Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HELP WITH MOCK DRAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkesn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: HELP WITH MOCK DRAFT Reply with quote

I want to do a mock draft and would like input from each teamís forum so I can understand what your needs are. Please give good reasons for the picks you make and list the positions you need in order of most important. Thanks.
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just think defense for almost every pick LB, S, and CB every posistion basicly CB in first though. i put Marlin Jackson, Fabian Washington,
Corey Webster, as good picks

~ Lork
inkwell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, and what comes out of Polians mouth this time of year is not worth much IMO, he said today in an interview on Sirius NFL channel that he saw a lot of value on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball late in the first round. Personally I expect the Colts to move from 29 or add picks another way. I think with Bashir and Pollard gone (freeing up some cap room), they will find a way to move Edge for picks and move resources from the O to the D. If they stay, I look for a DL to be their pick. Unless Justin Miller is still there, which I doubt, I look for them to take a DL and wouldnt be shocked if it was an edge rusher if they are truly moving Mathis to LB. If Thomas Davis is still there he could be their OLB pick. Mike Patterson is the kind of guy Polian could rate much higher than other GMs. It is too high to take Marlin Jackson I think but, with the loss of Bashir, I could see them wanting him or Brodney Pool as players who could end up at either CB or give them a safety more naturally suited for free safety than the two starters who seem more strong safeties. I could see them reaching slightly for a LB like Burnett. If they clear them of the off field concerns, Thurman and Crowder would look good in the horseshoe but i wouldnt bet in that happening. I would not be surprised to see them pick a RB on the 2nd or third . . . Fason, Morency or Kay Jay maybe. Fincher at LB could be a Colt on those picks too. They usually look for an OL to groom in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Lastly, if they can work a trade for Edge, I wouldnt be surprised if they get after a trade for a veteran player such as a Cory Simon or Patrick Surtain or maybe Trevor Pryce or maybe try to pick up a Jami Sharper. I expect some move from Polian during or around the draft. I have to believe they arent gonna just wait for NE to shrivel up and die. They need to be proactive in trying to get over that hump.
andersong0857

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lastly, if they can work a trade for Edge, I wouldnt be surprised if they get after a trade for a veteran player such as a Cory Simon or Patrick Surtain or maybe Trevor Pryce or maybe try to pick up a Jami Sharper. I expect some move from Polian during or around the draft. I have to believe they arent gonna just wait for NE to shrivel up and die. They need to be proactive in trying to get over that hump.

I sure hope your right and they get rid of the Edge and get some defense because if they dont it will be another sad year for the colts in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bigred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
For what it is worth, and what comes out of Polians mouth this time of year is not worth much IMO, he said today in an interview on Sirius NFL channel that he saw a lot of value on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball late in the first round. Personally I expect the Colts to move from 29 or add picks another way.
That clicking sound you hear is me loading up my shotgun. How far of a drive is it to Indy....lessee....

This kind of COMPLETELY BONEHEADED MOVE would not surprise me in the very least though.

I really hate that moron.
bigred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
I have to believe they arent gonna just wait for NE to shrivel up and die. They need to be proactive in trying to get over that hump.
You seem to have forgotten who we're talking about.....
IndyBlueNation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of needs:
1- DT: a run-effective DT that can occupy some blockers so our undersized LBs dont get crunched by linemen all the time.
2- MLB: a replacment for Morris, hopefully someone better. Remember though, one reason Morris looked so bad was because the DLine didn't give him much help. A late round MLB wouldn't hurt either, since we don't currently have one signed on the roster.
3- CB: I wouldn't say a shutdown corner because they don't exist, put someone that can stay healthy and contribute. All they have to do to start is outplay either Jefferson, David or Strickland...shouldn't be that hard.
4- HB: James may leave next year, Rhodes is solid but leaves some to be desired. A recent article by a Colts officer mentioned how they want a speed back over a power back.
5- S: Depth is needed. Bashir's gone, Doss and Sanders may have injury concerns, Gerome Sapp is the only decent S not starting.
inkwell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndyBlueNation wrote:
List of needs:
1- DT: a run-effective DT that can occupy some blockers so our undersized LBs dont get crunched by linemen all the time.
2- MLB: a replacment for Morris, hopefully someone better. Remember though, one reason Morris looked so bad was because the DLine didn't give him much help. A late round MLB wouldn't hurt either, since we don't currently have one signed on the roster.
3- CB: I wouldn't say a shutdown corner because they don't exist, put someone that can stay healthy and contribute. All they have to do to start is outplay either Jefferson, David or Strickland...shouldn't be that hard.
4- HB: James may leave next year, Rhodes is solid but leaves some to be desired. A recent article by a Colts officer mentioned how they want a speed back over a power back.
5- S: Depth is needed. Bashir's gone, Doss and Sanders may have injury concerns, Gerome Sapp is the only decent S not starting.

1. Never gonna happen while Dungy is here. Our DL is not there to tie up blockers. You need a better understanding of the Colts D. The job of the DL is to penetrate and disrupt the offensive flow.

2. We do have a MLB on the roster. His name is Gary Brackett. Whether he is a good one or not is up for discussion. We definitely need a MLB and for the first time since Morris got here, they seem to be addressing a replacement for him.

3. As you infer, they have the depth here, a number one CB would improve the whole secondary much the way that a number one pitcher improves the whole rotation.

4. I think they would be nuts to go for a speed or home run back to replace Edge. They need a tough, between the tackles runner, IMO to make Manning most effective. Their passing game should be their home run threat. Above all, whoever they bring in needs to be a complete back, ie. able to catch, pick up the blitz AND run the ball.

5. I agree but dont forget that Strickland has swung to safety.
Unger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndyBlueNation wrote:
List of needs:

DT- As Inkwell said, that's not the idea. We'd get a DT that can cause havoc, make stops in the backfield, blow up plays. A big situation stuffer would be welcome though, an effective Larry Tripplett, perhaps.
MLB- Agreed, but this might be top priority, since Brackett isn't starting material, sorry to say. He's just to small...he's a good nickle LB though.
CB- #1 is needed, we've got a roster full of #2 and three corners. And they're all undersized save Mr. Break-me Jefferson.
HB- They'd try and get a speedy HB, Ink (although I'd like a short-yard runner also). On the Colt website HB overview, Chris Polian states that speed is more important to them than a power runner.
S- Yeap, I just have the feeling that Doss or Sanders will be injured for a short stretch this year. We need a FS on the roster anyways, D and S are both basically SS.

I'd also think we'd need:
G- Rick is gone, and all the starting spots are up for grabs. Scott, Lilja, and Portis can fight them out, but I'd like a new draftee. Mudd is a genius, he'll make it work.
DE- After cutting Scioli, playing Brock alot at DT, and rumors of Mathis moving to OLB, I think depth could be considered.
inkwell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont believe anything coming out of our front office. They are just genetically incapable of giving a straight answer to a straight question.

Chris Polian was head of pro scouting for us when we made a series of horrible signings. I dont know that he is responsible for overpaying Burris and Poole and signing Walt Harris with one knee and Mike Wells (I think it was Wells) with one arm he couldnt raise above chest level but he had the title. He is not my most respected member of the Colts front office.

I think a speed runner would be wasted here much as Portis is in Washington. We need a RB we can run 20 to 35 times, who can gain tough yards and wwho can pass block and pick up the blitz. A scatback who is too small to reliable block, who cant run enough to keep the D's attention, wastes Peyton's skills IMO. Granted he needs to be a receiver too but his main use is to be enough of a threat on any down to give Peytons play fakes some teeth.
bigred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO:

1. CB. Not only biggest need along with MLB, but best players avail will likely be here.

2. MLB. Unfortunately the only prospect likely to be there is Crowder, and he's very dicey....

3. DT. Again question if one worthwhile will be there. Could be a good 2d round move though.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 until draft is over, pending some amazing value falling to us at OL or OLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: