Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Rumblings/Resigns/Tags
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Free Agency Rumblings/Resigns/Tags Reply with quote

With the franchise tag usable now, and teams either resigning or restructuring their own guys, I thought we could use a thread to put all the league news in.

For starters, this just broke....

Per league source, Packers agree to terms on two-year contract with TE Jermichael Finley. Details coming at PFT

Last edited by JohnnyV on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a couple quick notes from a fairly busy Wednesday...

-Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Chad Henne will NOT be back in Miami.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-22/miami-dolphins-won-t-re-sign-quarterback-chad-henne-sun-sentinel-reports.html

-Bills CB Terrence McGee has restructured his deal to have with cap room in Buffalo.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/CB-McGee-restructures-deal-with-Buffalo-Bills-26703664

-Falcon's DE John Abraham seems headed for free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8271fdb7/article/agent-talks-point-to-falcons-abraham-becoming-free-agent?module=HP11_headline_stack

It will be interesting to see if Buffalo is trying to save some money to bring back Bell.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLB wise, it sounds like Anthony Spencer's getting the tag and Ahamad Brooks is gonna walk.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
OLB wise, it sounds like Anthony Spencer's getting the tag and Ahamad Brooks is gonna walk.

We probably weren't in the market for Spencer given his expected price tag and the weak market for 3-4 OLB.

Now Brooks on the other hand is interesting. Still only 27 and had a career high 7 sacks last season in his only year as a starter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor is now that the Packers have locked up Finnely, they can freely use their franchise tag on free agent QB Matt Flynn in hopes of bringing in some extra picks.

If that would go down, I wonder what he'd fetch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Rumor is now that the Packers have locked up Finnely, they can freely use their franchise tag on free agent QB Matt Flynn in hopes of bringing in some extra picks.

If that would go down, I wonder what he'd fetch.

At least what Cassell fetched I would guess.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Curtis Lofton of Atlanta will be hitting the open market. I don't know if we want to go back down the 4-3 LB route but Lofton can play that SILB role for us IMHO. He's very good. No injuries concerns, the way Bradley had. He'll cost though...
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also hearing Cowboy ILBs Bradie James and Keith Brooking will more than likely not return.

James can still play in the right system somewhere, maybe in a Paris Lenon type role.

Brooking, at age 36, is probably done. My top memory of Brooking was him getting burnt by Stephen Spach on 3rd and long back in '08. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Also hearing Cowboy ILBs Bradie James and Keith Brooking will more than likely not return.

James can still play in the right system somewhere, maybe in a Paris Lenon type role.

Brooking, at age 36, is probably done. My top memory of Brooking was him getting burnt by Stephen Spach on 3rd and long back in '08. Very Happy

Yup, Kurt pumped and Brookings bit, Good times.

Sounds like Marcus McNeill is a lock to be released. Still not sure on him but he's gonna be out there.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, got a lot of new info from Whiz and Graves at the combine...

Bob Glauber @BobGlauber

Ken Whisenhunt on a theoretical question re: unnamed FA QB (named Peyton): "We’re always looking for opportunities with players."

Bob Glauber @BobGlauber

Whisenhunt says Cardinals pleased with players, but says they're always looking to get better. P. Manning will likely be in play if released

Darren Urban @Cardschatter

Whisenhunt said Kolb remains No. 1 on QB depth chart but there will be competition.

Campbell contract discussions have been "fruitful" and ongoing, Graves said. "I believe we will have a resolution at some point.

Graves said talks with T Levi Brown are ongoing to get a restructured deal in place and that Cards want to keep him long term.

Kent Somers @kentsomers

Graves also says resigning R Marshall is a priority

EDIT and just ADDED

Graves said Kolb is expected back. But in terms of QB, "we'll see what every day brings forward."

To recap...

-Peyton Manning will be in play if and when he's released. We will be involved.

-Expect Levi Brown back.

-Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel coming with Calais.

-They clearly are making it a priority to have Richard Marshall return.

For the most part, all good news. Vague but good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent Somers @kentsomers

Graves said L. Brown wants to return to Arizona. optimistic a new deal is done.

There's our LT folks. Get use to it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Sounds like Marcus McNeill is a lock to be released. Still not sure on him but he's gonna be out there.

Is McNeill more of a pass blocker rather than run grader? I assume so in that Air Coryell offense... Anyway yeah i'd give him a shot if he's healthy, even though Levi will probably be back he could still move back to RT.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

Is McNeill more of a pass blocker rather than run grader? I assume so in that Air Coryell offense... Anyway yeah i'd give him a shot if he's healthy, even though Levi will probably be back he could still move back to RT.

When he was healthy, he was very much a balanced LT. Now though he's a shell of his former self, so what he is isn't exactly clear.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Kent Somers @kentsomers

Graves said L. Brown wants to return to Arizona. optimistic a new deal is done.

There's our LT folks. Get use to it.

I honestly like the move as long as it's not top LT money. Say 5-6 million a year like Colledge got. It's not like there are better options in FA. Plus, if we do draft a better LT or find one in a year or two, Brown can simply move over to RT without being considered over-payed.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case it wasn't clear before hand, Jeff Fisher has come out and said the team with NOT look to trade QB Sam Bradford no matter who's there at pick #2.

He also went on to say they will look at all options, even trading down.

Pretty expected on both fronts. Bradford has been hampered by terrible weapons and shaky olinemen.

Gotta think they'll be active in free agency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: