Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders College Football Scouting Report Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ima_boss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
I have done some scouting of a few prospects and want to share my opinions on them. I would appreciate feedback from anybody with any knowledge of these players.

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, WR, Iowa: After watching this kid extensively I am very impressed with what I see. I think he is extremely underrated and is being overlooked because of the depth at WR in this draft. DJK has very good speed, pretty good size, and has loads of experience. The thing I like the most about him though are his hands. He snatches the ball effortlessly away from his body. Another big plus that sticks out to me are his routes. Because he has gotten so much playing time his routes have improved dramatically every season. He does a phenomenal job of setting up corners. He excels going over the middle, and this sets up double moves later on. He just knows how to run routes, and he comes across as a real student of the game because of his knowledge of the entire route tree. This is the type of guy that we need that should be around in the late third or early fourth round. He could be perfect for this offense because he would give us a sure handed WR that will go over the middle and make tough catches. He is reliable, dependable and overall a very solid football player. Be on the lookout for my top 10 WR prospects closer to the draft, I expect DJK to be on it.

Mason Foster, LB, Washington: Foster is by far my favorite LB in this draft. I didnt list him at a specific LB spot because I think he has the ability to play anywhere along the LB core. He has outstanding instincts and solid technique. He always seems to be around the football. He sheds blocks well, but will over pursue plays at times. One thing that always comes up with guys that play with little talent around them, is how good could they be with real players around him. I think Foster would benefit hugely with a defensive line in front of him that can take some pressure off of him. Look for Mason to go anywhere from the third to fifth round.

Pierre Allen, DE, Nebraska: Allen might be a guy that has benefited from having a ton of talent on the defensive line with him, but he still looks like a good prospect to me. He has good technique and isnt a liability against the run. He has a good motor and seems to have been coached well. I think he is one of those guys that will make better pro players then college players because of his technique and ability to use his hands, as well as having even more talent around him. He isnt a guy that is going to make a huge impact right away, but with some guidance by a guy like Mike Waufle he could become a solid part of a rotation and become a good pass rusher. At this moment he is probably a 5th to 6th round pick.

If you can, try to watch some of Edmund Gates, WR of Abilene Christian. I think this guy could be pretty good and wouldn't mind him as a 4th rounder. I really like his upside, has 4.4 speed and plays faster than that b/c of his quickness and burst. He is great in the open field, but he is a little bit raw. He needs to polish up his route running and overall technique, but he is very intriguing. Check him out. I love him more and more every time I watch him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good fit. (Nate Irving, LB, North Carolina State)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaribouLou wrote:
It's crazy to see Jeff Maehl's name on these boards. He went to my high school and I actually know him. His number just got retired for our high school. Seen him at parties and such. Would love to see him in S&B. He simply makes plays.

Yea I'm a huge fan of his, thats pretty cool that you know him, I dont think anybody from my school has ever made it big in football. This is the first time I've ever picked a guy during the season that I really think will make an impact as a late round pick. I will be keeping my eye on him next year and would love for him to be a Raider if we don't land a top WR in the 2nd. We need a C in a bad way, but it would be so tough to pass up on Locker or a WR like Floyd in the 2nd.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another couple of write ups to share.

Greg Jones, OLB, Michigan St: I have seen a ton of Jones since he started his career with Michigan St. He has been a starter at MLB since his freshman year and he has improved every year. I project him as a WLB at the next level, he doesnt have a huge frame and I think that hurts his chances of becoming a MLB in the NFL. Jones flies around the football field, and does a great job of making plays in the backfield. He has elite speed in terms of LBs. The other thing that sticks out to me is how sound of a tackler he is. He displays perfect technique and wraps the ball carrier up. The guy just doesnt miss tackles. He is so seasoned that he very rarely is fooled by play action or misdirection, he has top notch instincts for a LB. According to everything I have been able to read about him he is the leader of that football team and works harder then everyone else. Some of the negatives that surround him are his size like I mentioned. He is only 230 pounds and I question how much weight could be put on his frame. His lack of size causes problems when a LB get their hands on him. He tries to shed blocks the right way, but sometimes his lack of size is too much to overcome. He isnt a big time bone crushing hitter. He is more of a wrap up sure tackler. That isnt a huge problem, but its something that you notice when you watch him. I think Jones is the perfect type of LB to put on the weak side next to McClain. His incredible speed could really benefit Rolando and ultimately make him better. The bad thing is that Jones is a second round prospect at this point. I dont love the idea of using our second round pick on a OLB, especially considering the value we could get later in the draft, but I do love the idea of making Greg Jones a Raider. If he somehow fell to the third round we should jump all over him.

Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson: I have just recently started to watch some tape of Jenkins so I want to make it clear that I havent seen a ton of stuff on him. The things I have noticed are impressive though. He is very athletic and very strong at the point of attack. He does a great job of using a quick first step and powerful hands to push the pocket back immediately after the snap. I have seen two or three plays where he blew right through the line and grabbed the QB before he could even make the hand off. Jenkins will over pursue plays at times, and will leave cutback lanes that hurt the team. He is still very raw and makes some really dumb mistakes, but with good coaching and time to develop he could turn into a heck of a DT at the NFL level. I have seen projections for him that have him going in the third round, those may be true because of his great athletic ability, but personally I wouldnt touch him before the late fourth or fifth round (I would snatch him up in the fifth, thats great value because of his potential alone). He is just going to take some time to develop, and I question how much of an impact he could make early in his career.

Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virgina: I was really looking forward to watching this guy this season, however injuries have caused him to miss most of the season. He is a guy that should have came out last season when his stock was high. He reminds me a lot of his former teammate that a lot of people here were high on last draft, Chris Cook. When I got to watch him last season I came away impressed. He has long arms, he likes to press at the line, and he is very physical. He isnt a burner but he has deceptive speed because he is a long strider. There really isnt a ton to dislike about the kid except for the fact that sometimes he can be too aggressive and draw flags, and now the injury concerns. He has good but not great balls kills. He does have 8 career ints, but after looking back at a few of those I could have made the pick. On at least 2 occasions it came across as he was the WR. I have no idea where the QB was throwing the ball. If he would have came out last season he would have been a first round pick imo, but after the injury bug hit who knows. Probably somewhere in the second round, but its possible he could slip further.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this would be very nice:

2: Benjamin Ijalana, RT, Villanova
3: Kristofer O'Dowd, C, USC [Falls because of injury history]
4: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
5: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh [Falls because of injuries, like Greg Hardy]
6: Kris Adams, WR, UTEP
7: Andrew Jackson, G, Fresno State

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
alex_93 wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon 6'1" 185 lbs

As a Ducks fan, I feel obligated to add Maehl to our scouting list. Jeff Maehl is no AJ Green or Julio Jones. He is far from flashy, doesn't have the fastest 40 (4.5's), and -until this year- didnt have incredible numbers. Last year he had decent numbers with 53 catches, 696 yds and 6 TDs for Oregon's run-first, run-second, and run-third offense.

Now they are opening up the passing game and through 8 games he has 47 rec for 675 yards and 9 TDs. I have been watching Oregon, and Maehl, play for years and this is what I see: a tough, scrappy WR who runs good routes, knows how to get open, catches the ball with his hands, rarely drops a ball, and even has decent moves after the catch. He is a decent blocker, does not shy away from contact as a pass catcher or blocker, and has never fumbled in 36 starts. He is not typically the "take over a game" type of WR, but has had a few dominant games already this year (10 rec 119 yds 1 TD vs. Washington, 8 rec 145 yds 3 TD vs. USC). His great hands, great routes and less-than-elite speed would fool you into calling him a possession receiver, but he makes plays after the catch with his quickness and shiftiness. He runs deep routes well and will go over the middle and make the tough catches even when he knows he is about to get flattened. IMO, he could be a Wes Welker-type player in the NFL.

His only real negatives are his less-than-ideal size, he possesess only average speed, he does not possess much of a second gear, and he plays in a spread option offense.

Many sources project him to be a 5th-7th round pick, and is consistently ranked around the 60th WR in the 2011 class. Even with the great season he is having, he should last until the later rounds of the draft and would be worth a look after we address OL, NT, LB and maybe CB. Bottom line: Jeff Maehl is the anti- Raiders WR: not fast (although quick), great route-running, and great hands.

He looked pretty good tonite vs SC. Wouldn't mind him as a 5th-ish if he's there. Boy do we really need somebody that can always be counted on not named Zach Miller

No doubt. Obviously, we would all love AJ Green or any of the other elite guys coming out, but with our laundry list of needs I really think Maehl would be worth a look late in the draft. The dude catches everything thrown at him and is always open. We havent had a WR with great hands for a long time. I think he could be a good in the slot with Murphy and DHB/Chaz on the outside.

What a dilemma if Green, Baldwin or Floyd fell to us and was BPA. Do we go O-line or WR. I would go WR, O-line can be built in later rounds. In rounds 3-5 you can get good guards, Centres and RT's. I would love O'dowd though.

No way Green falls to us, if he falls to the mid first I would be screaming to trade up for him. If Baldwin were to fall we would probably have to take him. Floyd hasnt looked great this season, he looks soft to me. I would probably want OL over him. We have to build the OL at some point, and there will be some pretty good WRs that hit the FA market this season. Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Mike Sims-Walker, Steve Breaston, James Jones, and Mark Clayton are all free agents this off season I believe. I would like to see us make a push for Sidney Rice, MSW, or Braylon Edwards and build the trenches in the draft.

Another question, what if Jake Locker fell to us in the second round? It might have seemed impossible last year, but if Clausen can fall it makes you wonder. Locker has been somewhat exposed this season, and I would have more faith in developing a QB with Hue Jackson here then I would have in the past.

Stay away from Locker there are two reasons
First heís too raw and needs a lot of coaching he's more of an athlete than a Football player.
Second heís a good baseball player, if things donít go his way he might leave and go play baseball

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401955
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyron Smith has declared. He needs more size but would give us the most freakish O-Line in the history of the league (Veldheer = freak Gallery = freak OC = Need one Bruce Campbell = Freak Tyron Smith = Freak).

We could tour them boys around the country Wink

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Tyron Smith has declared. He needs more size but would give us the most freakish O-Line in the history of the league (Veldheer = freak Gallery = freak OC = Need one Bruce Campbell = Freak Tyron Smith = Freak).

Well what do you mean he's a freak but needs more size? If he doesn't seem to be able to handle 3-4 NT's then its a waste of time since we already have that issue. We could've just picked that crappy G with face paint from TT last year if we wanted freaks.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
91jmay wrote:

Well what do you mean he's a freak but needs more size? If he doesn't seem to be able to handle 3-4 NT's then its a waste of time since we already have that issue. We could've just picked that crappy G with face paint from TT last year if we wanted freaks.

Why would a OT need to handle 3-4 NTs? Not many run plays call for that kind of downhill slide.

Have you seen him?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/441092.jpg

He is a freak of nature. Just like Gallery, Veldheer and Bruce.

Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
91jmay wrote:

Why would a OT need to handle 3-4 NTs? Not many run plays call for that kind of downhill slide.

Have you seen him?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/441092.jpg

He is a freak of nature. Just like Gallery, Veldheer and Bruce.

My bad. I stopped after OC = need and assumed Walker was on there. He is a freak in his own right. And no, I haven't seen him, evidenced by assuming he was a center lol. Thats why I asked.

EDIT:

from looking at this thread it seems like he'd be a much better fit at LT than RT. We could move Veldheer, I guess but I'd rather keep him at LT if the guy we're considering replacing him with has some issues. Wouldn't be mad if we picked him but I'd prefer other players. He is a Trojan though Smile

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...

Last edited by Silver&Black88 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs Wink

He is a athletic demon, his tape isn't too bad either. Be shocked if he drops past 20# so not really a Raider prospect for this draft (then again he could drop like Bruce).

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is currently only about 290 lbs. That is way to small for what we like to do at RT.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
alex_93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
He is currently only about 290 lbs. That is way to small for what we like to do at RT.

Agreed but he has been dominant in college and has the frame to put on the extra pounds. If we do draft him he will be a bit of a project but once he gets up to weigh he will be fine. He still has great strength despite his size and is a great mover.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been checking out prospects but am far from an expert. Wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on the following players as to whether they would be a good fit for the Raiders and what round they would likely be picked in.

Curtis Brown CB Texas
Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh
Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton

Any help/comments appreciated.
#clueless
mo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys were right Maehl has been really good tonight, he would be a good pick up if we was there in the 5th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: