Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Norv Talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Norv Talk Reply with quote

While the general feeling most people get is Norv is terrible and such, I feel the gameplan they came with for the Ravens game was fantastic. Getting some trick plays in, making sure to help Clary with McMichaels chipping on Suggs, and really tearing apart a VERY good defense was great. We did not have a single punt in the game and did very well with our drives going TD, FG, TD, TD, TD, missed FG, FG..... crazy good when you look at who we were playing.

Acee gets the feeling that if the team wins next week at Detroit and we go to Oakland with a chance at the playoffs that Norv and co might not be shown the door. What is everyone's thoughts on that?

Now I've never been a huge Norv hater, while yes I'd like to see him fire up the team abit more and at times I seriously question his play calls and time management but I think we could do ALOT worse than him. When he is on and the players dont make stupid mistakes the team looks unstoppable. Now I think he has underachieved alittle while here but our players have played a large part of that too. I'd be willing to give Norv 1 more shot assuming the team looks motivated these last 2 games and doesnt lay an egg like last season when they played the Bungles.

The people who I think really need replaced would be the str/conditioning coach and Manustinky who is nothing like what I thought he'd be. Cut down on the injuries, bring in a defensive coordinator who can bring the pain, and 1-2 studs on D including a solid draft and a full offseason then go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norv can create a good gameplan if every single person is healthy, a main problem is he has issues adjusting to the players we have. He should only be kept if we make it to at least the AFC Championship game, wouldn't surprise me if he's kept though since Spanos is a coward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand, the past 3 weeks the Chargers have looked as good as ever. The players are fighting for Norv and he is showing that he isn't completely clueless, and can actually dominate one of the best teams in the league. Maybe it is just Manusky, the bad luck with injuries and fluke plays, and guys like Rivers having off years to blame.

On the other hand, this team should be playing at this level for more than just December. The right coach would be able to get this team playing at a high level for 10+ games a year instead of the 3-5 Norv got out of them.
Stone85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
On the other hand, this team should be playing at this level for more than just December. The right coach would be able to get this team playing at a high level for 10+ games a year instead of the 3-5 Norv got out of them.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think replacing Manusky is the biggest priority, but I would not be happy with another year of Norv. The way we lose some of these games year in and year out has to fall to the head coach. We need to shake up this franchise a little, I think our "slow starter" reputation has gotten in some of our players/coaches heads.
kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we're rocking, we ROCK....

When Norv gets his gameplan right and is not focused on one particular aspect of the game, and the defense doesn't crap all over the field, he looks like a genius...

Problem is, that there's little stability with this team... it's always ups and downs.

Manusky was a BIG part of our loosing streak, and I still think this D is the bigggest issue going forward... because we won't always be able to build comfortable leads on offense... there will be tight games, and our D can't handle tight games.

I think that it all depends on the rest of the season.
If we win out, make the playoffs and perform respectably... Norv should be given another chance with a new D coordinator.

If we don't win out, or if we go into the playoffs and get trashed, then it's all over.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, it would "speak volumes" to owner Dean Spanos about Norv Turner's ability to lead the Chargers if the team remains alive for the playoffs going into the Jan. 1 season finale.
Sources tell the Union-Trib that Spanos was "very much" influenced by the fans' positive reaction in Week 15. Spanos reportedly still considers GM A.J. Smith the "ideal front man," and Smith believes in Turner "now as much as he did when he went out on a limb and hired him in 2007." Should Spanos reverse course, Smith would reportedly be at the top of Rams owner Stan Kroenke's front-office list in a 2012 house-cleaning while ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher "would like to align with Smith."

Make the playoffs and keep Norv, or start the offseason early and see him off?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, it would "speak volumes" to owner Dean Spanos about Norv Turner's ability to lead the Chargers if the team remains alive for the playoffs going into the Jan. 1 season finale.
Sources tell the Union-Trib that Spanos was "very much" influenced by the fans' positive reaction in Week 15. Spanos reportedly still considers GM A.J. Smith the "ideal front man," and Smith believes in Turner "now as much as he did when he went out on a limb and hired him in 2007." Should Spanos reverse course, Smith would reportedly be at the top of Rams owner Stan Kroenke's front-office list in a 2012 house-cleaning while ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher "would like to align with Smith."

Anything short of an AFC crown shouldn't save Norv's job in my mind. We show sparks of brilliance but he has yet to tap into this team's potential and I am sick of wallowing in mediocrity. Bring in Fisher!

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:

At this point I would be ecstatic if we made the playoffs even if that means Norv gets a reprieve. Apart from Bill Cowher there isn't a realistic head coaching candidate that excites me right now.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing...

Rotoworld wrote:
An NFL source tells the Miami Herald that Philip Rivers is "lobbying" for the Chargers to keep head coach Norv Turner.
It's hardly surprising that Rivers is going to bat for a coach he's experienced great personal success with, but it would be a miracle if Turner was retained following yet another disappointing season in San Diego. If he is, it sounds like Turner would have his quarterback to thank.

Very Disappointing....

Rotoworld wrote:
A "source close to the organization" believes the Chargers will retain head coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith.
If true, it would make for Turner's greatest escape yet, as reports out of San Diego have had Turner's firing as a formality for over a month. An "NFL source" reported earlier in the day that Philip Rivers was "lobbying" for the Bolts to keep Turner, and it's possible he's swayed owner Dean Spanos. The fact that Turner was allowed to conduct his normal press conference Monday could be a sign that his fate is indeed still up in the air. An official resolution to the situation should come within the next 24 hours.

Somebody needs to fire the family

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say fire the family, someone needs to teach the family perspective. Going 4-1 is nice, but when you play the hapless bills, the insignificant Jaguars, and an Oakland team that has the only QB turning the ball over at a higher rate than your QB. They're called easy wins.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further put things in perspective, with the Colts going 2-14 this season, there are now only 4 teams that haven't finished below .500 dating back to 2003: New England, Pittsburgh, the Giants, and us. Every other one of those teams, including the Colts, have won a championship over that span (one of them 2)... we're the only one that hasn't.

One thing I will say that I don't know if anyone, even the media, is considering is that this is a team on the precipice of major turnover on the one side of the ball that's been our most consistent and our calling card of late. With guys like Dielman and Hardwick (and McNeill) questioning retirement, but potentially being able to be lured back by the hopes of winning a championship - from the player's perspective they see themselves more likely to and more willing to do it under the same guy they've been following for the past 6 seasons versus the unknown. If having to endure another year of Norv buys us the opportunity to keep Hardwick and KD on the roster long enough for us to at least get comparable successors on the depth chart behind them, there may be at least a silver lining.

Then again, Acee's convinced that Hal Hunter and John Sullivan are top notch OL coaches, whereas I can find visible holes in the technique (backed by the tape) of nearly every O-Lineman that he wants to sing their praise for... plus we have the ultimate trump card to that argument... the revolving door that is Jeromey Clary and his perennially gifted starter's role.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivers I love you and all but stfu man!!

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
kramxel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Norv, even though I wouldn't agree, may have it's reasons....

But there's absolutely no reason to keep Mannusky!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Turner-Smith-to-return/847b37ec-c22d-41de-a99a-2ccf24641885

Don't agree with this at all. The staff is not getting the best out of the players, and not bringing in the amount of talent needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: