Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinsrule13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Wr Reply with quote

From what I have read it seems to me that the safest draft pick would have to be one of the top WR. From what I have read it seems to be that Braylon Edwards is going to be a dominate Wr in the NFL. I love Chris Chambers, and I believe he can be great. But, I believe with edwards they can be dominate. If we get edwards it will be easy for feeley to succed. We have seen how much a Wr can change the game with randy moss. The vikings were nothing without randy. Now im not saying that one wr will send you to the superbowl but they can make you into a playoff team. If I am thinking wrong please tell me but does anyone else think the same way I do, because I see hardly anyone with us picking Edwards in there mock.
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason there aren't any mock drafts that have Miami picking Edwards are because most mock drafters map team needs to talent available, and then go from there.

If you'll pardon me up on my soapbox for a moment, most major mock drafters usually develop their mock drafts weeks in advance and do so very conservatively in order to look intelligent and appear that they actually knew what they were talking about when in reality they don't have a clue. I was reading mock drafts in February and March that said Miami would be taking Cedric Benson because their power running offense needed a replacement for Ricky Williams. My thoughts were "Huh? Didn't we just hire a new head coach who's going to run a different offense and you're telling me that we're going to be running the same damn offense that we have for the last 3 years?" I didn't buy it. So, I've stopped paying attention to the mock drafts. They're about as accurate a weather forecast for a week and a half from now only there's less science involved to back them up.

Another things that bothers me is that too many NFL "writers" (a.k.a., talking heads) think that, if your team doesn't have a Pro Bowler or 1st round pick at a position, then you have a need. Thinking like this is one of the reasons why I love Bill Belichick: he expects that his players can do what's asked of them. If the starter goes down, then the backup will step up. He's gotten more production out of supposedly "lesser" talent than any other head coach I can recall. Randall Gay went undrafted out of LSU but started at CB in the Super Bowl and didn't embarass himself at all. Im sure that the geniuses at ESPN are still wondering how he did it.

Another reason that you don't see Miami taking Edwards on a lot of mock drafts is because a lot of people don't know who the 49ers will take. About the same time most of the mocks changed Miami's selection from Benson to Brown, rumors started about Edwards as a possible 1st overall pick.
FF Member #1031
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Edwards would be a great pick. I would still take Brown, however, as he has the potential to be an LT type player...

My dream though, is to trade down and get a 2nd this year and a high pick next year as well, and be able to still take Brown or still take anEdwards/DJ/Caddy/Benson.

Anyone have any info on the private workouts. I know Parrish, Rolle, and Myers from U of M are to eb looked at...
PennState

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts on the second overall pick.

First choice... trade it. I dont know if this will happen. The NFL is a copycat league and they have all learned from the evil genius (Belichek) that you can manage the cap much better without locking huge amounts of money into early 1st round picks. Thus, most teams will not want to give the full value to trade up to get the 2nd pick, because they don't want to invest the salary against the cap. Just look at the poor ole' Browns. They picked fairly safe 1st round choices (Courtney Brown was a much more solid citizen than LaVaar Arrington who was picked just after him, and he certainly wasn't injury prone when he was in State College, PA). Almost every expert agreed with the Browns choice of Courtney. Then they took Gerrard Warren with the 3rd pick. I am a fan of the Gators as well, and he was a great college player, but he was a total bust. The Tim Couch pick was in the year of the QB in which he, the 3rd pick (Akili Smith) and the 11th pick (McNown) were all huge busts. All of these 'Bust' picks cost their teams huge hits in the cap. It doesn't take a genius to understand that 'sure things' out of the draft are not always SURE THINGS in the NFL. Saban and Belichek know this. However if we cant get value for the pick in a trade, it would be better to use it on a potential star IMHO.

2. BPA. This is obviously up to great debate. My BPA has changed from Brown to Edwards. Saban knows WAY MORE than any of us rabid fans, so I will trust him completely in his choice. Remember when Philly fans booed the choice of Donovan over Ricky? The fans arent always right Laughing . WR can be hit or miss talents and I've posted earlier about the fact that only 2 WR have ever been picked with the 1st overall pick, and only 1 WR has been picked with the 2nd overall pick (Charles Rogers) in the last 25 years. However if Edwards is that kind of guy, than lets get him.

3. Ronnie Brown is interesting, but can he play a full season in the NFL as a feature back? Maybe. Hey Priest Holmes never played much behind Ricky at Texas and he has been an ok pro huh? lol.

4. Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers? My least favorite choices. They do not have the huge upside that Eli Manning did, but they have all the risk of taking an early round QB. I would rather give Feeley a chance (You have to respect the guy's toughness... ie; the Seattle game, when he could barely walk he still played pretty well)

Just some Sunday morning thoughts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: