Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top offensive/defensive player for the Ravens in the draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position would you like the Ravens to draft in the first round?
Wide Receiver
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Offensive Tackle
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Quarterback
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Running Back
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Guard/Center
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Defensive End
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Defensive Tackle
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Linebacker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cornerback
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Safety
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Top offensive/defensive player for the Ravens in the draft Reply with quote

Name the offensive and defensive players from this years draft that you would most like to see in Baltimore.

Don't worry about whether they will be available with our draft pick.

My two picks are:

Mike Williams
-- I'm interested to see how he workouts for teams before the draft, but he has the total package (except for speed) and no one has more upside.

Antrel Rolle
-- Fast and big, with ideal instincts. Is aggressive in tight coverage and would fit the Ravens style. Rolle could even play free safety if Baltimore wanted him in our base defence. Adam Jones is not far behind.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really not sure mic79e. its tough but i guess if the Ravens could have any offensive and defensive player in the draft it would probably say braylon edwards and antrelle rolle, both at the top of their positions and probably our top 2 needs with no great olinemen in the draft. im not sold on williams or edwards as the top WR just yet.

Last edited by raven5255 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crickett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon Edwards - He has the speed Mike lacks and Boller will love that. How quickly people forget that Boller rose in the 2003 thanks to arm strength.

Jammal Brown - Best possible replacement for his namesake.

Antrel Rolle - HURRICANES REPRESENT!!!! Rolle and Reed in the same secondary??? Cower in fear NFL offensive coordinators,

cower

in

fear

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
mic79e

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
im not sold on williams or edwards as the top WR just yet.

I'm not sure either. Williams probably has more upside, and for some reason I've gone off Braylon Edwards since last year. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since he had a huge senior season. But I guess I'm just very sceptical of big name receivers coming from college, so many first round underachievers, and so many success stories from the third round onwards (Terrell Owens, Hines Ward, Joe Horn, Derrick Mason).

Mike Williamís production and ability to dominate might be too good to ignore though. We need to do something.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier (above, first post) that I was waiting and see what kind of shape Mike Williams was in, and I though we'd all have to wait even longer for him to work out, but that wasn't the case.

What impressed me most about Williams at the combine was not the times he ran but the fact that he did. He showed that even after Maurice Clarett ran poorly he had no concerns about his physical ability after a year off.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Newsome goes after Williams and he ends up in Baltimore. I think he will probably turn out to be a really great player, but it's difficult to judge what sort of affect a year away from the game will have on his ability to make an early impact for the team he ends up with. I think Williams is still the top prospect at receiver.
woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Name the offensive and defensive players from this years draft that you would most like to see in Baltimore.

Antrel Rolle
He won't run in the low 4.4s but what he lacks in speed he makes up for with great football skills. A complete corner who has enough upside to be one of the best in the game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is hypothetical my offensive pick would be

Carnell Williams
I think he's the top offensive player available and he'll be one of the best pure runners in the NFL for a long time. Very patient back, and the best of a real good crop. Benson may go ahead of him but he won't have a very good pro career. Even though RB is one of Baltimore's deepest positions, Jamal Lewis may not have many years left because of his punishing style, and Williams is better than Musa Smith who I think they have in place as Lewis's successor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Realistically.

If they stay at 22 I think the Ravens should draft Khalif Barnes, he would make their line a lot more mobile, and give them a replacement for Ogden.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much of Khalif Barnes but I hear his footwork is as good as any lineman in this draft. Many people say he is rising up draft boards and after his performance at the combine I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the second half of the first round.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to get some more comments on this one, or updated picks on the offensive and defensive players from this years draft that you would most like to see in Baltimore.

I'd still be happy with Mike Williams, but after adding Derrick Mason I'm going to change my choice of offensive player to:

Ray Willis RT Florida State
-- If we don't need a new RT now, we certainly will soon. Willis is one of the best prospects in the draft, just at a low profile position. He is a great run blocker and a solid pass protector. He also has a high level of character and would be a starter for us for at least a decade.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though we have boller in town, i still covet adrian mchperson. if we could get him in the 3rd round, take him. he could push boller and maybe if boller doesn't deliver (i think he will) this year, we could groom mchperson as our new guy.

defense

shawne merriman- i want this guy more than anyone. he would be downright nasty lining up opposite suggs. hes going to evolve into a 15 sack guy, and will be the best Defensive player taken from this draft.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrick Johnson- Apparently this guy is the next Ray Lewis. He would breath youth back into our LB core and just look at what we could do with him- OLB-Boulware MLB-Lewis OLB-DJ DE-Thomas DT-Gregg DT-Edwards DE-Suggs plus the best secondary in the league. An absolutly terrifying defense.

Antrelle Rolle- He has all the physical tools to be successful, with his size we can start him at FS right away and incase of injuries he cant switch to CB and be just as succesful. S. Rolle, McAllister, Reed and A.Rolle could not be passed on, bring on Peyton Manning and the Colts!

Shawne Merriman- I like DJ a little bit better then Merriman, but i would love to have Merriman, i wathced him play a lot with the terps this year and he is the real deal. We could rush him opposite Suggs and incase of injuries he could even play a little OLB.

Mike Williams- I really like Moore, but Mike Williams, Mason and Heap would acutally have to be one of the better passing offenses in the league(pending Boller). Williams doesnt have amazing speed, but he catches anything around him and runs nice routes.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the players named by BaltimoreTerp and raven5255, they would all be excellent additions to the Ravens.
woodstock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Antrelle Rolle- He has all the physical tools to be successful, with his size we can start him at FS right away and incase of injuries he cant switch to CB and be just as succesful. S. Rolle, McAllister, Reed and A.Rolle could not be passed on, bring on Peyton Manning and the Colts!

This guy is an amazing player. He has a huge upside. Even though he's not a need for the Ravens I think he would still be worth them moving up for.

I'm sticking with Khalif Barnes as who I think the Ravens will take at 22. but it could be a number of guys.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstock wrote:
raven5255 wrote:

This guy is an amazing player. He has a huge upside. Even though he's not a need for the Ravens I think he would still be worth them moving up for.

I'm sticking with Khalif Barnes as who I think the Ravens will take at 22. but it could be a number of guys.

The onlyt thing is that we would definitely not want to pay Rolle top 10 money to be our #3 corner.
ExtremRavens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe Ravens biggest need easily is DT. We need a huge run stopper the size of Sam Adams or our run defense may barely brake the top 8 overall.
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that DT is a weakness and if we don't sure it up in someway then we could have trouble stopping the run against some teams (like we did against the Chiefs last season and the Titans during our last playoff appearance).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: