Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running Back BPA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFD1717

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Running Back BPA? Reply with quote

With all of the different ways the Texans could go, it seems that they will truly take the Best Player Available - and there is a good chance that the highest rated player on their board will be a running back.

I know every mock draft has The Big 3 going in the top 10 picks, but how many mock drafts had Steven Jackson going to St. Louis? One of the Big 3 will drop to 13, and it will probably be Benson. Ronnie Brown would be a perfect fit in Houston, but I think he will be gone. If Cadillac is there, I think they pass on him because he is so similar to D. Davis. Benson, though, would be tough to pass on. Capers loves big powerful backs, and Benson gets it done between the tackles. He is also an underrated blocker and reciever. Davis is damn good, but I don't think they can count on him for 25 carries a game for an entire year. They owe it to Davis to find somebody he can split carries with, otherwise his career will be very short. Benson would even give them an opportunity to put Davis in the slot on some plays.

Thoughts?
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of grabbing the BPA, but I don't know if we should take a running back. I don't like Dom Davis and think we need another running back, but without a good offensive line we'd be taking a running back and sending him to the slaughter. On the flip side tho, if we grabbed Benson (I'd prefer Brown too) in the first, and then some O-line help in the next few rounds, we might have a potent offense. I really think we need another two playmakers on defense tho (especially with the pending trade of Sharper), and I would settle for guys like Odell Thurman and Donte Nicholson in the second and third rounds. This has to be the draft where we add the final pieces that make us a competitive team.
texan0305

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: what we need Reply with quote

ya theres so many mixed reports right now, i read in the chronicle about one of the big three falling off, more than likely it'll be benson, but i'm not sold on benson's character, this coming from a guy that would rather win the heisman than beat ou, u know how much casserly and capers like a guy with character, i dont know though i could be wrong i hope i am if we draft the guy, also a quick thought on benson, i think it would be good for the offense if he's a playmaker, it'll open up the offense, you could possibly have a 3 headed monster with carr, johnson, and benson, that sounds like a really good tandem, dom would love a guy that's a ball control type of back, someone to eat up the clock and gain yards, i still think they'll go bpa whoever that is this draft is so wide open it'll be interesting
AFD1717

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Benson has some character questions, but I think they are all overblown. I live in Austin and I am a die hard longhorn so I might be biased, but I'm not worried about Benson's character. The most ridiculous thing I've heard is that Cedric idolizes Ricky, so he'll be a flake like Ricky is.

I think Benson and Davis would be a great combination. Davis provides the explosiveness that Benson lacks, but Benson has the ability to pound you for 25 carries a game.

Ronnie Brown would be an even better fit because of his blocking ability, recieving ability, being used to sharing the ball, and his willingness to play fullback at times (Davis and Brown in the same backfield!), but if we are truly looking for a power back between the tackles - I think Benson is a better power back than Brown despite not being quite as big.

Benson would be great here, but if we don't grab him, maybe Shelton or Kay Jay Harris will be available later. I like Shelton from Louisville a lot.
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you draft Benson, you aren't taking him to share carries with Davis, you are taking him to replace Davis. Personally, I think that the Texans are better off keeping Davis and taking a bigger back in the later rounds.

At the same time, I thought that Wells did a pretty decent job stepping in when asked last year and the jury is still out on Hollings, who the Texans spent a 2nd round pick on(which I felt was at least a round too high).

I think that unless Brown is there at 13, which isn't likely, then you skip whatever RB is available and look at the next best player.
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible to see benson slipping to H-town but if not they need to take the best OL and keep david carr standing long enough to get them in the playoffs
AFD1717

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that the best OL (Alex Barron) is all that much better than some of the guys they could get later. I'd be just as happy with David Baas in the second as I would be with Barron in the first. Everybody's down on Seth Wand (deservedly) but Wiegert sucks just as bad. At least Wand isn't injury prone and could possibly get better. They can signifigantly upgrade their line without burning a first round pick.
texan0305

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Barron Reply with quote

Barron will most likely go to detroit, they had a left tackle name mcdougol or something im not familiar with the name anyways they opted not to resign him so that might be a sign, that they might pick up barron, again i hate to harp on this but the texans will instill a new format on the offensive side, there going to keep more blockers in the box and allow their receivers to be playmakers, they feel as if they're line at the moment has room for improvement but they want to create a unit a group of guys that have a feel for blocking besides each other, plus the zone blocking scheme so personally i like the idea but they still need atheletes, with the new style of offense there better off going with a wide receiver, if they go through with what has been said your going to need a reliable #2 receiver, the reason why is so defenses dont roll their coverage on to aj's side, so with a ball control offense (with davis) and a good wide receiving core that possibly in their eyes will open the line to becoming much better, yes i know carr has been sacked like crazy, but maybe jus maybe this will work, setting him up with 2 or 3 step drops and letting his arm do the work isnt' a bad idea, so my gut feeling on this with how the texans are aproaching the draft is that they will NOT draft a offensive lineman they'll go with a playmaker but thats jus my gut feeling..... any thoughts feel free to comment
dabs21nike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Davis a restricted free agent after this season. I heard somewhere that the Texans would let him leave. He would definitely be gone if they got Benson, he will be great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: yes... Reply with quote

yea i believe so but i just dont see benson droping to 13 it'll definately be interesting if he's at 13 a possibility is that the texans trade down if a team is really interested
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, unless some guy we really love is available at 13, I think the best bet is to trade down. We need to add a bunch of little pieces to our team in this draft, and don't really need 1 impact player. I think in the first we could really use an edge rusher from our OLB position. A guy like Demarcus Ware or Justin Tuck would be available later in the first round. Shawne Merriman would be nice, but will probably be gone by 13. And if we add some extra picks we could grab some WR, OL, DL and S help in the next few rounds. Guys like Chris Canty, CJ Mosely, Donte Nicholson, David Baas, Adam Terry,etc would be nice pieces for us to add.

So I could really see us trading down from our spot. And it would probably be the best decision.
AFD1717

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone back and forth about 100 times on who I think the Texans should draft, but I'm thinking somebody like Troy Williamson is the way to go if they stay around 13 and Benson isn't available. If they can get extra picks by trading down a few spots - jump on it as long as they don't go past about 25.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of hype about that Williamson guy but I'm really not sure if he's the way to go. I just think that there are too many glaring weaknesses to spend a high pick on a guy like this. There are some guys in the 2nd or 3rd who might be able to fill the number 2 spot admirably. Personally, I'd like to see them trade down and getting another 2nd rounder or even a 1st rounder next year.
AFD1717

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't initially sold on Williamson either, but nobody disputes his size speed and hands. Playing in a run first offense has tought him to block, so all he needs is some coaching on his route running. I agree that trading down to get more picks is something they should DEFINATELY try to do, but I wouldn't be upset if they ended up with Williamson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: