You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Heritage Series #9: "Buckets" Goldenberg

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManInCharge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Packers Heritage Series #9: "Buckets" Goldenberg Reply with quote

1. Arnie Herber
2. Cecil Isbell
3. Cal Hubbard
4. Johnny "Blood" McNally
5. Verne Lewellen
6. Tony Canadeo
7.Clark Hinkle
8. Tobin Rote

Charles "Buckets" Goldenberg

Years with Packers: 1933-45
Position: Guard/Running Back

Notable Achievements:
• 3x NFL Champion (1936, 39, 44)
• 1930s All-Decade Team
• 2x All-Pro (1939, 42)
• 1x Pro Bowler (1939)
• Packers Hall of Fame

“[O]n defense, I liked to clobber somebody - anybody just as long as he wore a different jersey.”

“I have always said a guard is just a fullback getting his brains knocked out.”

Born in Czarist Russia, Charles Goldenberg’s family moved to Milwaukee when he was 4 years old. It was at a local high school that he inherited his nickname “Buckets” from his older brother. The Goldenberg brothers had an odd football stance that had their derričre high in the air. Their coach would yell at them to “get that bucket down,” which stuck with the younger brother throughout college and the pros.

Buckets had a successful college career with the Wisconsin Badgers, which led to several professional offers after graduation. He actually turned down better offers from teams like the New York Giants so he could live his self-proclaimed dream of playing for his homestate Packers.

He joined the team as a member of the backfield. Although his position was quarterback, his role was actually that of a blocking back in Lambeau’s offense. His rookie season in 1933 was actually his most successful statistically. Despite sharing rushing responsibilities with Clarke Hinkle and fellow rookie Bob Monnett, Buckets managed to rush for over 200 yards and a healthy 4.1 YPA average. Perhaps more importantly he led the team in rushing TDs with 5, one more than each of his fellow backs. His five rushing TDs was a team record for a rookie that stood for 72 years until one-year wonder Samkon Gado surpassed it by one. He also scored touchdowns off of an interception and a blocked kick, notching him the hat trick of finding the end zone on offense, defense, and special teams. His 7 total touchdowns not only led the team in overall scoring that season, but also led the league in touchdowns. His two “defensive” TDs was another Packer rookie record that held for 64 years until Darren Sharper made three.

The next season saw his carries and yards drop, but he was still able to find the endzone a few times. This trend continued for a few years, until he never made another career rushing attempt after 1937. The reason for this trend was not a decline in productivity, but instead a position switch that had been in the works for quite some time.

When Buckets first reported to the team, Hall of Fame linemen Cal Hubbard and Mike Michalske asked him what position he was trying out for. They scoffed when he told them he was a back, telling him he had the ideal body type for a guard. However, Coach Lambeau was known for having a hard head and being reluctant to accept ideas that were not his own. With some lobbying, by Michalske in particular, Lambeau eventually did convert Goldenberg into a guard.

It was with this change that Buckets found his calling. His play continued to get better with age, and he may have had his best season as a guard in 1939. That year he earned his first All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors on a championship team that he personally considered the best he ever played on. He earned All-Pro honors again in 1942 as a ten-year veteran. He was also named to the 1930s All-Decade team as a guard

Like most players in his day, Buckets played on both sides of the ball. He was a linebacker on defense where he was equally effective. Between 1940-3, he managed to pick off 8 passes in a position that wasn’t known for coverage; he was able to snag 4 of these interceptions in his 1942 All-Pro season. He was also an effective pass rusher, although sack statistics would not be recorded for decades. This aspect of his game was especially good against the Bears.

Goldenberg figured out that Sid Luckman would always plant his left foot in a certain way when he was going to pass. When Buckets would see this, he would tell members of the defensive line that he was going to rush and to make sure to cover his gap. After taking Luckman to the turf enough, Bears RB Bulldog Turner suggested instead of actually passing that they pause a second before handing the ball off to another back. The next time that Buckets decided to leave his position and rush upfield, they handed the ball off to Bill Osmansky who ran right through the hole Goldenberg had created. Thus, the draw play was born.

After suffering a foot injury in 1945, Buckets decided to hang up the cleats. In an era when players often didn’t play for very long and often switched teams with regularity, Goldenberg retired after 13 seasons as the longest tenured Packers player in history. It would be another 24 years before that record would be broken, and only four players have been able to have a longer career for the team: Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, and Brett Favre.

Although Buckets’ playing days were over he maintained a busy lifestyle. He started a restaurant in Milwaukee, co-owned a bar and bowling alley with Don Hutson in Green Bay, and even attempted a professional wrestling career. Finally, he was another in a long line of former players who would join the team’s Board of Directors, a position he maintained for quite some time.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
xDD80x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, these are awesome. Keeping up as best I can with them, all the NFL action is consuming me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xDD80x wrote:
As always, these are awesome. Keeping up as best I can with them, all the NFL action is consuming me.

Agree, wish your series was more popular.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawaiiFan808 wrote:
xDD80x wrote:

It is. There's just not much to discuss. lol. I love reading these, but never really have anything to say about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posty wrote:
HawaiiFan808 wrote:
xDD80x wrote:

It is. There's just not much to discuss. lol. I love reading these, but never really have anything to say about it.

I think that's pretty much it. I know there are people that appreciate it, so I look at the page views more than anything to see if people are still reading or not. Like you said, not a whole lot to debate so there aren't many replies, which keeps page views low. I think the biggest issue right now is that it sometimes gets buried when there are a lot of active gameday-type threads popping up.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult for us to add anything because these players played before most of us were born. But I do love these history lessons. Very Happy
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInCharge wrote:
Posty wrote:
HawaiiFan808 wrote:
xDD80x wrote:

I think that's pretty much it. I know there are people that appreciate it, so I look at the page views more than anything to see if people are still reading or not. Like you said, not a whole lot to debate so there aren't many replies, which keeps page views low. I think the biggest issue right now is that it sometimes gets buried when there are a lot of active gameday-type threads popping up.

Yeah, I read everyone of these. Kind of cool that the draw was created in a bears/packers game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even knew this guy existed. I must say, though, I read your commentary on the draw play. I recently watched a Top-10 on NFLN, Things that Changed the Game, although I was only half paying attention. I know they discussed the inception of the draw play on that episode. I'm curious if anyone knows if the stories reconcile.

Well done as usual.

Read more. Post less.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: