Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Strahan - the 255 lb. 4-3 defensive end example
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Michael Strahan - the 255 lb. 4-3 defensive end example Reply with quote

Hey guys...Chiefs fan here...

I was thinking of how when people are looking at NFL draft prospects there seems to be a line where a college defensive end that weighs around 255 to 260 lbs. seems to be automatically tabbed as a "tweener"...too light-weight to ever be a starting-caliber 4-3 defensive end and then the questions come up about whether the prospect can "transition" to playing 3-4 outside linebacker.

As I was thinking about this, I happened to remember seeing on the NFL.com website that Michael Strahan was 6'-5", 255 lbs. I don't know how accurate this is and if he actually played at a much heavier weight, but it got me thinking - how could Michael Strahan make such an impact as a 4-3 pass rushing defensive end when he was straddling the line of being a 3-4 pass rushing outside linebacker.

And if Strahan played 4-3 defensive end at around 255 lbs. during his career, what allowed him to do so and make such an impact as a pass rusher? I also don't seem to hear much talk about him ever being a liability in run defense, which is another question mark that invariably gets attached to any college defensive end that is physically comparable to Strahan.

So what characteristics jump out at you that Strahan possessed (both physically and technically, along with any schematic benefits) that allowed him to make an impact, and what college prospects do you think come closest to possessing some of those characteristics?

In this day and age of players being bigger and more athletic (like offensive tackles), are the days of a starting 4-3 defensive end weighing in around 255 lbs. over?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Onyxmeth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure 255lbs is a mistake. He always looked bigger than that and every source other than NFL.com has him listed at 275lbs, which seems closer to the truth.

l3lind golfer wrote:
It's official. LeBron is staying in Cleveland. Quote that. I have a source. If it's not true, I'll never post here again.
jintsrule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember right when they drafted him in 92,he was like 260?
mwarn79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was drafted at 260lbs. He is massively strong, and through the years he bulked up to, at one point, 275lbs. When he came to see Osi being a 260lbs pass-rusher, he slimmed down to 255lbs. All while he maintained his muscle mass. There are many teams that look for pass-rushers that are smaller in weight, cause many times they are faster. Scouts and GM's have those players where they want them. With saying this you can't go about having a 230lbs DE, but you can try to make him a linebacker. Or if you run a 3-4 Defense, you can make him a rush linebacker. When it comes to Strahan, he was at first thought of being a linebacker, but they kept him at End... I think maybe it paid off to keep him there... I don't know Laughing
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're reading it right. In the last few years of his career, Strahan felt that he would be able to play at a lighter weight to take stress off of his joints and still play effectively. He compensated for his lack of bulk with his strength and superior technique. Stray once said that he felt that dropping the weight allowed him to extend his career. So, you can do it, it just helps to have Hall of Fame technique Smile
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when he was trimmed down, he was still racked. Plus, as NYGiantsman10 said, it doesn't hurt to have a HOF skill set either.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:

Even when he was trimmed down, he was still racked. Plus, as NYGiantsman10 said, it doesn't hurt to have a HOF skill set either.

Thats a beautiful man right there Cool. I was recently watching the DVD of the Giants Super Bowl win and Stray grabs Eli's head at the end of the game and shouts in his face "I WAITED 15 YEARS FOR THIS!" Laughing I miss #92. Best Giants player I ever watched.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
IR0NM1KE wrote:

Thats a beautiful man right there Cool. I was recently watching the DVD of the Giants Super Bowl win and Stray grabs Eli's head at the end of the game and shouts in his face "I WAITED 15 YEARS FOR THIS!" Laughing I miss #92. Best Giants player I ever watched.

Once again, this site needs a like button

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I miss watching this man play. His talent and general enthusiasm were such a pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the NFL network special on him last night. Damn, what a beast. What a combination of power and speed. I am hoping Robert Quinn can be a similar player as him. I was trying to compare their height / weight

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
I watched the NFL network special on him last night. Damn, what a beast. What a combination of power and speed. I am hoping Robert Quinn can be a similar player as him. I was trying to compare their height / weight

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270

Dude that is an EPIC bump Shocked
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270

I'm 5'11, 175 pounds
Allen iverson is 5'11 170 pounds...

bulger2holt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270

I'm 5'11, 175 pounds

Hmm, let's compare

Quinn- 6'4 264 NFL DE, power, speed, pass rusher
Strahan- 6'5 270 NFL DE, power, speed, pass rusher

Allen Iverson, 5'11, 170, NBA, point guard
You, 5'11, 175 internet dork

That's a great comparison and very relevant
Acgott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270

I'm 5'11, 175 pounds

Hmm, let's compare

Can we add Dave Tollefson to this too?

He is 6-4 260
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:

Quinn - 6'4 264
Strahan 6'5 270

I'm 5'11, 175 pounds

Hmm, let's compare

Strahan- 429 tackles, 141.5 sacks, 14 force fumbles and future hall of famer
Quinn- 0 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 force fumbles. Takes plays off.

Erasmus James 6-4 266
Robert Quinn 6-4 264

See you can't compare players on their size. And thanks for the personal attacks. You might want to check the rules on name calling Smile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: