Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Broyles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Ryan Broyles Reply with quote

He suffered a brutal ACL injury today, but has always been the type of receiver I'd love to have on the Chargers. Do you think his injury will drop him to a second round pick? I really think he's a guy we should target in the draft.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Broyles Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
He suffered a brutal ACL injury today, but has always been the type of receiver I'd love to have on the Chargers. Do you think his injury will drop him to a second round pick? I really think he's a guy we should target in the draft.

Um... barring him running in the mid-to-low 4.3's in the forty, he wasn't going to be higher than a 2nd round pick to begin with. This injury probably pushes him to anywhere from a 3rd to early 5th round pick depending on how soon he's actually able to get back on the field and at least workout. If he isn't rehabbed enough to run at the combine or Oklahoma's Pro Day, he won't go until Day 3 - too large of a pool at the position for teams to willingly chance on a guy making an immediate contribution (particularly as a returner or quick-slot guy) coming off a shredded ACL.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Broyles Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
charger-man wrote:

Um... barring him running in the mid-to-low 4.3's in the forty, he wasn't going to be higher than a 2nd round pick to begin with. This injury probably pushes him to anywhere from a 3rd to early 5th round pick depending on how soon he's actually able to get back on the field and at least workout. If he isn't rehabbed enough to run at the combine or Oklahoma's Pro Day, he won't go until Day 3 - too large of a pool at the position for teams to willingly chance on a guy making an immediate contribution (particularly as a returner or quick-slot guy) coming off a shredded ACL.

Huh. The guy looks like an NFL receiver to me, but I'm unsure how this ACL injury will affect his route running (best attribute) and explosiveness. I'd like to see us grab him in the 3rd/4th.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Broyles Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
The LBC wrote:
charger-man wrote:

Huh. The guy looks like an NFL receiver to me, but I'm unsure how this ACL injury will affect his route running (best attribute) and explosiveness. I'd like to see us grab him in the 3rd/4th.

Of course he does. But you said it yourself, his best attributes are his route-running and explosiveness and there's no guarantee that he'll regain that in the same form after this knee injury. Look at Brandon Tate - the guy had the talent to be a 1st round pick (in a year where there were some quality WR's available in the draft) and fell to the late 3rd because of the exact same injury and the exact same doubts.

He's still going to get drafted, but the unknowns will affect his stock as will questions over how immediately he'll be able to present a return on investment (no one wants to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a player that won't make a sizable contribution as a rookie unless that player is a QB).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Broyles Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
charger-man wrote:
The LBC wrote:
charger-man wrote:

Of course he does. But you said it yourself, his best attributes are his route-running and explosiveness and there's no guarantee that he'll regain that in the same form after this knee injury. Look at Brandon Tate - the guy had the talent to be a 1st round pick (in a year where there were some quality WR's available in the draft) and fell to the late 3rd because of the exact same injury and the exact same doubts.

He's still going to get drafted, but the unknowns will affect his stock as will questions over how immediately he'll be able to present a return on investment (no one wants to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a player that won't make a sizable contribution as a rookie unless that player is a QB).

Harry Douglas had a similar injury in training camp two years ago. He didn't fully regain form until this year, where he's done pretty good catching balls of 30, 40 and 50 yards this season.

89 tackles; 3 sacks; 6 passes defensed
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any predictions on when and where this guy ends up?

Obviously there's the ACL - but by all accounts it's healing up nicely. The guy was ridiculously productive in college, he was considered a borderline 1st round pick before the injury and now he's buried somewhere in the deepest receiver class in recent memory. You only have to see what happened to Landry Jones' production after Broyles went down to know the importance of him to that team. He's also a bright kid - some guys in interviews come across as a bit vacant, but he comes across really well.

If the ACL checks out okay, then someone might get one hell of a steal with this guy if he goes mid to late rounds.
epicMustache

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt so bad watching that ACL injury happen... I'd say he's a 3rd to 4th round prospect, but I think he could have snuck into the top 40 picks if he didn't get injured.

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: