guy. I think he knows he's not about to get anywhere near the contract he would get if he stayed with us. The problem is he wants one last payday, and we cannot amortize the cap hit over a long enough time frame that wouldn't cripple our cap.

I suppose we could offer him a five year deal that automatically voids after three years (it would only be five years for accounting purposes). Means dead cap in 2015 or 2016, but that may be the price we need to pay.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

And what happens if the 49ers match our contract? What does that do for our negotiations with Fletcher?
I don't think it matters, personally, I think the redskins and Fletcher seem to be in two different places. If we extremely wanted Fletcher back we would have already offered him Ray Lewis type $$ and I'm sure Fletcher would have signed the contract. If Fletcher wanted to be here over making an extra million a year or so, he would have signed whatever contract we offered him also. At some point, we need to do something. A few weeks ago, I was not worried about our situtation at ILb because I felt we had plently of time to sign a guy and I thought Fletcher would eventually cave and sign with us because no one would offer him more. Neither of those things seems to be the case anymore, the other good young ILB's have signed and Fletcher still hasn't signed. At some poing we need to move on. Even if we do get Larry Grant, he's still young and can be Fletcher's back up for a year or two. I think the signing of a Larry Grant does nothing to hurt negoatiations with London Fletcher, we have a need for two or 3 ILB's on this team, not just one need.

Quote:
Look, London is not a stupid guy. I think he knows he's not about to get anywhere near the contract he would get if he stayed with us. The problem is he wants one last payday, and we cannot amortize the cap hit over a long enough time frame that wouldn't cripple our cap.

I suppose we could offer him a five year deal that automatically voids after three years (it would only be five years for accounting purposes). Means dead cap in 2015 or 2016, but that may be the price we need to pay.
Yes, I know he knows that as well, but still it just doesn't make sense what's going on here. Both sides seem like good fits to one another, unless Fletcher really wants to go somewhere for less $ so he can have a chance at a superbowl. That doesn't appear to be the case, nor does it particularly appear to be an option because London hasn't signed with anyone else yet either.

Hopefully, they are close on something and will wrap it up after the draft. It just seems strange that we haven't re-signed him and he hasn't left yet. Something eventually has to happen here with this situation.

Signing/trading a 7th for Larry Grant, re-signing Fletcher and drafting a mid round ILB like we did in getting Riley would probably be the best thing for this organization for the present and future. I hope we can pull that off, it'd be nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: