Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ESPN NFC South blog: Winslow on the hot seat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bucsEST96


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2215
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: ESPN NFC South blog: Winslow on the hot seat? Reply with quote

Quote:
But they could instantly free up another $4.8 million in cap space by releasing Winslow. That $4.8 million figure is what Winslow’s cap figure is slated to be in 2012 and the Bucs wouldn’t suffer any cap hit if they got rid of Winslow. That’s because the contract Winslow signed after the Bucs traded for him in 2009 was structured in a unique way.


http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/31450/kellen-winslow-on-the-hot-seat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 27399
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could find a decent replacement I'd be all for cutting him. Otherwise, I think he has to stay.
_________________
Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David Tackles | Sacks | INTs | FFs | FRs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChaoticBuc3125


Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Posts: 1713
Location: From Boston, MA ... Hate Pats and rest of NFCS GO Bucs!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they would be stupid to cut him at 3 million salary.

This team has enough needs and Winslow is a hard-working and still a great player.. If anything maybe they add a player like MBennett(DAL) to push Stocker and Winslow
_________________
R.I.P LeeRoySelmon, R.I.P Deacon Jones, R.I.P Pat Summerall

Congrads to 55 on HOF! To Revis FU! & MG#8 & his mob must go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RoeKG


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4204
Location: PA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically we shouldn't cut him because it would be a pain to replace him, but I wouldn't be overly upset if we did it.

It's not like we need the cap space. Same deal with Talib, I hope we keep him because we don't need another hole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ravishingone


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 2716
Location: Leola
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winslow's blocking is not very good, if Coach Schiano wants a power running team, then Winslow at the very least will have a different role. He definitely won't be the every down TE that Olson had in his offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7474
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this happens. People aren't giving Stocker a chance. He wasn't great last year, but wasn't horrible. He suffered through injuries during his rookie season and didn't have an NFL off-season to get in NFL shape, in my opinion, as with all the rookies.

I think Stocker is going to be a solid and well rounded TE in this league. Good blocker and solid pass catcher.

Winslow is a headache and it seems that Schiano is willing to get rid of the locker room headaches. Who cares if it has nothing to do with salary. The man is thinking chemistry and lack of distractions. Getting rid of Haynesworth was move #1. Winslow and Talib could be next. And I';m thrilled about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RB4TampaBay


Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 378
Location: Seminole, FL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
I hope this happens. People aren't giving Stocker a chance. He wasn't great last year, but wasn't horrible. He suffered through injuries during his rookie season and didn't have an NFL off-season to get in NFL shape, in my opinion, as with all the rookies.

I think Stocker is going to be a solid and well rounded TE in this league. Good blocker and solid pass catcher.

Winslow is a headache and it seems that Schiano is willing to get rid of the locker room headaches. Who cares if it has nothing to do with salary. The man is thinking chemistry and lack of distractions. Getting rid of Haynesworth was move #1. Winslow and Talib could be next. And I';m thrilled about it.


I agree, I think that his value has greatly decreased. I'm not sue that the new coach will allow him to regularly miss practice due to his bad knees, this is the NFL, not a retirement community. In addition, I think that Collin Franklin from the practice squad has earned a chance to show what he can do (you know, things like being able to block).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dbtb135


Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 3834
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking the other day "You know what this team needs, another position where we're one-deep with no confidence at all." And BAM! This comes up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13611
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't been effective in quite a while, and seems to be a headache. That being said, Stocker may have 'potential', but so did Alex Smith. I have seen nothing from Stocker yet, so might as well keep Winslow unless he becomes a real problem. If so, cut him then.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7474
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
He hasn't been effective in quite a while, and seems to be a headache. That being said, Stocker may have 'potential', but so did Alex Smith. I have seen nothing from Stocker yet, so might as well keep Winslow unless he becomes a real problem. If so, cut him then.


We have an overpaid, overrated, and locker room headache at TE. We don't need a premeire player at the position. It's not like Winslow is a top TE. He thinks he's a "Soldier" , which is why we need to rid ourselves from him.

yeah i went there with the soldier comment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13611
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
He hasn't been effective in quite a while, and seems to be a headache. That being said, Stocker may have 'potential', but so did Alex Smith. I have seen nothing from Stocker yet, so might as well keep Winslow unless he becomes a real problem. If so, cut him then.


We have an overpaid, overrated, and locker room headache at TE. We don't need a premeire player at the position. It's not like Winslow is a top TE. He thinks he's a "Soldier" , which is why we need to rid ourselves from him.

yeah i went there with the soldier comment.


Dude I'm not advocating keeping him forever and all that. I already said he seems to be a headache, but overpaid? He's not making too much, and we have zero guys behind him that have shown they can play. Great, Stocker has potential, he looked pretty average when he played last year. Let's at least see what he can do with a full training camp and offseason while we work him into the offense along with Winslow?

Of course, as I said in my original post, if Winslow becomes a real problem in the upcoming months, then cut him!

EDIT: Also, why do you say we don't need a premier player at the position? Freeman actually looks for his tight ends quite often. I know Schiano wants to run a vertical offense, but who cares every single new coach says that. He says he wants to run an explosive, vertical offense that can pound the ball with the run game and beat you with big plays. Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure that's just coach code for WE'RE GONNA BE AWESOME AT EVERYTHING!! I don't think tight end can be overlooked, not as long as Freeman is our quarterback.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dbtb135


Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 3834
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
He hasn't been effective in quite a while, and seems to be a headache. That being said, Stocker may have 'potential', but so did Alex Smith. I have seen nothing from Stocker yet, so might as well keep Winslow unless he becomes a real problem. If so, cut him then.


We have an overpaid, overrated, and locker room headache at TE. We don't need a premeire player at the position. It's not like Winslow is a top TE. He thinks he's a "Soldier" , which is why we need to rid ourselves from him.

yeah i went there with the soldier comment.


Dude I'm not advocating keeping him forever and all that. I already said he seems to be a headache, but overpaid? He's not making too much, and we have zero guys behind him that have shown they can play. Great, Stocker has potential, he looked pretty average when he played last year. Let's at least see what he can do with a full training camp and offseason while we work him into the offense along with Winslow?

Of course, as I said in my original post, if Winslow becomes a real problem in the upcoming months, then cut him!


You can make a case to cut him, as well as Black and Trueblood and Faine and half our DBs. We'll have like 10 players left on the roster. He was still 7th in receptions and 13th in yards for TEs. That's WAY less frustrating than retaining Michael Clayton with a worse attitude and no production, getting RE-SIGNED. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13611
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:

You can make a case to cut him, as well as Black and Trueblood and Faine and half our DBs. We'll have like 10 players left on the roster. He was still 7th in receptions and 13th in yards for TEs. That's WAY less frustrating than retaining Michael Clayton with a worse attitude and no production, getting RE-SIGNED. Rolling Eyes


Exactly. Winslow may not be the real threat he once was, but he's the best tight end we have and not so bad. I think the Clayton thing was just a pride thing with the front office, but man was he bad. Scary bad.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deuces22wild


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 8691
Location: El ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't justify cutting Winslow at that salary. If we draft a top tier te in the draft then maybe, we need a weapon at that position. I don't want the keys handed to Stocker though. No way with Winlows practice schedule does he stick around long if he doesn't change his attitude.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lil' Shorty


Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 3167
Location: NC...surrounded by lame Panther fans.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem pretty crazy if we got a number of top tear FAs due to guaranteed money needed to sign them but...

If we signed Finley to say $7 million per year and then cut Winslow it would only add another $2.2 million to our cap. It would be like we sign Finley for $2.2 million. If we did do something like this then we would have to take $4.8 million off the money the TE gets this year and thats what it would count for against our cap cuz Winslow wouldnt be staying around. Thats a pretty good deal if you ask me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group