You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders and Vikings are closer than you think....

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82974
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Raiders and Vikings are closer than you think.... Reply with quote

Originally in 1960 and slated to play in Minnesota, the AFL's 8th original franchise was forced to look for another home after a deal with Minnesota fell through.

After briefly flirting with Atlanta it was decided to put the new team in the Bay Area. The Oakland Raiders, led by Coach Eddie Erdelatz played their first game ever at San Francisco's Kezar Stadium on September 11th where they lost to the Houston Oilers by a score of 37-22. Two weeks later in a rematch at Houston the Raiders got their first win by a score of 14-13. The Raiders would finish their first season in financial peril with a 6-8 record.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71722
_________________


Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7223
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been so cool if the raiders were in Minnesota. All these years I wouldn't have had to listen to the gang banger Raider fans in LA. They would have been Minnesota's problem.

I wonder who would have filled the hole though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sundancejoe


Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 4006
Location: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link VD, I didn't know that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SantanasTown


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 2730
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
That would have been so cool if the raiders were in Minnesota. All these years I wouldn't have had to listen to the gang banger Raider fans in LA. They would have been Minnesota's problem.

I wonder who would have filled the hole though...


The raider fans wouldn't be "gang bangers" if the Raiders didn't play in LA and Oakland, two of the most violent cities in America.

Do you really think any team in Minnesota would have a legion of "gang banger" fans loyal to them. No, because Minnesota is not that kind of place.

BTW, please dont use words like gang banger to describe Raider fans or any group of people, it is offensive to me for a variety of reasons which I cant discuss b/c Ill get permantly banned from these forums. So instead I'll just ask you nicely not to use terms like that.
_________________

Human Crack in the Flesh. Im the last of the best. One word to describe me? Spectacular, Yes.
2006 FF Mock Draft Contest Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HiFi


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 15768
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SantanasTown wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
That would have been so cool if the raiders were in Minnesota. All these years I wouldn't have had to listen to the gang banger Raider fans in LA. They would have been Minnesota's problem.

I wonder who would have filled the hole though...


The raider fans wouldn't be "gang bangers" if the Raiders didn't play in LA and Oakland, two of the most violent cities in America.

Do you really think any team in Minnesota would have a legion of "gang banger" fans loyal to them. No, because Minnesota is not that kind of place.

BTW, please dont use words like gang banger to describe Raider fans or any group of people, it is offensive to me for a variety of reasons which I cant discuss b/c Ill get permantly banned from these forums. So instead I'll just ask you nicely not to use terms like that.


He's joking. And besides, the whole Raiders thing did get pretty popular within the gang community awhile back. He also never called all Raiders' fans gang-bangers, he simply implied that some Raiders' fans (or people that wore Raiders' apparel) were gang-bangers.

It's really not a big deal.
_________________
What came first? The misery or the music?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7223
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely appologise if I offended you. Let me explain myself a little bit. I have Raider fans lumped into two categories.

The first category is an actual football fan or someone who likes the raiders because they grew up liking them. I've never disliked someone for liking a team. In fact I actually get along better with fans from other teams because we have something to say to eachother other then. Hey I think LT is going to have a monster season, Yea me too.

The other category of Raider fan is not a football fan. They aren't even really Raider fans. They just say they are. They decided to like the Raiders because of the colors. Silver and black and with a skull and crossbones makes them look cool. These types of people during the early 90's would wear the colors knowing nothing of the history of the franchise and then go out and act like they were badasses. I can't stand it when I see someone in a Raiders jersey who has never heard of players like Marcus Allen, Fred Biletnikoff, Plunket.

Quite recently I ran into the a jersey wearer in the mall. Now, not wanting to be rude I decided I'd chat with him about the Raiders and see if he had high hopes for this season. The first thing he told me was the Raiders were going to win the Superbowl this year because Gannon was the best QB ever. Eh? Well at least he could name a recent Raider QB even if it wasn't the current one right?

After the Raiders moved back to Oakland, SD has inherited some of the old Raider fans that have jumped ship now that the Coliseum stands empty. I can't stand them. They are the ones at the games that are throwing objects, drinking excessively and starting fights. They don't watch the game nor do they actually even know whats going on. They view the whole day as a party experience.

Hopefully I was able to explain my comment a bit further. I didn't intend to offend anyone on this site. I really enjoy talking with the Raider fans here, who I doubt would fit into the second category as they are actually taking the time to discuss football and be a knowledgable football fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kjherrm


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1596
Location: Stillman Valley
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one thing that a lot of people label all Raider's fans because when NWA, Ice Cube, and Snoop started wearing Raiders stuff it became a popular look. It bugs me when I see people that don't follow the teams that they wear.

Back to the main topic of the forum though, I really don't think that if the Raiders would have started in Minnesota they would have been the Raiders. They probably would have been the Vikings since that is the area that is more likely to have some Viking history than Pirate history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HiFi


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 15768
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I sincerely appologise if I offended you. Let me explain myself a little bit. I have Raider fans lumped into two categories.

The first category is an actual football fan or someone who likes the raiders because they grew up liking them. I've never disliked someone for liking a team. In fact I actually get along better with fans from other teams because we have something to say to eachother other then. Hey I think LT is going to have a monster season, Yea me too.

The other category of Raider fan is not a football fan. They aren't even really Raider fans. They just say they are. They decided to like the Raiders because of the colors. Silver and black and with a skull and crossbones makes them look cool. These types of people during the early 90's would wear the colors knowing nothing of the history of the franchise and then go out and act like they were badasses. I can't stand it when I see someone in a Raiders jersey who has never heard of players like Marcus Allen, Fred Biletnikoff, Plunket.

Quite recently I ran into the a jersey wearer in the mall. Now, not wanting to be rude I decided I'd chat with him about the Raiders and see if he had high hopes for this season. The first thing he told me was the Raiders were going to win the Superbowl this year because Gannon was the best QB ever. Eh? Well at least he could name a recent Raider QB even if it wasn't the current one right?

After the Raiders moved back to Oakland, SD has inherited some of the old Raider fans that have jumped ship now that the Coliseum stands empty. I can't stand them. They are the ones at the games that are throwing objects, drinking excessively and starting fights. They don't watch the game nor do they actually even know whats going on. They view the whole day as a party experience.

Hopefully I was able to explain my comment a bit further. I didn't intend to offend anyone on this site. I really enjoy talking with the Raider fans here, who I doubt would fit into the second category as they are actually taking the time to discuss football and be a knowledgable football fan.


Excellent explanation and just as I expected. I, too, cannot stand those people who are not actually fans but pretend as if they are for the sake of being 'intimidating' or 'cool'.
_________________
What came first? The misery or the music?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantanasTown


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 2730
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand...I just hate the way, in general (not just talking about Raider fans here), people are so quick to label troubled athletes or other people "gang bangers", "thugs"...etc. And I really hate it when people lump people into groups like that. So thats explaining why I reacted the way I did.
_________________

Human Crack in the Flesh. Im the last of the best. One word to describe me? Spectacular, Yes.
2006 FF Mock Draft Contest Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82974
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel the love here.

think if the Minnesota Raiders started out in the 60's and became one of the best cold weather teams of that era, eventually threatening the Green Bay Packers who then moved to Los Angeles.....
_________________


Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
exodusone


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 524
Location: Los Angeles, California
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get where are lightning bolt friend is coming from. Many people back in the early 90's were abusing the silver and black for their own fashionable needs. These are the same bandwagon fans that you will see at Dodger games, and they will also make the trip to S.D to see the Raiders. I understand what your saying.
_________________

Props to JaguarsFan28329 for the sig.
"Great! Now I don't have any money for booze. I'm jobless and sober, there's no excuse for that!" - Andy French (Mission Hill)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group