Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Study on pass rushing 3-4 OLBs: 3-Cone Drill; Vert and Broad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Study on pass rushing 3-4 OLBs: 3-Cone Drill; Vert and Broad Reply with quote

With the recent movement the league is having towards 3-4 defenses, pass rushing OLBs are at a premium. Scouts are on the constant look out for the next college DE that there team can convert to OLB in this scheme, which has lead to more of these kinds of prospects being taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft (see: 2009). Finding an OLB for the 3-4 that has the ability to get double digit sacks seems to be very hit or miss in the draft. They are much harder to find then linebackers that can set the edge against the run and/or cover, but don't have an elite ability to get to the QB. Because of this, I feel as if you are only taking a potential 3-4 OLB in the first two rounds if you think he has that ability.

For this study I have pooled together 25 players that have spent atleast one year in the 3-4 as an OLB. This group consists of the players that have either been taken within the first two rounds of the draft, or ones that are viewed as good-great pass rushers. The only exceptions to this are Terrell Suggs, James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, and Calvin Pace not being in it due to them not perfoming the necessary drills.

I have made a two-part criteria that potentially shows the correlation between the results of the 3-cone drill, the vert, and the broad jump in relations to a prospects ability to rush the passer at the next level. Obviously 1,2, or even 3 measured/timed drills cannot guarantee a success in this skill at the next level, but its very intriguing to look at.

To fit section A of this criteria a player must have been timed doing the 3-cone drill under 7 seconds. For section B, the player must have jumped a vertical of atleast 39'' AND have done the broad jump over 10'00''. Without further a due, here you go...

Section A - The 3-Cone Drill

Clay Matthews: 6.90 3-cone time; 4.18 shuttle time; 35.5'' vert; 10'01'' broad jump - 23.5 sacks in his first two seasons combined.

Shaun Phillips: 6.95 3-cone time; 4.21 shuttle time; 33'' vert; 09'06'' broad jump - Consistent pass rusher with two seasons with atleast 11 sacks and 4 seaons with atleast 7 sacks.

DeMarcus Ware: 6.85 3-cone time; 4.07 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 10'02'' broad jump - He almost fit into both sections of the criteria, to go along with a crazy shuttle time. It's not hard to see why he has had an insane 80 sacks in his first 6 seaons.

Kamerion Wimbley: 6.98 3-cone time; 4.48 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 10'09'' broad jump - 11 sacks as a rookie and 9 this past year.

Lawernce Timmons: 6.92 3-cone time; 4.32 shuttle time; 35'' vert; 10'03'' broad jump - Started his career as an OLB and has showen good pass rushing ablities before being moved inside.

Manny Lawson: 6.90 3-cone time; 4.21 shuttle time; 39.5'' vert; 10'04'' broad jump - Has not had many sacks in his career, while not starting early on in his career he lead the league this past year in QB pressures.

Connor Barwin: 6.87 3-cone time; 4.18 shuttle time; 40.5'' vert; 10'08'' broad jump - Actually has not played OLB yet, but projects there very well this year after showing a ton of pass rushing promise in his first season.

David Pollack: 6.87 3-cone time; 3.94 shuttle time; 37'' vert; 10'00'' broad jump - Showed the ability to be an elite pass rusher before he suffered a horrible spinal injury that ended his career.

Bobby Carpenter: 6.88 3-cone time; 4.31 shuttle time; no vert available; no broad jump available - Only player to fit in either section of the criteria that turned out to be a bust.

Section B - Vert & Broad Jump

Brian Orakpo: 39.5'' vert; 10'10'' broad jump; 7.26 3-cone time; 4.45 shuttle time - 19.5 sacks his first two years in the league.

Cameron Wake: 45.5'' vert; 10'10'' broad jump; 7.12 3-cone time; 4.13 shuttle time - Wow, no idea how this guy went undrafted with numbers like that. He broke out this past season (his 2nd in the NFL) with 14 sacks.

Shawne Merriman: 40'' vert; 10'01'' broad jump; no 3-cone time available; 4.21 shuttle time - 29.5 sacks his first 3 years in the league before 'roid gate and turning into glass.

Joey Porter: 39'' Vert; 10'04'' broad jump; 7.37 3-cone time; 4.41 shuttle time - Perfect example of a player who used his explosion over anything else to rush the passer. Porter is just 3 sacks shy of 100 in his entire career.

Just missed - LaMarr Woodley: No 3-cone time available; 4.42 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 09'09'' broad jump - Very close to fitting into section B, although we don't know if he would have fit into section A due to not having a 3-cone time on file for him.

Players who fit neither criteria

Aaron Maybin: 7.52 3-cone time; 4.38 shuttle time; 38'' vert; 10'04'' broad jump - Has had 0 sacks in his first 2 seasons in the NFL, atleast he has not reached Gholston territory... yet.

Larry English: 7.26 3-cone time; 4.38 shuttle time; 36'' vert;
08'11'' broad jump - Only a total of 5 sacks in his first 2 seasons, very disappointing.

Robert Ayers: 7.56 3-cone time; 4.51 shuttle time; 29.5'' vert; 08'06'' broad jump - Has had injury problems, regardless he has shown little in the pass rushing department with only 1.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Paul Kruger: 7.52 3-cone time; 4.47 shuttle time; 32.5'' vert; 09'00'' broad jump - Been moved from OLB to DE, 1 sack his first 2 seasons.

Cody Brown: 7.10 3-cone time; 4.40 shuttle time; 36.5'' vert; 10'00 broad jump - Didn't even get to see the field, he was that poor.

Vernon Gholston: 7.12 3-cone time; 4.40 shuttle time; 35.5'' vert; 10'05'' broad jump - Recorded the grand total of 0 sacks in 3 years in the league... Ouch.

Matt Roth: 7.65 3-cone time; 4.36 shuttle time; 32'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Decent all around OLB, but nothing more then a mediocre pass rusher with three seasons of 3.5 sacks.

Anthony Spencer: 7.14 3-cone time; 4.43 shuttle time; 32.5'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Solid pass rusher, but never threatens the double digit sack marker.

Sergio Kindle: 7.26 3-cone time; 4.53 shuttle time; 36.5'' vert; 09'10'' broad jump - Missed his rookie season with an injury, jury still out on him.

Koa Misi: 7.07 3-cone time; 4.27 shuttle time; 38'' vert; 10'07'' broad jump - Barely missed both sections for the criteria. Makes sense that he showed nice potential in his rookie year, recording 4.5 sacks.

Tamba Hali: 7.28 3-cone time; 4.31 shuttle time; 30'' vert; 8'10'' broad jump - The only complete engima of the entire study. Had a break out year in the 3-4 despite poor times and and measurements. He gets by with a tremendous motor and good strength to go along with great pass rushing moves.

What I take from my study is that the linebackers who time under 7 second in the 3-cone drill generally are elite edge/speed rushers. This is probably because they have the agility, flexibility, and closing burst to dip and turn the corner without losing any of there speed. In essence, those are the things that the 3-cone drill tests you on and it seems as if 7 seconds is a decent barometer for it.

Even though there were only 3 players to fit section B of the criteria - although I wouldn't be suprised if Harrison and Suggs jumped the neccessary amount to be in it - its obvious to me why a player would be effective with those measurements. By having the tremendous combination of both jumping numbers, it shows the explosion the player might have. All 3 linebackers in this area (as well as Woodley, who just missed out) use there explosion and strength to get to the QB rather then there pure speed and ability to turn the corner.

In case you were wondering, there are 5 potential 3-4 OLB prospects in this year draft who fit one of these criteria's...

Von Miller: 6.70 3-cone time; 37'' vert; 10'06'' broad jump - Fits Section A (Had an amazing combine, ran the shuttle in 4.06 )

Justin Houston: 6.95 3-cone time; 36.5'' vert; 10'05'' broad jump - Fits Section A (barley under 7 seconds but has good size and jumped teriffic as well)

Dontay Moch: 42'' vert; 10'08'' broad jump; 7.09 3-cone time - Fits Section B (not to far off from fitting section A as well)

Sam Acho: 6.69 3-cone time; 33.5'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Fits Section A (suprising as I haven't seen this in his film)

Chris Carter: 6.88 3-cone time; 36'' vert; 09'06'' broad jump - Fits Section A (undersized but has great athletic ablity)

Last edited by BlaZeN37 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 am; edited 5 times in total
PhycoPantherFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good post.

Though I thought Houston was being regarded as a 4-3 DE now?

I guess he could go both ways?

Carolinakitten is the man!
Armanti Edwards: Carolina's WR of the future
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhycoPantherFan wrote:
Very good post.

Though I thought Houston was being regarded as a 4-3 DE now?

I guess he could go both ways?

Depends on who you talk to... He actually played OLB in the 3-4 this past year.
Jags

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Study on pass rushing 3-4 OLBs: 3-Cone Drill; Vert and B Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
With the recent movement the league is having towards 3-4 defenses, pass rushing OLBs are at a premium. Scouts are on the constant look out for the next college DE that there team can convert to OLB in this scheme, which has lead to more of these kinds of prospects being taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft (see: 2009). Finding an OLB for the 3-4 that has the ability to get double digit sacks seems to be very hit or miss in the draft. They are much harder to find then linebackers that can set the edge against the run and/or cover, but don't have an elite ability to get to the QB. Because of this, I feel as if you are only taking a potential 3-4 OLB in the first two rounds if you think he has that ability.

For this study I have pooled together 25 players that have spent atleast one year in the 3-4 as an OLB. This group consists of the players that have either been taken within the first two rounds of the draft, or ones that are viewed as good-great pass rushers. The only exceptions to this are Terrell Suggs, James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, and Calvin Pace not being in it due to them not perfoming the necessary drills.

I have made a two-part criteria that potentially shows the correlation between the results of the 3-cone drill, the vert, and the broad jump in relations to a prospects ability to rush the passer at the next level. Obviously 1,2, or even 3 measured/timed drills cannot guarantee a success in this skill at the next level, but its very intriguing to look at.

To fit section A of this criteria a player must have been timed doing the 3-cone drill under 7 seconds. For section B, the player must have jumped the vertical higher than 39'' AND have done the broad jump over 10'00''. Without further a due, here you go...

Section A - The 3-Cone Drill

Clay Matthews: 6.90 3-cone time; 4.18 shuttle time; 35.5'' vert; 10'01'' broad jump - 23.5 sacks in his first two seasons combined.

Shaun Phillips: 6.95 3-cone time; 4.21 shuttle time; 33'' vert; 09'06'' broad jump - Consistent pass rusher with two seasons with atleast 11 sacks and 4 seaons with atleast 7 sacks.

DeMarcus Ware: 6.85 3-cone time; 4.07 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 10'02'' broad jump - He almost fit into both sections of the criteria, to go along with a crazy shuttle time. It's not hard to see why he has had an insane 80 sacks in his first 6 seaons.

Kamerion Wimbley: 6.98 3-cone time; 4.48 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 10'09'' broad jump - 11 sacks as a rookie and 9 this past year.

Lawernce Timmons: 6.92 3-cone time; 4.32 shuttle time; 35'' vert; 10'03'' broad jump - Started his career as an OLB and has showen good pass rushing ablities before being moved inside.

Manny Lawson: 6.90 3-cone time; 4.21 shuttle time; 39.5'' vert; 10'04'' broad jump - Has not had many sacks in his career, while not starting early on in his career he lead the league this past year in QB pressures.

Connor Barwin: 6.87 3-cone time; 4.18 shuttle time; 40.5'' vert; 10'08'' broad jump - Actually has not played OLB yet, but projects there very well this year after showing a ton of pass rushing promise in his first season.

David Pollack: 6.87 3-cone time; 3.94 shuttle time; 37'' vert; 10'00'' broad jump - Showed the ability to be an elite pass rusher before he suffered a horrible spinal injury that ended his career.

Bobby Carpenter: 6.88 3-cone time; 4.31 shuttle time; no vert available; no broad jump available - Only player to fit in either section of the criteria that turned out to be a bust.

Section B - Vert & Broad Jump

Brian Orakpo: 39.5'' vert; 10'10'' broad jump; 7.26 3-cone time; 4.45 shuttle time - 19.5 sacks his first two years in the league.

Cameron Wake: 45.5'' vert; 10'10'' broad jump; 7.12 3-cone time; 4.13 shuttle time - Wow, no idea how this guy went undrafted with numbers like that. He broke out this past season (his 2nd in the NFL) with 14 sacks.

Shawne Merriman: 40'' vert; 10'01'' broad jump; no 3-cone time available; 4.21 shuttle time - 29.5 sacks his first 3 years in the league before 'roid gate and turning into glass.

Just missed - LaMarr Woodley: No 3-cone time available; 4.42 shuttle time; 38.5'' vert; 09'09'' broad jump - Very close to fitting into section B, although we don't know if he would have fit into section A due to not having a 3-cone time on file for him.

Players who fit neither criteria

Aaron Maybin: 7.52 3-cone time; 4.38 shuttle time; 38'' vert; 10'04'' broad jump - Has had 0 sacks in his first 2 seasons in the NFL, atleast he has not reached Gholston territory... yet.

Larry English: 7.26 3-cone time; 4.38 shuttle time; 36'' vert;
08'11'' broad jump - Only a total of 5 sacks in his first 2 seasons, very disappointing.

Robert Ayers: 7.56 3-cone time; 4.51 shuttle time; 29.5'' vert; 08'06'' broad jump - Has had injury problems, regardless he has shown little in the pass rushing department with only 1.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Paul Kruger: 7.52 3-cone time; 4.47 shuttle time; 32.5'' vert; 09'00'' broad jump - Been moved from OLB to DE, 1 sack his first 2 seasons.

Cody Brown: 7.10 3-cone time; 4.40 shuttle time; 36.5'' vert; 10'00 broad jump - Didn't even get to see the field, he was that poor.

Vernon Gholston: 7.12 3-cone time; 4.40 shuttle time; 35.5'' vert; 10'05'' broad jump - Recorded the grand total of 0 sacks in 3 years in the league... Ouch.

Quentin Groves: 7.31 3-cone drill; 4.42 shuttle time; 29.5'' vert; 10'00'' broad jump - Been an OLB in the Dolphin's 3-4 the past few years with little success.

Matt Roth: 7.65 3-cone time; 4.36 shuttle time; 32'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Decent all around OLB, but nothing more then a mediocre pass rusher with three seasons of 3.5 sacks.

Anthony Spencer: 7.14 3-cone time; 4.43 shuttle time; 32.5'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Solid pass rusher, but never threatens the double digit sack marker.

Sergio Kindle: 7.26 3-cone time; 4.53 shuttle time; 36.5'' vert; 09'10'' broad jump - Missed his rookie season with an injury, jury still out on him.

Koa Misi: 7.07 3-cone time; 4.27 shuttle time; 38'' vert; 10'07'' broad jump - Barely missed both sections for the criteria. Makes sense that he showed nice potential in his rookie year, recording 4.5 sacks.

Tamba Hali: 7.28 3-cone time; 4.31 shuttle time; 30'' vert; 8'10'' broad jump - The only complete engima of the entire study. Had a break out year in the 3-4 despite poor times and and measurements. He gets by with a tremendous motor and good strength to go along with great pass rushing moves.

What I take from my study is that the linebackers who time under 7 second in the 3-cone drill generally are elite edge/speed rushers. This is probably because they have the agility, flexibility, and closing burst to dip and turn the corner without losing any of there speed. In essence, those are the things that the 3-cone drill tests you on and it seems as if 7 seconds is a decent barometer for it.

Even though there were only 3 players to fit section B of the criteria - although I wouldn't be suprised if Harrison and Suggs jumped the neccessary amount to be in it - its obvious to me why a player would be effective with those measurements. By having the tremendous combination of both jumping numbers, it shows the explosion the player might have. All 3 linebackers in this area (as well as Woodley, who just missed out) use there explosion and strength to get to the QB rather then there pure speed and ability to turn the corner.

In case you were wondering, there are 4 potential 3-4 OLB prospects in this year draft who fit one of these criteria's...

Justin Houston: 6.95 3-cone time; 36.5'' vert; 10'05'' broad jump - Fits Section A (barley under 7 seconds but has good size and jumped teriffic as well)

Dontay Moch: 42'' vert; 10'08'' broad jump; 7.09 3-cone time - Fits Section B (not to far off from fitting section A as well)

Sam Acho: 6.69 3-cone time; 33.5'' vert; 09'04'' broad jump - Fits Section A (suprising as I haven't seen this in his film)

Chris Carter: 6.88 3-cone time; 36'' vert; 09'06'' broad jump - Fits Section A (undersized but has great athletic ablity)

FYI Quentin Groves never played in a legit 3-4. He played for the Jags 2 years as a 4-3 d-lineman and we played 3-4 very few times. Just a few looks of 3-4 then gave up on it because wrong personnel and staff to run it.

He went to Oakland where he now plays 4-3 LB and has had his best season thus-far. Never truly was a 3-4 LB and never played for the Dolphins. Not to be a jerk, but please do not be down on a player that you have posted about without proper research.

I also think u have Quentin Groves confused with Quentin Moses.

With that being said great post and this was being discussed earlier and the correlations are pretty accurate.

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, I did confuse his with Quinton Moses. I'm just going to take him out of the study. Groves is actually someone I really wanted for the Jets 3-4 when he came out of Auburn. No need to state I need to do my "proper research", when I spent almost 10 hours on this. I made a mistake by swapping players, had nothing to do with lack of research. Easy mistake considering there 1 draft apart from each other, same first name, same size, same position (sort of), and one was drafted by the Raiders where as the other is on the Raiders.

And did you really have to quote my entire post just to make that point? Page strettcchhhh Laughing .
JetsBoi2124

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I'm really blown away by the study you did. I personally never thought that these specific combine drills would have a correlation to production in the NFL. What you put together shows that it's very true. In that case I would love for the Jets to select Justin Houston, even though some scouts are saying that he can't stand up and that he is a 4-3 DE, I disagree.

Great Job btw. Very Happy
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing this kind of data in regards to the players' 10 yard splits. While it is nothing more than a subset stat based on the 40 yard dash, it's a good barometer on how a player can "time their launch" based on audible sounds and get up to top speed when prompted to run.

IIRC, the 10 yard split rage really hit a peak when Clay Matthews ran a sub 1.6 10 yard split. One can make the direct correlation of Matthews' reaction time and ability to get to top speed right off the bat as one of the key pieces of his pass rushing skill (it's that and the hair, IMO).

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing this kind of data in regards to the players' 10 yard splits. While it is nothing more than a subset stat based on the 40 yard dash, it's a good barometer on how a player can "time their launch" based on audible sounds and get up to top speed when prompted to run.

IIRC, the 10 yard split rage really hit a peak when Clay Matthews ran a sub 1.6 10 yard split. One can make the direct correlation of Matthews' reaction time and ability to get to top speed right off the bat as one of the key pieces of his pass rushing skill (it's that and the hair, IMO).

I can tell you that there is not much correlation. I have a list of pretty much every pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the past 8 years or so (about 30 players), along with there combine numbers that I compiled. There really is no real pattern with them and they flucuate a lot. There are players who you think would have great ten yard splits who don't and there are players who you would not expect them to have good splits and they did. It seems like a wash in someways, and has more to do with getting out of a track stance faster more so then anything else.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the 10 yard splits for everyone that had them...

Clay Matthews - 1.49
Shaun Phillips - 1.68
Cam Wake - 1.63
Brian Orakpo - 1.56
DeMarcus Ware - 1.62
Tamba Hali - 1.65
LaMarr Woodley - 1.65
Kamerion Wimbley - 1.60
Lawernce Timmons - 1.65
Sergio Kindle - 1.65
Aaron Maybin - 1.57
Larry English - 1.61
Robert Ayers - 1.62
Paul Kruger - 1.60
Cody Brown - 1.62
Vernon Gholston - 1.53
Bobby Carpenter - 1.59
David Pollack - 1.67
Matt Roth - 1.68
Koa Misi - 1.64
Manny Lawson - 1.55
Connor Barwin - 1.53
Anthony Spencer - 1.64

Kind of hard to take this stat serious when Kamerion Wimbley performed better then DeMarcus Ware. You can however take something away from Matthews split because it is so much better then everyone elses. But seems like theres no correlation and on-field diffrence between a 1.54 split and a 1.61 split. Hell, Vernon Ghlolston did it in 1.53 and I can say first hand he never fired off the line well.
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent study. I've done something similar in the past.

I never made the split explosive and flexible groups. Interesting.

I've always preached that you want a vert of 35", a broad of 10', a cone of about 7.10 or under, a shuttle of under 4.2, at least 20 reps, a 40 of at least 4.8, and 10 under 4.65.

Meet ALL of those criteria and you have a guy that will probably be reasonably decent at playing 3-4 OLB. Miss on one number, the guy still has a chance, miss on multiple #'s and the guy is a huge risk.

A couple of guys that GB has that were picked up to play the position:

Frank Zombo, UDFA, 4 sacks as a rookie (plus 1 in the Superbowl, didn't play in the other postseason games, hurt ankle, didn't start until a few games into the season)
6'3", 254 lb, 4.75 40, 1.61 10, 23 reps, 35.5" vert, 10'2" long, 4.34 shuttle, 7.07 cone

Not elite by any means, and has no wow to his game, but all n' all he's a decent player. His workouts are pretty much paint that picture too. You also have to figure that he was an UDFA and not invited to the combine, and likely didn't have near the level of training at the drills that the rd 1/2 guys had.

Brad Jones, round 7, 4 sacks as a rookie (started half of '09 after Kamp went down with a knee, was on IR most of '10, but entered the year as GB's starter)
6'3", 232 lb, 4.54 40, 1.59 10, 19 reps, 33" vert, 9'11" long, 4.21 shuttle, 6.75 cone

Again, not elite by any means. He's not a fearsome pass rusher, but does have a speed rush with good bend (little else). However, if you look at those #'s, they are darn near DB #'s, and from day 1 he was really good dropping into coverage. It could be said that Clay's emergence was heavily tied to Jones taking over for Kamp, Kamp wasn't good at dropping and rushed the majority of the time, hence Clay had to drop a lot, when Jones came in Clay rushed a lot more as Jones could handle the zone drops. Obviously there are issues here, Jones was really small and has been bulking up. His injury this year is also an old one he had on draft day, it just got worse (shoulder). You can read his game in his #'s though, decent speed rush around the outside, good dropping into coverage. Not much in the run stopping and power rush department. Again, like Zombo, he was not invited to the combine and likely did not have that good of drill training.

One thing worth looking at with 3-4 OLB's is the shuttle-40 relationship. Subtract the shuttle time from the 40 time. Those with >0.5 tend to be good all around players at the position, that is they make good linebackers, and not just pass rushers. The exception to this rule at LB's are the turbo guys that can run really fast, overcoming their lack of COD skills with raw speed (at least under 4.6 40).

Pass coverage ability can almost always be read in the 3 cone at the position. Guy that do good at it (<7.1) are typically not a liability dropping. Guys that do great at it (a la Jones above) if they have awareness should have pass dropping as a strength of theirs, as Jones does. This holds true at all LB positions, not just 3-4 OLB. The 3 cone is a good test of LB pass coverage raw physical ability.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
Here's the 10 yard splits for everyone that had them...

Clay Matthews - 1.49
Shaun Phillips - 1.68
Cam Wake - 1.63
Brian Orakpo - 1.56
DeMarcus Ware - 1.62
Tamba Hali - 1.65
LaMarr Woodley - 1.65
Kamerion Wimbley - 1.60
Lawernce Timmons - 1.65
Sergio Kindle - 1.65
Aaron Maybin - 1.57
Larry English - 1.61
Robert Ayers - 1.62
Paul Kruger - 1.60
Cody Brown - 1.62
Vernon Gholston - 1.53
Bobby Carpenter - 1.59
David Pollack - 1.67
Matt Roth - 1.68
Koa Misi - 1.64
Manny Lawson - 1.55
Connor Barwin - 1.53
Anthony Spencer - 1.64

Kind of hard to take this stat serious when Kamerion Wimbley performed better then DeMarcus Ware. You can however take something away from Matthews split because it is so much better then everyone elses. But seems like theres no correlation and on-field diffrence between a 1.54 split and a 1.61 split. Hell, Vernon Ghlolston did it in 1.53 and I can say first hand he never fired off the line well.

Um... Pretty sure that was his biggest draw in.

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
Supersuavesky wrote:

Okay.

Sacramento is a finals team now folks. Laughing

yeah so? Would anyone here disagree?
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great study. Thanks for sharing.

After seeing Cam Wake's numbers I'm shocked he wasn't drafted. Those are ridiculous numbers. 45 inch vert? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this on 49ers MB. A guy posted something like this before the draft. I've said before the 10 yrd split is overrated. BJ, 3 cone and shuttle time is what to look for. Nice post. I've always been higher than most on Houston(top 15) and Acho(early 2nd rd) @ OLB. All they did was confirm what I saw on tape. Nice post by the way.

Not sure what u mean by Lawson not starting early in his career. He's been a starter since early on in his rook year. He's not a good pass rusher.

Last edited by sherm on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what universe did Manny Lawson lead the NFL in QB Pressures?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW you missed Von Miller on the list of prospects that fits into group A.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: