Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you draft Matt Jones in the 2nd round?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Matt Jones Reply with quote

I think we should go after Matt Jones, taking him in the 2nd round by trading away our 1st round pick for and extra 2nd round pick, and then taking Jones and David Baas in the 2nd round pick. this guys a stud, we could line him up at WR or even at TE in 2 TE sets. i would love to have him as a raven and i think a 2nd round pick seems fair.
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure we can afford to use a roster spot and 2nd rounder on someone as raw as Matt Jones. He didn't even play receiver at all in college. Taking him in the 2nd would be a big gamble.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be somewhat risk-Huge Return possibility though. However, id like to see adam terry rather than Baas. Our OG starters are good, so we dont need immediate help or help in the next couple years barring injury.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with Bass, I agree that we need more help at offensive tackle than guard, but I think the best thing to do is to just grab the best players available, and Bass at 53 would b excellent value. He is also fairly versatile, and could play either guard position or center.

I think Matt Jones is a good prospect but the 2nd round is too high in my opinion.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea BPA, but at this point we dont know what will be on the board at 53, so we have to say what we want in particular, you know?
ravensd20

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say JOnes is worth a 3rd round pick and would love to have him, problem is he wont be there in the 3rd round, IMO some team will jump all over him beofre then.
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Ozzie, I'd honestly consider taking the kid in the first round. If he's as good as people think he can be, he'll break some of Jerry Rice's records. He'd also give the Ravens the largest pair of starting WRs in the history of the league (he and Moore are both 6' 6").
FF Member #1031
gotmatt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over on the baltimore sun forum, i've been advocating for Matt Jones... a lot of people still think of him as a project... can you believe that? and they still think he should play TE, not slot/H-back.

In Oz i trust, but i still hope he takes Matt.

p.s. if he does though people will think i chose this nick because of him like all of the ben suckabooger posters... hehe

p.p.s. i've had this nick since highschool.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is a project in that he has to learn the finer pints of being a WR, but i think he could be amazing for us
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a lot of people still think of him as a project... can you believe that?

The guy is obviously a huge project, he's never played WR in college.The fact that a college quarterback can be 6-6 and run a 4.4 forty and still not be considered an NFL QB speeks volumes about his quaterbacking abilities. You evaluate players from their game tape, not there workouts, and unfortunatley there's not much tape of MJ playing WR or TE. He could eventually become great but to expect him to make a big contribution his rookie year is stretching it. It takes more than physical skills to become a NFL wideout. Still the FO has a lot more information than any of us (unless you actually know MJ) so if they feel he's worth the risk they might be right but from where i stand they should go for a more experienced prospect.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt actually about Matt Jones in general, but about wideouts in particular. If you look at any predraft magazines, youll notice that many of the high round prospects have comments like "Must be more consistent and focused" or "drops many easy passes" or "lacks toughness and drops passes when going over the middle" I personally hope that, if we do get a WR in the draft, its someone like Josh Davis of MArshall. He will be a later round pick, but his only knoch is his lack of size and strength. He has the intelligence and quickness to get open and has outstanding hands. A consistent player like this would be a safer and possibly much better pick for us IMO than some highly touted prospect who will end up being the next Travis Taylor. If we see Jones in the 3rd (highly unlikely) or if we get a late 2nd, i would love to see him as a Raven b/c 6-6 can't be taught.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
this isnt actually about Matt Jones in general, but about wideouts in particular. If you look at any predraft magazines, youll notice that many of the high round prospects have comments like "Must be more consistent and focused" or "drops many easy passes" or "lacks toughness and drops passes when going over the middle" I personally hope that, if we do get a WR in the draft, its someone like Josh Davis of MArshall. He will be a later round pick, but his only knoch is his lack of size and strength. He has the intelligence and quickness to get open and has outstanding hands. A consistent player like this would be a safer and possibly much better pick for us IMO than some highly touted prospect who will end up being the next Travis Taylor. If we see Jones in the 3rd (highly unlikely) or if we get a late 2nd, i would love to see him as a Raven b/c 6-6 can't be taught.

good post. i'd put taylor stubbifield in the same category as josh davis. i do believe that jones should be our 2nd round pick though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Swedishraven said you evaluate players based on their ability to play football. A fast time in the 40, on its own, means nothing more than the guy can line up without pads, a helmet and a defender in front of him and run fast over fourty yards. For receivers it says nothing about coming in and out of cuts, running routes, beating the jam or catching the football!!

Those comments were made about prospects in general, and not specific to Matt Jones, but with regards to him, he has to be considered a big project because he has hardly played any WR or TE. He has great physical skills and excellent size, but you just don't know how he'll turn out.

Mentioning Jerry Rices records is ridiculous, not to mention insulting, no one even knows how good Jones would have been as a fulltime receiver in college, let alone in the NFL. He might turn out to be one of the best, but who knows, at the moment there isn't even a consensus on where he should play (WR or TE). My point is it is far too early to start making predictions without them being a total guess.

One person whos making predictions is Chris Mortensen, who is nothing more than a gossip queen and wouldn't have the first idea about evaluating a football player's talent (all he ever talks about is times in the 40 or height - is every guy that is 6"6 automatically a great professional football player?). Mortensen has said that he thinks Matt Jones is the best player in the draft. Mortensen went to Arkansas, and if Jones didn't, then Mortensen wouldn't be mentioning him at all. But because all he is able to comprehend is workout times and stats (breaking down film is a bit beyond him) he has enough information to place Jones above every other guy in the draft, and all the things they've done on the field. The stupidest thing that I've heard from Mortensen was his comparison between Jones and Mike Williams. Williams was incredibly productive as a college receiver, Jones has next to no production at that position. Yet Mortensen has seen enough to be able to say that Jones might have better hands than Williams. Call me ridiculous but unlike Mortensen I'd take Mike Williams and his slow 40 times over Matt Jones.

It's not Jones's fault that he hasn't played much receiver, but until he does, how can anyone say with any authority that he is going to be great? I think he has a very good chance of being a top player, but he might not be. There is no disputing that at this point he is a total project, and an unproven commodity as a WR/TE.

He wont last longer than the second round, but Id put a third round grade on him. There are and there are a lot of guys I would take before Jones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: