Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Barry Sanders vs. Adrian Peterson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Running Back Do You Want?
Barry Sanders
88%
 88%  [ 103 ]
Adrian Peterson
11%
 11%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 117

YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Sanders by far.

I might take a couple over Sanders but Peterson would not be one.
BassistofDoom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
Barry Sanders by far. The greatest RB the league has seen.

That's a funny way to spell Jim Brown

Jim Brown wasn't the greatest - really he was just the first featured RB in an era dominated by RBBC and much lesser competition. Not saying he wasn't a great RB. I generally rank him #2 or #3 depending on how much I am weighting the era in which one played and surrounding talent. The top 3 being Sanders, Payton, and Brown.

I think Jim Brown vs Adrian Peterson would be better because both are known for their power but they still possess deceptive speed and are similar in their playing styles in my mind. It would also spark the question of how good AP is compared to all time backs in probably a better way as well as bringing up the "Is Jim Brown overrated?" debate.
Braylon4MVP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those saying Sanders wins in a landslide are crazy. Peterson will be an all-time great when he is done.

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon4MVP wrote:
Those saying Sanders wins in a landslide are crazy. Peterson will be an all-time great when he is done.

I don't know about that now. He is a tall RB with a torn ACL. I think it is going to be harder to come back from that than people think. I would love for him to prove me wrong since I like watching the guy play; but even if he does he still has a long way to go to becoming an all time great. He isn't even halfway to Smith, Payton, Sanders, or LT and barely halfway to Dickerson's totals. That is a big mountain to climb coming back from a shredded knee.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon4MVP wrote:
He absolutely would have had he not torn his ACL right at the end of a season in which he ran for less than 1,000 yards. Peterson won't be the same until 2013, and by then he'll be 28 years old with at best 8,000 career yards.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:
He absolutely would have had he not torn his ACL right at the end of a season in which he ran for less than 1,000 yards. Peterson won't be the same until 2013, and by then he'll be 28 years old with at best 8,000 career yards.

... Which came with four missed games and two early exits. Peterson was on pace for 1,500+ yards if he were to play all sixteen (full) games.

Edit: I know what you're getting at, I just wanted to clear up that the sub-1,000 yard rushing mark certainly didn't come from lack of production. A lot of people tend to think it was, however. One poster recently claimed that he was only slightly better than Chris Johnson this year (based on the yardage totals).

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
seminoles1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

... Which came with four missed games and two early exits. Peterson was on pace for 1,500+ yards if he were to play all sixteen (full) games.

Edit: I know what you're getting at, I just wanted to clear up that the sub-1,000 yard rushing mark certainly didn't come from lack of production. A lot of people tend to think it was, however. One poster recently claimed that he was only slightly better than Chris Johnson this year (based on the yardage totals).
Well that's just stupid. He averaged 4.7 YPC and ran for 12 TDs and was clearly the better RB than CJ this year and a top 5 RB when he played. But in the grand scheme of things, that 970 is going to stick out like a sore thumb and he doesn't have a legendary season to counter it with.

fortdetroit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

but, unfortunately, he didn't get 1500 yards. and unfortunately injuries are a true reality in a violent game like football. all the more reason barry sanders only having under 1300 yards once in his 10 year career is even more impressive than at first glance.

I saw someone earlier compare barry's first 5 years to AP's first 5 years and the stats were pretty similar. But Barry's 3 best seasons (yardwise) came after that and in the latter 5 years of his career - which is not the typical trend for RBs. Barry's first 5 seasons he averaged 1358 yards, in his latter 5 seasons he averaged 1696 yards...running for 2000 yards at age 29. That's why Barry is constantly in the convo as best of all time and someone like AP likely will not be.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Average season in 1st 5 years of career
-Average season in 2nd 5 years of career

Emmitt Smith:
-1437 yards, 4.4
-1356 yards, 4.3

Ladanian Tomlinson:
-1472 yards, 4.3
-1209 yards, 4.3

Jerome Bettis:
-1237 yards, 4.1
-1071 yards, 3.9

Walter Payton:
-1385 yards, 4.5
-1277 yards, 4.3

Barry Sanders:
-1358 yards, 4.7
-1696 yards, 5.2
^^^CRAZY^^^

Adrian Peterson:
-1350 yards, 4.8
-??????????

Based on the history of some random running backs I chose, people trying to form a comparison between the two players are likely comparing Adrian Peterson's peak years to Barry Sanders' years before he reached his peak. It's not a fair comparison. It's certainly possible AP becomes better as he gets older but unlikely given the injury and his playing style where he takes a lot of abuse/hits, unlike Barry Sanders.
C0LTSFAN4L1F3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Brown>Walter Payton>Barry Sanders>Emmit Smith

Adrian Peterson fits somewhere in there when its all said and done
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw Payton or Brown play, so I can say that Barry Sanders is the best RB I have ever seen play. AP is great but he just cant do what Barry did. People often forget that when AP came into the leauge he had a pretty damn good line also that was when Hutch and McKinnie were in their primes. Who blocked for Barry?

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:
Jim Brown>Walter Payton>Barry Sanders>Emmit Smith

Adrian Peterson fits somewhere in there when its all said and done

He's not going to be a better RB that LT or Faulk.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
I never saw Payton or Brown play, so I can say that Barry Sanders is the best RB I have ever seen play. AP is great but he just cant do what Barry did. People often forget that when AP came into the leauge he had a pretty damn good line also that was when Hutch and McKinnie were in their primes. Who blocked for Barry?

Why do people think Sanders played with little talent. The lions had some great offensive talent in the 90s. Lomas Brown was an elite tackle. First team all pro in 91, 92 an 95 and 2nd team all pro in 89, 90, and 94. Dont act like Sanders got little support beacuse he did. Herman Moore and Brett Periman were pretty good WRs too. They never had anything worth a darn at QB (minus Mitchell in 95 who was great), but netiher did Peterson (minus 09).

Peterson and Sanders are even for the first five years, lets se e if Peterson can take the next step.
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Why do people think Sanders played with little talent. The lions had some great offensive talent in the 90s. Lomas Brown was an elite tackle. First team all pro in 91, 92 an 95 and 2nd team all pro in 89, 90, and 94. Dont act like Sanders got little support beacuse he did. Herman Moore and Brett Periman were pretty good WRs too. They never had anything worth a darn at QB (minus Mitchell in 95 who was great), but netiher did Peterson (minus 09).

Peterson and Sanders are even for the first five years, lets se e if Peterson can take the next step.

He didn't play with much talent. Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover are usually what people use to debunk the statement that Barry had good linemen (despite tons of video evidence to the contrary). Both Brown and Glover were drafted in 1985 - here are the rushing ranks of the Lions 1985-1988 - out of 28 teams.

1985: Att:18 Yards:26 RushTDs:20 YPC:28
1986: Att:16 Yards:15 RushTDs:16 YPC:19
1987: Att:25 Yards:25 RushTDs:23 YPC:24
1988: Att:26 Yards:27 RushTDs:28 YPC:28

The 4 years of the Lions with Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover (without Barry) the didn't have a single rushing stat in the top 1/2 of the league and were dead last in several stats multiple years. The year prior to Barry arriving the perennial all pro/pro bowl lineman were able to bulldoze the way for their RBs to be last in the league in YPC, last in the league in rushing TDs, and second to last in yards. Take the literal worst rushing team in the league (and one of the worst offenses in history) and add Barry Sanders and here are the results.

1989: Att:20 Yards:8 RushTDs:1 YPC:1

Barry takes the Lions from worst to first in TDs and YPC. He leads them to a top 10 finish in yards despite still only ranking 20th in carries. No one, not Payton, Brown, LT, Smith, Faulk, Simpson, Dorsett etc. etc. have had such a dramatic effect on a team. That wasn't because Brown and Glover all of a sudden learned how to block - it was because you put the GOAT RB in the backfield.

On top of that, after Lomas Brown was let go, Barry had a 1500 yard season at 5.1 YPC and then a 2000 yard season at 6.1 YPC. If Brown really was this elite left tackle you would expect to see some drop off but there wasn't any.

Just watch the videos and see how often Barry starts left (to supposedly this great tackle) and has to cut back because it looks like Brown is pass blocking because his assignment is 1-2 yards in the backfield already. I am not saying Brown was a bad player - but he wasn't some dominant force at the LT position. He made some good plays and blocks but he wasn't blowing open huge holes for Sanders regularly.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
That's not going to happen. How many good RBs do you know that came back better after rehabbing a torn ACL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: