You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reese Taking a Page From 1999?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reese Taking a Page From 1999? Reply with quote

This may be a stupid post, but it's a slow time and I figured this would at least give us something to think about.

Today, I was curious, and I looked up the Titans 1999 roster aka The Superbowl season. As I was viewing this, I noticed some interesting similarities in that roster to the current one. Just to avoid someone calling me an idiot for comparing the two, try to remember I'm comparing the structure of the team and not the talent of the players.

Here's our current team:
http://titansonline.com/team/players/name.php

Here's the 1999 team:
http://www.oakridger.com/superbowl/titans_roster.html

I could do a huge breakdown of this, but it's too late and I'm too tired. I'll just point out the most obvious things.

Now: We have a young, scrambling QB and a decent starter ( better backup) in Volek.

1999: We had a young, scrambling starting QB ( Mac) and a good backup ( O'Donnel)

Now: we have a young powerback that was an extremely successfull college athlete. Currently, we have much better depth than we did in the past, though.

1999: We had a young powerback that was the Heisman winner.

Now: We have one very talented DT, Big Al, and a good rotation of DT's to go along with it; Long, Flyin Hawaiin, Starks, and Clauss. KVB is a sack machine that came out of nowhere. We also have 2 high potential guys that haven't fulfilled their capacity yet.

1999: They had 4 very solid DT's with Fisk, Salavea, Henry Ford, and Josh Evans. Kearse came out of nowhere and had 14.5 sacks. Also, Kenny Holmes was OK, but hadn't reached his potential. Let's hope that LaBoy and Odom don't take the route Holmes did.

Now: The linebacking corp is much more talented than in 1999, but notice that in '99 they were all great athletes much like now. Did Floyd give up on trying to get the more polished LB and revert to the past?

Now: In the secondary, we have a very young guy that has all the talent in the world ( Pacman), but still needs to prove himself. Also, the corners as a whole are pretty young. The safeties will most likely be solid, but not spectacular. Hope should also add a leadership quality ala Marcus Robertson.

1999: They had a rookie in Samari Rolle, and a bunch of relative unknown, youthfull players at CB, Jenkins, Phenix, Mitchell, Sidney. The safeties rarely screwed up, but they weren't exactly great stat wise that year.

Now: We have a pretty young O-line with several unproven talents. Stewart has drawn comparison early on to Jon Runyan. Mawae is a vet on the downside of his career, but he's still one of the tops in the league. Kevin also adds great leadership to the team. Bell is still trying to find his place at RT or OG.

1999: Jon Runyan was fairly young and a huge road grader. Bruce Matthews was a vet who was about to hang up his cleats. Also, he was a great leader. Benji Olson was a rook or 2nd year guy who was still figuring things out. Zach Pillar was trying to find his place at RT or OG. The only realy difference is that Hopkins was much more proven than Roos.

Now: We have a reliable guy that won't make huge plays, but won't let you down with Kinney. We also have a young playmaker with Troupe, and good depth with Scaife.

1999: They had a very reliable guy with Wycheck. Kinney was in his rookie season. He wasn't nearly the playmaker Troupe is/ could be.

Now: Pacman showed last year he is one of the best return men in the league. Every time he touches the ball he is a threat to take it all the way.

1999: Derrick Mason was an amazing punt returner much like Pac man.

There are a few differences. Al Del Greco was a better kicker than Bironas is now, but not by a lot. Craig Hentrich isn't what he was in 1999. Young hasn't even played yet nor had LenDale. The O-line was much more talented back then. I believe our recieving corp is vastly greater than in '99 as is our LB corp. The corners have the chance to be better than in '99.

So, does anyone else see the how closely related these teams are or am I reaching on this one?

"Tina you fat, lard come get your dinner"
Pacman=future

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya your right great analysis. we are similar in many ways. i do think the big difference is at QB and RB. with young and white and mcnair and george. but in the long run. i dont see us going that far. but a decent season might be in order. Wink

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post. Some of those could be coincidence, but I think it's mostly due to a vision of what a team should look like. The only thing that concerns me is they seem to be gathering a lot of WR's - which is counter to the grind it out style we had with Eddie in his prime. I guess I would take that to mean they think we may have gone all the way had our WR corps been a bit more complete.

Adopt a Titan 2017: Derrick Henry and Mike Mularkey
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been better to look at the '97 or '98 teams to see how they looked before the Superbowl run and when McNair and George were unproven.

I also thought that about the recieving corp. In '99, Dyson was the teams best and leading reciever. Eddie George was the third leading reciever which tells you something about the targets McNair had. Maybe Reese is making darn sure that the QB will have targets if he gets another shot at it.

"Tina you fat, lard come get your dinner"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: