Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Now that we're into free agency, what do you guys see as the Chargers top 7 needs in order for the draft. Obviously BPA plays a big role, but there is usually a framework in mind:

QB,RB,FB,WR,TE,OT,OG,C,DE,DT,OLB,ILB,CB,FS,SS,K,P,RS

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
lakeroy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now, I think the biggest needs are(in order): SS, NT, OLB, OG, OT, RB, CB
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Needs Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Now that we're into free agency, what do you guys see as the Chargers top 7 needs in order for the draft. Obviously BPA plays a big role, but there is usually a framework in mind:

QB,RB,FB,WR,TE,OT,OG,C,DE,DT,OLB,ILB,CB,FS,SS,K,P,RS

As of right now we put ourselves into a position to pick BPA for the most part but we still need to get a guy at these positions...if I had to put it in order it'd look like this...

OLB, SS, OG, DL (FA isn't done for us here, we still have 2 guys to sign IMO), RB, RT, TE

We could see multiple guys at OLB or DL depending on how the situation works out.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think you would take Upshaw or Barron in rd 1?

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

Probably not and HELL NO. I don't even want him in the second.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

Barron is WAY too risky to pick in the first round, with the injuries, paired with some of the problems he's had in coverage.

As for Upshaw, i would say no. Simply for the fact that Upshaw doesn't bring Much, if anything more to the table than we already just got in Jarret Johnson. We aren't looking for that all around OLB piece anymore, we're looking for the best pass rusher. Perry's the only OLB i'd take in this draft.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Pepere Gustave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLB !!!!
We are already good there : Phillips, Barnes, johnson and english.
G and SS should be the 2 first round picks
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepere Gustave wrote:
OLB !!!!

So we add one very good SOLB and no good WOLB and we are good? Barnes is the only one who can beat LTs and he's a pure speed rusher. We are no where near good. Phillips should be traded.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Pepere Gustave wrote:
OLB !!!!

So we add one very good SOLB and no good WOLB and we are good? Barnes is the only one who can beat LTs and he's a pure speed rusher. We are no where near good. Phillips should be traded.

For what? A 5th or 6th round pick? Because that's what the value for an over-30, last year of his contract, never been "the guy" OLB is most likely to be, and Phillips is worth more to us than that.

OLB is still a pretty notable need, if for no other reason than both Phillips and Barnes are FA's in 2013 and Barnes is likely never to be a complete LB (hence Johnson being brought in). All Johnson's signing likely means is that we won't be in a rush to take a OLB who is expected to see a gaudy amount of snaps as a rookie - instead we can target guys with high ceilings but who obviously need time to develop into the position. That could still be Nick Perry, but it might not.

This is just a crappy year to need a SS - bad free agent class, terrible draft class. I'm actually don't address the position early because I see the difference in level of play being pretty negligible, but a high-pick investment likely means that the guy is going to be given more leash than his talents would normally deserve.

OL is, IMO, always a good choice early in the draft - however, AJ's yet to demonstrate he feels similarly. Never once selected a 1st round OL, only once spent a pick higher than a 3rd on an OL (McNeill in the mid 2nd)... mock creators should take note of this because it's more likely to stay the same than change. I'll be utterly, jaw-on-the-floor shocked if we take any OL prior to the 3rd round.

With two FA WR acquisitions, and a relatively high pick (3rd) invested in the position in last year's draft, I don't foresee WR as a 1st round eligible position (maybe if Michael Floyd is available, but I doubt it). 2nd round maybe, but not likely unless Joiner gets another Jones for a particular player and we'd usually have caught wind of something like that by now.

NT's a need unless we sign someone for depth, and one that could get addressed early (I'd personally prefer to just hold off till the 2nd where the value of more pro-ready guys is much better) even with Cam entering his 3rd year (where you typically expect to see players finally turn the corner) and hopeful for a notable spike in performance as reflected by last year when V-Mart was entering a corner-turning season and we still were willing to go 5-Tech early with Liuget. The only reason I don't see Poe in the 1st as a legitimate option is that I have to think AJ is going to feel as though he needs immediate impact out of any acquisitions he makes this offseason - and no 3-4 NT prospect eve does that at the actual 0-Tech position (only at 5-Tech while they're acclimating to the league).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong safety, outside linebacker, and nose tackle are top needs right now.

Running back, defensive end, offensive line are next tier of needs.

Then finally tightend, quarterback, and another inside linebacker are areas where the Chargers could use a developmental player.
The-Beast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason to trade Phillips as his value to the team even if for just one likely injured season is worth more to us than the return of a trade.

I disagree that AJ has never shown interest in using a high pick on OL. Duane Brown was the likely selection had there not been that tremendous run on OL that year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass rush OLB, SS, OG, NT, OT, TE, CB.

Maybe CB is higher... kind of difficult position to judge atm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
JRT2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @ Duke for asking this question, on that note, I'm curious about draft strategy.

Lets consider a "reach" 15 spots ahead of big board position for my mock, how likely is your FO to reach for a player and if so, at which of the positions of need you've listed?

Thanks
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRT2006 wrote:
Thanks @ Duke for asking this question, on that note, I'm curious about draft strategy.

Lets consider a "reach" 15 spots ahead of big board position for my mock, how likely is your FO to reach for a player and if so, at which of the positions of need you've listed?

Thanks

Not sure. I'd be fine with Andre Branch and his upside at 18 (and AJ did say PASS RUSHER when he was asked about OLB). And Branch can develop too. They may reach at OLB, but hopefully for a pass rusher with high upside.

I wouldn't reach for any SS, and I wouldn't take a RT.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRT2006 wrote:

Thanks

Our front office has no qualms with reaching for guys that they are high on.

I'd say the most likely areas we could see a reach at are OLB (in that they've effectively set us up to be able to draft with an emphasis on upside over polish at that position right now - so the player not being much more than a rotational passing-down package player as a rookie is acceptable), SS (right now Atari Bigby is penciled in as our starter - yeah, our FO has basically come out and said without outright saying it that they're going to be looking for a starting SS in this draft or via trade), and then there's always going to be one position (I couldn't tell you because it varies like the seasons for our team) that no one could/would be able to predict our FO would want to trade up to acquire.

I'd love to think they'd trade up for trench positions, but I don't. They simply seem to have that pony pointing bass-ackwards and still expecting it to compete running in reverse of the accepted norm.

I too would be completely fine with Branch at #18; I'd obviously prefer a trade back to the early/mid 20's to still pick him, but he's got the kind of upside, particularly if not asked to be a Week 1 starter, to justify a slight reach (I have him valued right around the late 20's to early 30's, so this would be roughly a 10-pick reach on him) - (I'm not comparing him to this player but comparing the situation) not unlike Clay Matthews was a few years back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: