Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trading up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aheineken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Trading up Reply with quote

What do you think the Rams chances of trading up are? Who do you think is worth trading up for?

I can only really see 3 guys I'd like to see the Rams trade up for in the first round. If Carlos Rogers or Antrel Rolle are there at when the Panthers pick (Rogers is possible, Rolle doubtful) I'd like to see them jump ahead of the Chiefs to get one of those two guys as I have them rated as the two best CBs in the draft.

Then if Merriman or DJ fall out of the top 10, I'd like to see a trade up for them, but there's pretty much no chance of that happening.
magscivic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I dont see us trading up. I could possibly see us trading down to get more picks though. We need too many players in this draft. A starting RT, FS, DE are what we need to address with our first 3-4 picks. I dont care what order as long as they are quality picks. Next, we need to address S depth, OG/C, CB and FB depth. Although with the Michaels coming to town (Hathorne and Stone) we have less of a need for a nickel or dime back.
Halradio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one player I can see the Rams trading up for is Thomas Davis.

1. He is the best available player at his position.

2. Davis is projected to be chosen in the middle of the first round putting him within range.
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not sure you really want to trade up for a safety but I'd liek to seem them trade up for one of three players...Rolle, Rogers or Troy Williamson...I know...we don't need a WR but Bruce will be gone sooner than later (kills me to say that, I love Ike) but Williamson would slide in and be the next Pro Bowler in this system.
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Quote:

Not sure you really want to trade up for a safety but I'd liek to seem them trade up for one of three players...Rolle, Rogers or Troy Williamson...I know...we don't need a WR but Bruce will be gone sooner than later (kills me to say that, I love Ike) but Williamson would slide in and be the next Pro Bowler in this system.

We have too many holes on defense to go with a WR in the first, but Rolle or Rogers would be fine with me.

A WR I'd like to see in horns is Jerome Mathis. If he's there at #66, I'd love for us to get him. He could come in right away and be a great kick returner (something we badly need), then eventually develop into a great WR learning from Bruce and Holt. Curtis and McDonald are both in the final year of their contracts, so a first day WR isn't out of the mix, just not in the first round.
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah but Williamson is so tempting...and don't think Martz isn't licking his chops thinking about this guy.
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Yah but Williamson is so tempting...and don't think Martz isn't licking his chops thinking about this guy.

You're right. One thing that tempts Martz is speed....Trung Canidate Mad
magscivic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Back to Thomas Davis...isnt this guy a SS/OLB tweener? I understand that Archuleta was hurt last year and he may still be a little hurt this year, but do we need to draft a SS in the 1st? We need a FS if we are going to draft any saftey. Then maybe try to pick up Brimmer in the 4th for some depth. Michael Hathorne can play FS but I hear he is not a starter there. He does provide depth though. How is Davis's coverage skills? Anybody know? Can he play FS?
aheineken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magscivic wrote:
ok Back to Thomas Davis...isnt this guy a SS/OLB tweener? I understand that Archuleta was hurt last year and he may still be a little hurt this year, but do we need to draft a SS in the 1st? We need a FS if we are going to draft any saftey. Then maybe try to pick up Brimmer in the 4th for some depth. Michael Hathorne can play FS but I hear he is not a starter there. He does provide depth though. How is Davis's coverage skills? Anybody know? Can he play FS?

He played "free safety" for UGA, but his responsibilites are more of a SS. He'll be the first to admit he could work on his coverage skills. If you watch this guy play though, you'll see why we need a guy like him. IMO he's the only safety (FS or SS) that's worth a 1st round pick. The only reason Pool is getting into mocks as a 1st is because he's the best FS in a very weak FS class.
magscivic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points, thanks for the clarification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: