Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers sign former Colts OL Jeff Saturday to 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.flash wrote:
Why can't his replacement be EDS?

I love the signing but I would have been just fine with EDS starting for us.

I like the Saturday sign. But in many ways I'm with ya. Have little doubt EDS can block every bit as well as Saturday at this point. Saturday's lean comes pre snap far more than post. Fact is, that is a huge part of Mac's spread and we have the guards to make his game functional.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Sandybaby716 wrote:
yeah, I don't get the "peak and not plateau" argument..we sign one guy and suddenly our future is compromised?

I for one think EDS could have played well this season. But I thought the same about Alleb Barbre at RT. Why put that kind of risk on a championship caliber team? Now we can draft someone, groom him along with EDS, and in two seasons (or maybe one if Saturday retires) we let them go at it for a battle. Right now I feel EDS is better suited at Guard than Center, he likely needs more time.

This is the kind of move that prevents our plateau from having ditches and chasms.

Wasn't EDS playing guard when he frustrated Mr. Suh? Wink

Exactly..his blocking is absolutely game worthy. in fact, I'm more than comfortable with his blocking at center too..but as Palmy said ^^ up there, it's the other responsibilities of a center that I simply wouldn't trust him with yet, because they take time to master.

Saturday should be a great teacher for him too.

palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel EDS best right now in that interior swing gig. A very solid game day "up" that can get you out of a game at all three inside(also played tackle in college).

I can see why some feel he is a better guard than center right now. His pre snap grades are not sound. That said, for him to excel as a long term starter, center is a much better position for him IMO. Thing just takes time. EDS never played center before he came to Green Bay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I feel EDS best right now in that interior swing gig. A very solid game day "up" that can get you out of a game at all three inside(also played tackle in college).

I can see why some feel he is a better guard than center right now. His pre snap grades are not sound. That said, for him to excel as a long term starter, center is a much better position for him IMO. Thing just takes time. EDS never played center before he came to Green Bay.

That's exactly how I feel about him too..but as of today, he's a little more guard than center.

I just don't think we could have brought in a better guy to teach him the pre-snap stuff. There's a lot of talk of Saturday becoming a coach after he retires, he could start now Laughing

palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope. The pre snap means more in Mac's spread than most fits. Time is now also. Guards are getting paid. Rare to have two good ones on the same team long term in today's NFL. Guy like EDS needs them also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's necessarily true re: peak/plateau, but I think signing a 36 year old means you are risking some future for the present.
Willink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2012/word-muth-scouting-colts

A further read on Saturday

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooooooooooo happy we got him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily true re: peak/plateau, but I think signing a 36 year old means you are risking some future for the present.

I don't see how. He was signed to a short, fairly cheap deal. If he were an older player signed to a huge deal, I'd agree with you, but this is a cheap veteran stopgap signing. I don't see the future risk here at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: