Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Viking in-house FA Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Viking in-house FA Watch Reply with quote

do we have a thread yet about our own free agents?

if not, we can start with this:

Thereís optimism that the Vikings will keep LB Erin Henderson, reports 1500ESPNís Tom Pelissero, possibly under a two- or three-year deal.

Hereís what Iíve gathered on the Henderson front.

*There has been no formal offer made to Henderson.

*Talks have been encouraging enough that it would take a team swooping in with a substantial deal to pry him away from Minnesota.

*Though no deal is expected this week, something easily could get done in the hours before free agency starts.

Thereís mutual interest between the Vikings and QB Sage Rosenfels to agree to an extension. Rosenfels could fill the third-string/mentor role to Christian Ponder. When I spoke to Rosenfels toward the end of last season, he was encouraged about a return.

S Husain Abdullahís concussion history could be a hang-up in a potential re-sign, but from what I hear, it wouldnít be difficult to get a deal done. Heís not demanding big money, and he wants to be a Viking.

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2012/03/07/erin-henderson-a-priority-among-in-house-free-agents/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah, for all his flaws, appears to be one of our better options at safety, at least for the immediate future. Him and Raymond starting would be nice, unless we can get a better guy in FA or through the draft.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Erin, Sage and Husain will all be back. Sage and Husain should be cheap and are good backups. Erin will be a little more expensive but I don't think it will be a big contract. Probably 3 years at an average starting OLB salary.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Abdullah, for all his flaws, appears to be one of our better options at safety, at least for the immediate future. Him and Raymond starting would be nice, unless we can get a better guy in FA or through the draft.

Even if we were to keep Abdullah, I would want to draft a safety, concussion issues like that are obviously a big concern, so getting someone in the top 3-4 rounds is quite important still as Raymond and Jamarca doesn't sound all that good.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Viking in-house FA Watch Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
S Husain Abdullah - Heís not demanding big money, and he wants to be a Viking.

i have to conjecture part of his satisfaction with the Vikings has to do with their sensitivity and personal care of him during his Ramadan fasts in summer workouts.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Even if we were to keep Abdullah, I would want to draft a safety, concussion issues like that are obviously a big concern, so getting someone in the top 3-4 rounds is quite important still as Raymond and Jamarca doesn't sound all that good.

Obviously, but a draftee isn't going to start day 1, so your still looking at Abdullah and Raymond in the near future, or they'd have to sign a FA to start day 1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in bringing back Guion, Aromashodu, Erin, Abdullah and Rosenfels.

Guion and Erin could attract the most interest so hopefully they can get those two lockd up before the start of free agency.

As for Aromashodu, Rosenfels and Abdullah, there will likely be little to no interest for the first couple weeks of free agency, there is no urgency with them.

I think it would be foolish if this team let Guion and Erin go, they need to get those two locked up. Guion still has potential to grow into the starter we want him to be, he is still such a young player. At worst he is a good depth player.
solidvikingfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings opted not to tender Kenny Onatolu at the restricted level but are looking at possibly bringing him back on a lesser price tag.

https://twitter.com/#/VikingsNow/statuses/179294805422129152

I can't say I have strong feelings either way on it if they get that done.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solidvikingfan wrote:
The Vikings opted not to tender Kenny Onatolu at the restricted level but are looking at possibly bringing him back on a lesser price tag.

Onatolu is expendable in my opinion.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully there are some more exciting names in here come this time tomorrow.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
solidvikingfan wrote:

I'd rather see someone signed here that can atleast play some defense, and not just special teams.

The only reason Onatalu started a game this season is because Henderson was down, and in that game he was completely non existant if I remember correctly.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
solidvikingfan wrote:

Larry Dean did pretty good on ST this year, tho I recall him missing a tackle once on a punt return.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Viking in-house FA Watch Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
S Husain Abdullah - Heís not demanding big money, and he wants to be a Viking.

i have to conjecture part of his satisfaction with the Vikings has to do with their sensitivity and personal care of him during his Ramadan fasts in summer workouts.

Other teams that might value him similarly would go beyond simply legal compliance regarding religious choice, as the Vikings have done. But I doubt many teams are looking at him as a great starter. Other teams also have players they value and are paying while they are rehabbing so as to protect their investment and get them back on the field in the future; e.g. AP, AW. So, the Vikings are doing what other teams do for players who they hope to contribute in the future.

Since he is a vet, his summer Ramadan workouts could be reduced with little loss to his development.

Abdullah's familiarity with the TampIndyMinny C2 scheme is another reason, beyond his performance, for both sides to agree to agree (sic). Why let him go for someone of equal potential who would need to learn the TIM C2? He could develop in 2012 and play better than before.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we start our sayonara to the end of your NFL career chant to Tyrell Johnson? With all the free agents that are available, I highly doubt anyone will consider signing him. I hope he has a backup plan in place.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
skywindO2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Abdullah hasn't been resigned to keep #39 open to help lure Carr?

Resigning Henderson seems like a must do deal to me, but I'm worried they'll end up paying him too much.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: