Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers sign former Chargers RB Mike Tolbert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His agent Joel Turner said Tolbert wanted to join the Panthers so badly he "left over a million on the table" to come to Charlotte.

Read more here: http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/03/will-tolbert-signing-mean-end-of-double.html#storylink=cpy

Hometown discount

Thanks CK
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
His agent Joel Turner said Tolbert wanted to join the Panthers so badly he "left over a million on the table" to come to Charlotte.

Read more here: http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/03/will-tolbert-signing-mean-end-of-double.html#storylink=cpy

Hometown discount

Plus familiarity with Chud and Rivera. I'd also think playing with Cam has to be really exciting for offensive players.

I can't say I like this deal until I see the details and see what happens with our other backs. I like what we could potentially do with our packages and the fact that he plays special teams is a bigger reason for this signing than people realize.

Joe Person said on twitter that trading Stewart isn't expected to be traded.

We could have a log jam at running back, but with Chudzinski's creativity it could work. This offense just got a lot more versatile, I just don't know if I like the money we are paying the backs for the production.

Anyone know when DeAngelo's guaranteed money is done with? If it is soon he could be cut next year in favor of signing Stewart.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
Anyone know when DeAngelo's guaranteed money is done with? If it is soon he could be cut next year in favor of signing Stewart.
$16M signing bonus through 2015, of which we've accounted for $3.2M at this point. After this season, we'd still have to account for $9.6M, assuming there isn't any other bonus money required to be paid out on the cap. His cap hit next year is scheduled to be ~ $7.95M, so it'd be an extra hit of $1.6M and you wouldn't even get the benefit of him playing.

I kind of expect them to restructure next year, anyway. If not next year, then definitely the year after, as his cap hits are $8.95M and $9.95M in his last two years.

I'm expecting Williams to be around for at least another couple years. It doesn't make financial sense to trade/cut him until 2014 when the cap hit would be less for trading/cutting him than retaining him.

Contract details.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was a bit of a shock signing for me as we already have a loaded rb corps. But i can see the reasons now. I don't want cam as the goal line back anymore. Cam has the record now leave it at that and tolbert can take the punishment. plus he's a good pass catcher and versatility in Chud's offense is golden. Signing of the year? no but he will help and help on ST too

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Punisher1380

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we can use tolbert strickly as a FB, GL, or ST player then we will be perfectly fine. We HAVE to keep D wills and J Stew together because they will only benefit from each other being able to share carries and most importantly pro long their careers, and the addition of Tolbert could only help them so i like the signing but we have to keep both of them and just have Tolbert as a FULL TIME FB!
shaX 07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marty, we still need a Punter you know Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:

Oh darn I'm sure he forgot that smh

Thanks CK
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
I'll happily dust off my cleats. Heck, I'd even sign for vet minimum. Minimal signing bonus, too. Say, $250K?

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Peppers90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers have announced Tolbert will play FB.

PSN: bDoDDleS | Twitter @bDoDDleS
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
That's fine by me! But, why would Tolbert go for that? I just don't see how much sense this signing makes from the player's perspective. He's not going to get a ton of carries. Might get some receptions, but even then not a ton. Whatever, he's here. If he wants to lead block, I've got no reason to turn him down.

MrDrew wrote:
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:
That's fine by me! But, why would Tolbert go for that? I just don't see how much sense this signing makes from the player's perspective. He's not going to get a ton of carries. Might get some receptions, but even then not a ton. Whatever, he's here. If he wants to lead block, I've got no reason to turn him down.

Saw on twitter he anted to play in carolina, left a mill on the table. Maybe player coach connection.
Peppers90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

FB/H-Back can play longer, and have less of a 'drop off' in production. Tony Richardson was a big bruiser and he moved to FB and became one of the best in the league and played until he was 39 As a RB he wouldn't have played that long. Terrell McClain is another example of a 'big RB' moving to FB with some success.

Plus, it gives the Cam and Chud another weapon on the field with the probable loss of Shockey. So I look to see more 2 back sets, instead of the 2 TE sets of last year.

Last edited by Peppers90 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somehow he'll be our larger "Darren Sproles" type back?
Peppers90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaRoar wrote:
Maybe somehow he'll be our larger "Darren Sproles" type back?

Laughing Laughing

If he sheds 50 lbs.

CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers90 wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Peppers90 wrote:

FB/H-Back can play longer, and have less of a 'drop off' in production. Tony Richardson was a big bruiser and he moved to FB and became one of the best in the league and played until he was 39 As a RB he wouldn't have played that long. Terrell McClain is another example of a 'big RB' moving to FB with some success.

Plus, it gives the Cam and Chud another weapon on the field with the probable loss of Shockey. So I look to see more 2 back sets, instead of the 2 TE sets of last year.

Shockeys replacement... While we ease Barniages role..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: