Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Help with a paper....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slackerboyjonny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Help with a paper.... Reply with quote

Hey Bengal fans. I'm from Minnesota, and currently in college right now. I am writing a paper concerning the stadium issues surrounding the Vikings and Twins, and perhaps even the Gophers football team. I think I remember that Cincinnati had built 2 stadiums before, so it would be a good way for me to do some comparisons. Anyways, could anyone give me the names of the stadiums, and maybe what you think they have done to help out the community as football fans? thanks a bunch!
skopi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

football = Paul Brown Stadium
baseball = Great American Ballpark (named after Great American Insurance which is owned by Carl Lindner who also is the managing partner of the Reds)

Hamilton County residents voted for a half percent increase in sales taxes to pay for both stadiums. Afterwards, Hamilton County decided to sue the Bengals and the NFL for using its monopoly to pressure the purchase of the stadium. Basically, the Bengals were wooed by Baltimore but the Bengals settled for a deal here while the Browns ended up taking the Baltimore deal. Here is the most recent article on the lawsuit:
http://www.cincypost.com/2005/02/09/bengals020905.html
(you could find more about it on cincinnati.com or cincinnatibengals.com)

Benefits?

Er....

They have played a few other games at PBS including high school championship games and Ohio State at U of Cincy. I think Billy Graham has been there a couple times and there may have been a us women's soccer exhibition game. Also, the two NFL night games gave national exposure to the city.

The idea behind the location for the stadiums was to revitalize the downtown as more people are leaving to the suburbs. Not sure if it has accomplished that.

However, it is also tough to quantify what it means to have 2 teams in major sports. Without one or both, I doubt you would hear much about the city of Cincinnati. Also complicating the economic impact was a racial riot downtown (some black men have been killed by police (many of which were trying to escape capture or fighting back) and there was an organized group trying to stop conventions or entertainers from coming to the city.

I think those are the major points about the situation. I live in an adjacent county and would have voted for the tax increase then and still would vote for it now because I think you cannot buy the publicity that a sports team provides.

sko
Cantstop85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: